Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997S front camber

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM
obsessedone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, good luck with the track alignment. Suggest you monitor outside edge wear of front tires after each session. I had front set to max. negative camber with stock hardware and corded the outside edges of my brand new front Sport Cups in a 2 1/2-day weekend at Watkins Glen (2 drivers so call it 5 track days). I didn't know to pay attention to the wear or I could have had the tires flipped inside out before they wore through (you can do that with Sport Cups even though the tread is not symetrical - just make sure to flip both tires on an axle). After that expensive lesson, I had the same mods as Ron CT - 997 GT3 front control arms and rear toe links. I now run about double the front toe you mention and front tires last 18-20 track days plus a lot of street driving. Initially, I wanted to avoid spending the bucks on the front control arms - but it is a lot cheaper than going through a $1,000 of front tires per weekend if you start doing a lot of track or autox.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessedone
Mike, good luck with the track alignment. Suggest you monitor outside edge wear of front tires after each session. I had front set to max. negative camber with stock hardware and corded the outside edges of my brand new front Sport Cups in a 2 1/2-day weekend at Watkins Glen (2 drivers so call it 5 track days). I didn't know to pay attention to the wear or I could have had the tires flipped inside out before they wore through (you can do that with Sport Cups even though the tread is not symetrical - just make sure to flip both tires on an axle). After that expensive lesson, I had the same mods as Ron CT - 997 GT3 front control arms and rear toe links. I now run about double the front toe you mention and front tires last 18-20 track days plus a lot of street driving. Initially, I wanted to avoid spending the bucks on the front control arms - but it is a lot cheaper than going through a $1,000 of front tires per weekend if you start doing a lot of track or autox.
I don't expect my actual on course autocross track time for the season to approach what you did in the equivalent of 5 track days but it still bears watching. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: 997S front camber