Poor radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Karl B
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor radio reception

Hi,
I have a question about my cars poor radio reception. Its a 06 Carrera S with Bose and Nav if that makes any difference, and does not have the separate whip antenna. The FM reception is fair at best, and I sometimes like to check traffic and sports on AM, and that reception is pathetic. I live in the suburbs of NYC and there are literally a hundred stations, my car picks up 20? Only 2 or 3 AM stations and they are very weak and broken up.

It seems like there could be a problem with the antenna, is there a way to check? Can I check station strength on the PCM? The previous owner has a concealed radar detector that was removed before I got the car, do you think something could have happened? I just got the car, and it's CPO, I just wanted some ideas before I contact the dealer. If it's simple I would fix it my self.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Ever have the windshield replaced? Before you owned it? Sometimes incompetent shops forget to reconnect things when the new windshield goes in. What you're describing sound like that. These things work much better than what you have described. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
tejoe
Advanced

Hate to tell you this, Karl, but my Bose in an 06 has never worked worth a damn (but a lot better than yours) when compared to my other cars. When it was under warranty I had a couple of dealers' service managers look and listen and they nicely blew me off saying mine was 'normal'. My salesman, using the term loosely, told me that radios and air conditioning have never been Porsche priorities.

I'd take advantage of the CPO, but you might want to have a decent radio shop with BOSE experience evaluate it if you don't get a fix.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same area (NYC). 2006 Cayman S with Bose. Terrible reception especially on AM.

I have a C4S on order and would have ordered the roof antenna (the rod antenna in front of the passenger door is an esthetic abomination) but it is not available with GPS (navigation)/satellite radio because there is no room on the roof for both. If this seems strange, it is because the sunroof slides back almost all the way to the rear window leaving very little room for more than one antenna in the middle. You would think that Porsche could make an all in one antenna that would handle broadcast and satellite access but, alas, they can't or, at least, don't.

If there is an aftermarket solution, I have not found it. But I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:30 PM
tkids
Pro

I have a 06 with standard stereo, no problem with reception. quality of the system is poor, but I always use cds with mp3s. I like my wife's new Audi with Sirus, worth the 10 dollars a month. Burn a CD with MP3s!!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Is there a way to get the Yankees game (or NPR news) on an MP3? Some things require radio. (Although the game might be available on satellite radio with a 50% chance of getting a non-local broadcaster.)

Seriously (no pun intended), there is no excuse for the poor AM-FM radio reception.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:13 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Windshield antennas are not known for their excellent reception, it was definitely an aesthetic design. If I recall, porsche actually has an external antenna option for the 911 if you are hardcore about radio reception.

461 - Rod Antenna - Mounted on roof above rear window to improve AM reception
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Would that it were so simple. Because of the limited space along the roof center line (see my first post in this thread), the roof antenna is not available if you select either the navigation or the satellite radio options. There is no room for two antennas (radio and satellite) and no combined unit.

The only solution that Porsche offers is a vertical rod antenna (not even powered, I believe) that is mounted on the fender well behind the passenger side front wheel. Ugly!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Karl B
Advanced

I have had many other cars with windsheild antenas and this one is the worst, I can't believe that this is working correctly. I have a service appointment on Monday to check it out.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:11 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Is there a way to get the Yankees game (or NPR news) on an MP3? Some things require radio. (Although the game might be available on satellite radio with a 50% chance of getting a non-local broadcaster.)

Seriously (no pun intended), there is no excuse for the poor AM-FM radio reception.
Like I said, I don't have reception problem, so if it is a serious problem in your car, get a siruis radio. I will stick to MP3s since I think Radio is crap.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

The poor function of A.M. reception is almost as much a function of the radio's capabilities as it is the winshield antenna.
996 setup is much better than 997.2.
The 993 was very good.
We're marching backward in time.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 PM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Just had my windshield replaced yesterday and of course my radio no longer has reception, the tape he put on to hold it in place took a piece of paint off during removal, and the casing for the rearview mirror wasn't put in place properly and fell off while driving. Don't get me started on the fit of the window and faux rubber sealer thing. We'll see how the company wants to remedy the situation...
Old 11-26-2023, 11:18 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I realize this is an old one. I have an ‘08 C4S, have upgraded to a top of the line Kenwood, and the radio reception is abysmal.

Does anyone know wheee the connections are if the windshield is replaced? I don’t know if mine has (new to me less than a year ago) and I’d like to check to see if it’s actually connected.
Old 12-02-2023, 11:05 AM
MarkTro
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkTro
I realize this is an old one. I have an ‘08 C4S, have upgraded to a top of the line Kenwood, and the radio reception is abysmal.

Does anyone know wheee the connections are if the windshield is replaced? I don’t know if mine has (new to me less than a year ago) and I’d like to check to see if it’s actually connected.
Just bubbling this one to the top. I’d love to know if anyone knows where the antenna connection physically is attaching the antenna connector behind the radio to the windshield?

Is there a flying lead, a Phoenix connector, or a special “Porsche type” connector? I’d love input if anyone knows.

Quick Reply: Poor radio reception