Sponsored by:

PCM issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
I don't recall ever seeing that message either...
The arrow etc. will show up in center display under tach when you have entered a destination for Navigation, and then tap your lower left computer stock to scroll through displays until the arrow shows up there. If there is no "active" destination in the Nav, the center (centre) display will say "Route guidance not active". Then you tap your computer stock to bring up something useful like TPMS or audio info.

Isn't it amazing that they made this system so complicated that many of us, most of whom are reasonably intelligent, can drive these cars for years and still not fully understand how they work? Maybe VW will help bring some sanity to this interface (although it appears the 997.2 took a big step in the right direction).
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I am still learning about this stuff, Why do you prefer 33 39? I am always OCD about sticking to the factory 37 44 when cold for my PS2 s.
The TPMS on my Targa consistently displayed pressures that were about 3 psi lower than what I measured with my digital tire gauge. So I only had to drop 1 psi to trip a warning from the system, since it thought I was now 4 psi below recommended pressure. It was only useful to me as a relative indicator of pressure changes rather than absolute pressures. I'm almost glad my latest car doesn't have it so I don't have to look at false warnings on the cluster.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keninirvine
The arrow etc. will show up in center display under tach when you have entered a destination for Navigation, and then tap your lower left computer stock to scroll through displays until the arrow shows up there. If there is no "active" destination in the Nav, the center (centre) display will say "Route guidance not active". Then you tap your computer stock to bring up something useful like TPMS or audio info.

Isn't it amazing that they made this system so complicated that many of us, most of whom are reasonably intelligent, can drive these cars for years and still not fully understand how they work? Maybe VW will help bring some sanity to this interface (although it appears the 997.2 took a big step in the right direction).
Sing to the tune of "Candy-man": Who can take a simple function,... and make it all screwed up?... The P-Car can... oh... the P-Car can..."

Ken - I will try the tip on showing the arrows, thanks.

Dan - Is CDS information activated via Durametric or PIWIS, or is it a PCM menu-driven command I have missed? I see song and artist info on my PCM display, but again, I don't recall seeing it on the instruent cluster...
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As Ken alludes to, there is so much complexity to this that it can literally take years to figure all of it out. It's like learning Microsoft Excel or something!

I run 33/39 pressures all the time--Bridgestones, and with half a cargo load. Higher, and the ride is unbearable. (and I think my tire life suffers).

The CDS information could be menu driven from the PCM. I wish I could tell you definitively. You almost have to sit with another driver in a similar car and walk through the steps one at a time and coordinate as you go.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

33/39 is also recommendation for 997.2 with low load
Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
(3) Off-Road Navigation (aka Extended navigation)
What is this animal exactly and how to use it? Or at least to check if it active? I never even heard of this before.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps you have to turn on the CDS information. Sometimes it even has the song and artist displayed when listening to the radio (997.1) and the station is transmitting that stuff.
This was the functionality that got screwed up on my 08 C2S when my guage cluster was replaced. It caused quite a "to do" with the dealer, PCNA and eventually the factory.

If you don't see the information that Edgy has shown in his photo's above, you're not getting the full functionality of your car and it isn't something that you, as an owner, can change. At least that's what my dealer told me. Take your car to the dealer and get it looked at.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by Bijan
33/39 is also recommendation for 997.2 with low load
Since I have a C2S, I always run with with 34/40 with low load. The computer is still saying 33/39, but the manual says otherwise.

From 997.2 manual:
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What is this animal exactly and how to use it? Or at least to check if it active? I never even heard of this before.
I believe it's when you go to part of area that does not have digitized maps and there is no map data in the NAV hard drive/disc.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
The TPMS on my Targa consistently displayed pressures that were about 3 psi lower than what I measured with my digital tire gauge. So I only had to drop 1 psi to trip a warning from the system, since it thought I was now 4 psi below recommended pressure. It was only useful to me as a relative indicator of pressure changes rather than absolute pressures. I'm almost glad my latest car doesn't have it so I don't have to look at false warnings on the cluster.
Absolutely agree with Ken here... The TPMS, IMO, is a lousy tool for correctly measuring tire pressures. It is a good tool; however, for measuring tire pressure changes.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Extended navigation takes over in areas where you lack digitized mapping. Also, you can run a trace mode--essentially dropping breadcrumbs on your route (so that you can repeat it again sometime). Handy for a variety of reasons to me.

It also gives some different displays to you.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:16 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Extended navigation takes over in areas where you lack digitized mapping. Also, you can run a trace mode--essentially dropping breadcrumbs on your route (so that you can repeat it again sometime). Handy for a variety of reasons to me.

It also gives some different displays to you.
It is also an option above and beyond the normal navigation. Most cars don't have the extended navigation option.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

997.2 TPMS seems to work pretty well on my car - for monitoring pressure or for indicating +/- pressure corrections. Although, I still use a digital gauge.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I had ordered the extended nav. when I was setting up the car. I like having the extra information.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I had ordered the extended nav. when I was setting up the car. I like having the extra information.
My .1 had it and I'm with you Dan - at first it seemed pretty useless but I did find it helpful on a couple of occasions. I recall though that it was pretty fiddly to operate.

Quick Reply: PCM issues