Sponsored by:

What to look out for when buying from a private party

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TooSixy
What happens if you find a car that you really want and the car is financed, BUT the seller is not able to pay off the car to give you the clear title? What would you do in that situation?
If you want the car you make the check payable to the lien holder and get possession immediately. I bought a car a few years ago that was leased, my price was lower than the buyout so I could have cut a check to the finance company but ended up issuing it to the seller whom I trusted. I took the car home and in a week had the title.

Bottom line: if you have any reservations about the seller or the car you won't be buying it regardless of the financing aspect. If you want the car and trust the seller you will find a way to make it work.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 AM
muscat
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your contribution.
I had overlooked the PPI, but now I will not buy a car without one. Also, I won't be getting PCM 3.0.
Also, the car belongs the Porsche Financial Services (PFS), and I think the least risky way is to pay PFS directly, and get them to send the cleared title to my address. Also, ask for a power of attorney from the seller, in order to be able to sell the car to myself, once the title is mailed to my address. Also, I will get this done at a bank, getting the bank manager to notarize all the documents related to the transaction.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
So I would skip that car and found another one.

Legally you get into dangerous territory paying cash to other person who has his car still financed. Legally he is not yet an owner. What if he uses your money to pay off his credit cards and next day dies from heart attack? Where is your car then? Or if he gets divorced next day after he pays off loan with your money and his ex-wife claims half of that car you just paid for?

Everything may be fine of course, he may be an honest person and pay off that loan with your check, in week or two time he will get stamped title and give it to you. Or may be not. I would never take such risk, not for a $50K+ cash buy.

I did it. Got a DMV bill of sale. Copies of title transfer and registration transfer and copies of the cashiers check. Ultimatly I trusted the guy. I mean I was buying his Porsche after all and if I didn't trust him then I wouldn't have trusted the car. The local dealership set everything up and provided all the necesarry documents.

Quick Reply: What to look out for when buying from a private party