Stains in Cab top

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I see they read my post above.
Actually, I read your post, and it was because they recommended this method that I chose them to do the work. So thanks for making me better informed.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:24 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Actually, I read your post, and it was because they recommended this method that I chose them to do the work. So thanks for making me better informed.
Great!

All those countless times I was faced with trying to perfect a way to suck cat vomit out of carpeting finally paid off for somebody else! That feels good THANKS!
Old 02-19-2010, 01:54 PM
LvnTheDrm
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How come Sunbrella makes no specific mention of convertible top care (everything seems marine or home related)? Are we sure these folks supply the tops? Their use of their "graphics" product in mentioning cleaning tips doesn't give me confidence is equally applicable to our ragtops?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LvnTheDrm
Are we sure these folks supply the tops?
I'm pretty sure. I'm just guessing based on my non-professional experience with boats; lots of repairs and replacements. Acrylic is the only fabric that stands up to UV. All other fabrics will fall apart after only a few years. There are some coated fabrics which withstand the elements but look closely and you can see they're "painted". Not sure if Sunbrela is the only mfgr of acrylic fabric. Only other possibility I can think of with my limited knowledge, is the Cab tops are Dacron, which is polyester, they make sails out of it. It holds up pretty well but is supposed top be covered when not in use: maybe they expect Cabs to be garaged? Nylon? would be a disaster after a few years even in a garage.

That thing that would make me totally wrong (and I don't mind that too much) is if the Cab fabric burns like cotton instead of melts like plastic. Acrylic melts. There'd be a rotting problem if it was cotton so I would be amazed if it were.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:32 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You still need to treat the top with Ragg Topp Protectant, now that it is clean. If it ain't beading water, it ain't protected. 3 coats is best, about every other year.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
You still need to treat the top with Ragg Topp Protectant, now that it is clean. If it ain't beading water, it ain't protected. 3 coats is best, about every other year.
Yeah, I will be applying 303 protectant (same as Ragg Topp) this weekend.

BTW, here are before and after photos of my top.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 05-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Stains in Cab top