Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Awww gee, here comes Debbie Downer.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Different strokes for different folks.

Take a step back everyone and realize this is a guy who has both Mustang and a Porsche. HE sees something good in both of them. He is posting about another sports car and not something that is clearly off topic like politics. Frankly, my feeling is that if a particular forum is your 'home' forum, then there is even more latitude when it comes to posting OT like material.

Now, all that being said, I think you'll find more interest in a car like a Shelby Mustang in other car forums.
As someone who tried to politely "suggest" that Mustang based posts might be better received elsewhere, I completely agree.

But I have to say that I don't really understand the mentality of multiple posts about new Mustangs in this forum in such a short period of time and then the "surprise" indicated by the response.

Most of us are car enthusiasts firsts... Porsche guys second or third. But this section of this board is specifically about 997s... not Mustangs, Kias, Lamborghini's, or Toyotas. Some pushback should be expected.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Para82
Race Car

Well for your peace of mind, the Shelby GT500 and the Shelby GT350 are the only Mustangs that I go bananas over so you shouldn't see any more Mustang posts until 2012 or until the next edition comes out.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexb76
Obviously not stock...

I actually LOVE the old Mustangs of the 60s, and don't bash cars for no reasons, but we all know in general American muscle cars are built and meant to do one thing, straight line drag racing, which is what MANY PEOPLE WANT, and there's nothing wrong with it.

At pretty much EVERY event I've been to, the only cars that did a 180 and got off the road were Mustangs. I remember last year in Bremerton, we pretty much all camped out at the last turn of the track, waiting for the Mustangs to go off... and out of the four who were out there, ALL FOUR spun out at least once, and two spun out three times!

They've come a long way, no doubt, but they're still not even close in handling to Porsches and most other German cars... value for money, I agree, you get a lot of car for the dollar!
Well to be sure neither is the BMW or Porsche's that they compete against as well.

You need to give credit where credit is due and don't be a fanbois. Obviously I put my money where my mouth is owning a 997S now for 3 years and a BMW M3 for 6...however the new Stang is not what you think it is. I am definitely considering the new GT with the 5.0L V8 making 412hp and 390 lbs of tq. The car is going to have the Track Pack and Brembo package. It ran neck and neck with an E92 M3 at Gingerman Raceway.

Dave
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Para82
Race Car

Dave you got me all pumped up for this new 5.0 engine...you know when it's going to hit the showrooms?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Gj325
Pro

[QUOTE]As someone who tried to politely "suggest" that Mustang based posts might be better received elsewhere, I completely agree.
/QUOTE]

Not into the Mustangs myself dont know much about them or care to learn. The only cars I care about are Porsche and Ferrari.

I do get on Ferrari chat a good bit as I was trying to decide if I wanted a Ferrari or the Turbo. That forum has a host of other cars in the forum in their own section. Maybe Para82 might suggest this to Admin here there maybe some Pcar people wanting to hear and chat about all of their types of cars.

I have picked up quite a bit of good info on the Ferrari Forum about Porsche. I really thought Ferrari owners would be snobs towards Porsche. Seems alot of Ferrari owners have a Porsche as a DD and love them keep the Fcar for their toy.

Just a thought.

Gj
Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Para82
Dave you got me all pumped up for this new 5.0 engine...you know when it's going to hit the showrooms?
This May...Job 1 starts mid March.

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Gj325;7299339]
As someone who tried to politely "suggest" that Mustang based posts might be better received elsewhere, I completely agree.
/QUOTE]

Not into the Mustangs myself dont know much about them or care to learn. The only cars I care about are Porsche and Ferrari.

I do get on Ferrari chat a good bit as I was trying to decide if I wanted a Ferrari or the Turbo. That forum has a host of other cars in the forum in their own section. Maybe Para82 might suggest this to Admin here there maybe some Pcar people wanting to hear and chat about all of their types of cars.

I have picked up quite a bit of good info on the Ferrari Forum about Porsche. I really thought Ferrari owners would be snobs towards Porsche. Seems alot of Ferrari owners have a Porsche as a DD and love them keep the Fcar for their toy.

