Sponsored by:

997 "Valet" (Spare Key) in depth question... regarding 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
got it today, it opens the door fine.. but alarm goes off in ignition.. i think its like the regular keys where you have to "wake them up" anyone know how this is done?
With the regular key fob, to resynchronize the key with the car, you open the door with the key, insert the key in the ignition within 10 seconds, and with the key inserted you press the button on the remote for 5 seconds. Synchronization complete. Since your valet key doesn't have a button, maybe just getting it in the ignition within 10 seconds will do the trick.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disable alarm with Master key. Try inserting both Master keys and then the new key in ignition in quick succession. Leave new key in for one minute. Withdraw new key and then reinsert and try to start engine. Each car brand has slightly different procedure.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

pictures of key and the part #:

the price in the system is: 80.40 my guy charged me 47.53+tax+ship so 60$ final price shipped overnight fedex..
Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
With the regular key fob, to resynchronize the key with the car, you open the door with the key, insert the key in the ignition within 10 seconds, and with the key inserted you press the button on the remote for 5 seconds. Synchronization complete. Since your valet key doesn't have a button, maybe just getting it in the ignition within 10 seconds will do the trick.
Originally Posted by Bijan
Disable alarm with Master key. Try inserting both Master keys and then the new key in quick succession. Leave new key in for one minute. Withdraw new key and then reinsert and try to start engine. Each car brand has slightly different procedure.

so far i unlocked door with new, and put into ignition and instantly alarm goes off,

unlocked with master, put new into ignition.. alarm did NOT go off but after a minute.. nothing happens.. tried to turn over but nothing..

unlocked with master, put master in and quickly put other in.. nothing.

i think its about a certain amount of time in the ignition or a certain combination of what/when.. i guess ill call dealer tomorrow?

i just dont wanna accidentally lock something up because it think a theif is trying to get into it.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

so far i unlocked door with new, and put into ignition and instantly alarm goes off,

so im guessing unlock with master key... and then put the spare into ignition for 1 min? or unlock master put master in and then spare quick?

i just dont wanna accidentally lock something up because it think a theif is trying to get into it.
I hope you can prove me wrong, but I'm guessing that since the 997.2 isn't available with or set up for a valet key, the 997.1 valet key isn't going to be "smart" enough to interface properly with it. I can't imagine that quickly swapping keys is going to do the trick. Like you, I'd worry that I'd lock up the electronics somehow. Not like you're going to ruin anything, but a hassle to deal with. Again, hope I'm wrong.....
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I hope you can prove me wrong, but I'm guessing that since the 997.2 isn't available with or set up for a valet key, the 997.1 valet key isn't going to be "smart" enough to interface properly with it. I can't imagine that quickly swapping keys is going to do the trick. Like you, I'd worry that I'd lock up the electronics somehow. Not like you're going to ruin anything, but a hassle to deal with. Again, hope I'm wrong.....
i get where your coming from an the thought went thru my mind and the dealers mind as well..

at the end of the day, starting the car is not really a must.. as i DO have both my original keys and the main use for this key was for me to be able to get into the car after a day at the beach without worrying about ruining my main key... so as far as it unlocked the doors, which is does... is all i needed... this way i can put my original key in the car and then lock the door with the plastic key and then go do my thing at the beach... i guess the alarm does not activate however if you simply lock the door by turning the key? this is another thing ill have to figure out... so technically to go to the beach without worries i would have to... drive with master key, put master key in the car.. then manually lock the doors with plastic key.. sounds like a lot of work..

was worth a shot however, the dealer also said that prolonged use will cause the key to wear down anyways which is one of the reasons why they make the key.. so if someone got it.. and used it on the ignition it would only work for so long? ....

any other advice is welcome,
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO I would still ask the dealer for instructions. Your Master keys have similar transponders for the ignition as well as the seperate alarm activation circuit.
When extra Master keys need to be created, there has to be a way of programming them.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, My 997.1 spare key opens doors and starts the car (not a valet key). Not sure about the alarm. Maybe get one of these for the beach?
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Lol dealer said only with PWIS for 60$ to program. Such a scam. I gotta call my guy back when he's working
Old 02-25-2010, 01:26 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Lol dealer said only with PWIS for 60$ to program. Such a scam. I gotta call my guy back when he's working
Right, but there's the question of "does it/can it work" and separately, "is it worth it". Question 2 is only interesting if Question 1 is a go.

I feel like, at the very least, we owe you a "guinea pig beer" if you get to the bottom of it.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats PWIS ?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

A urinary infection!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Would love to hear if the $50 stays at that. Would be the cheapest part on a 997!
I kinda thought that $50 was too cheap. Now they want another $60 to make sure that it actually works?

You sure that key isn't coming out of Microsoft?
Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man alive!...$60 and an LUTI to program a $50 key?...what a deal! Aside from that, for me the tiny key would come in handy big time when playing sports, biking etc...where I'd want to carry a minimal amount of stuff if any...and I'd be willing to purchase and have it programmed for that price. Where are you buying it from? and thanks for being the guinea pig.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mambodoc
Man alive!...$60 and an LUTI to program a $50 key?...what a deal! Aside from that, for me the tiny key would come in handy big time when playing sports, biking etc...where I'd want to carry a minimal amount of stuff if any...and I'd be willing to purchase and have it programmed for that price. Where are you buying it from? and thanks for being the guinea pig.

i spoke to a different person than my "friend" there so ill have to call back and check, the guy who said 50$ also said theyve never heard about the holding the button to program key in the 10 years he's worked there so that made his price comment kinda BS.

i would like to carry the key like you said.. so many questions tho.. i mean the pass door doesnt even have a key hole.. so what do you do.. turn the key and it locks both doors? ive never even tried this before but just thought about it.. and to do the turn to lock, im sure it would need to be programmed? how else would i lock pass door if it didnt lock both with a turn.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I kinda thought that $50 was too cheap. Now they want another $60 to make sure that it actually works?

You sure that key isn't coming out of Microsoft?

lol

Originally Posted by stevepow
Right, but there's the question of "does it/can it work" and separately, "is it worth it". Question 2 is only interesting if Question 1 is a go.

I feel like, at the very least, we owe you a "guinea pig beer" if you get to the bottom of it.
we'll see soon enough.

Quick Reply: 997 "Valet" (Spare Key) in depth question... regarding 997.2