Sponsored by:

Radio Antenna Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Default Radio Antenna Question

Yesterday I was asked buy a friend who was riding in my car what the wires in the windscreen are. Radio Antenna says I.......but they're not connected to anything says he.

And he's right, at least as far as the wires running vertically up each side of the windscreen about 4 inches from each side. They seem to go stop some distance from the top and bottom of the screen.

Strange - does anyone know how they work?
Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yesterday I was asked buy a friend who was riding in my car what the wires in the windscreen are. Radio Antenna says I.......but they're not connected to anything says he.

And he's right, at least as far as the wires running vertically up each side of the windscreen about 4 inches from each side. They seem to go stop some distance from the top and bottom of the screen.

Strange - does anyone know how they work?

Without having looked in detail or learning the specifics I imagine that those separate conductors may be part of a periodic array. High frequency signals do not need physical connectivity to propagate. Those are probably part of the car phone antenna array.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:25 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine terminate at left near bottom, middle downwards and two on right near bottom. The other ends are not connected. Usually windscreen comes with short coax plugs attached and will be hidden.
Suspect for GPS, radio and possibly PCM phone.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The GPS antenna is not a part of the windshield antenna array. It's self contained within the area near where your wipers park. Both AM and FM antennas are a part of the windshield wiring.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,683 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Thanks guys - on closer inspection I see that they actually do all run to the edge of the screen - must have been the light when I first looked.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm new to Rennlist but not new to Porsches. Just purchased a 997 and noticed numerous wires/antennas in the windshield and wanted to know if any of them run horizontally? I see the three vertical ones - one on each side and on in the middle. The fourth which might be a crack runs horizontally on the passenger side about four inches above the wiper. I ask because I cannot find a chip and the crack is poker straight. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mate...we call those windscreens windshields.

FM on the passenger side and AM on the Driver side if you live in the USA. Two wires for each and they terminate on each side of the windshield using two plugs going into separate modules located under the A-Pillar Liners. You can feel the wires if you run your fingers between the gap between the window and the A-Pillar Panel/Liner.

I know because I just had my windshield replaced last Thursday and watched the installers every move. It was like watching my kid have surgery.

Quick Reply: Radio Antenna Question