Just a thought.

Gj
What I don't understand if people aren't interested in the subject why post? That way the thread dies instead of the the pissing match that always seems to ensue. If I'm not interested in the thread and don't have anything constructive to post about in that particular thread I ignore it...may I suggest the same.

Don't get me wrong I normally wouldn't post about a car that wasn't the brand speciality of the website, but it is good to have some perspective about other cars that are out there. If you don't give a damm about that car or the subject, once again see above.

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 595 Posts

[QUOTE=Dave07997S;7299523]
Originally Posted by Gj325

What I don't understand if people aren't interested in the subject why post? That way the thread dies instead of the the pissing match that always seems to ensue. If I'm not interested in the thread and don't have anything constructive to post about in that particular thread I ignore it...may I suggest the same.

Don't get me wrong I normally wouldn't post about a car that wasn't the brand speciality of the website, but it is good to have some perspective about other cars that are out there. If you don't give a damm about that car or the subject, once again see above.

Dave
Agreed - 3 pages later. Lots of people posting about the fact that they dont care for the car or feel its off topic. I'll give those that moan a tip - If you see Mustang or any other car for that matter dont click into the thread.

Serious question - what's the difference between the GT350 and GT500. Not minutia or details but overall they seem pretty close in power etc. I prefer the look of the GT350. Over the top in a nice way.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

From what I gather, the GT500 and GT350 differ in engines and how they are assembled. The GT500 will keep the 5.4 V8 supercharged, (currently an iron block and soon the alluminum). The GT350 will use a brand new engine the 5.0 V8 with a 7000 RPM redline also supercharged.

Power and performance will be very similar.

The Shelby GT500 comes off the assembly line in Flat Rock, Michigan as the Shelby GT500 and it's engines are hand built by SVT (Ford's Racing division)

My understanding with the GT350 is that it is first assembled at Ford as a regular GT and then is sent to Shelby in Las Vegas to be turned into the GT350.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
rvklein
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Admit it Para82, you like to troll. I'm not being elitist. I drive a mini van (want to trade it in for a Ford F150 crewcab but my wife won't let me) when I'm not driving a porsche.

The stang is nice but not porsche nice. It's fast & cheap. the porsche is fast and luxurious. When I'm going fast I like being surrounded in fine leather
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=rodsky;7299581]
Originally Posted by Dave07997S

Agreed - 3 pages later. Lots of people posting about the fact that they dont care for the car or feel its off topic. I'll give those that moan a tip - If you see Mustang or any other car for that matter dont click into the thread.

Serious question - what's the difference between the GT350 and GT500. Not minutia or details but overall they seem pretty close in power etc. I prefer the look of the GT350. Over the top in a nice way.
The GT500 is a much better car than the GT350. The GT350 is a GT that is sent to Las Vegas to Shelby for modification. The GT350 is some 20k more than the GT500 for what will turn out to be shoddy work by Shelby. The Shelby GT's that were done a few years back had terrible quality control, hoodpins that didn't fit right, stripes that had wrinkles in them and a host of other issues. The GT500 has a hand built 5.4L 4V (DOHC) Al. block V8 that was built to be blown, while the GT350 uses the out of the box new 5.0L 4v with a blower strapped to it. Yes it will make horsepower but to be honest I would take the GT500. A GT500 you can make up to 1000hp before the block would be toast while the GT350 is probably maxed out where it is now.

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 817 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I already purchased one. When is the next DE event?

Lets see in Florida

Chin Motorsports
Hooked on Driving
Various PCA clubregistration.net
PBOC
SAFE

Bring it out and lets see that bad boy.

Peter
Old 02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Here's a link for those who want to read up on the GT500

http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...d.php?t=480483
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 975 Likes on 545 Posts

The horsepower wars in the muscle car segment are a waste of time - the Challenger is the only sharp one, true to its retro heritage, amongst them. I don't care if they make a mustang or camaro with 1000HP for $15K, I still wouldn't buy one.

Quick Reply: 2011 Shelby GT500