Sponsored by:

OT - anyone here have a 535xiT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
that will be a sad day; however, i've read in different sources that the 5GT, being more practical, would allow the touring to be a bit more sporty than now. but not sure if that was intended for the ROW markets. for what it's worth, i believe audi killed the S4 avant for 2010, and the E-class AMG wagon similarly is also discontinued.

ironically, in terms of fun, manually-shifting, practicality (mpg notwithstanding), the cayenne gts 6-speed may be the only survivor on our shores.
a more sporty touring would be great ... but I am sceptical ... I would have loved an (R)S4 Avant ...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:06 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
Is it me, or does the new design seem uninspiring?. Seems like every manufacturer's (Lexus/MB/BMW) sedans have a common appearance.
5 series have always been a fairly safe looking car (go back as far as you want to) - other than the e60 which sometimes I like and other times I don't.

I think the f10 is back on point and on paper seems like it will be a nice car. If it is too large, then the 3 series is nice and probably more fun to drive.

If they can somehow regain the driving feel of the older cars and lose that "generic" blah road-less feel, then it will be a nice car. Or maybe the BMW demo is no longer so interested in "driving". All of my BMWs were very good and reliable cars - but I never had a turbo. I understand why they want/need to do it, but sad in a way - that old in-line six was such a blast - especially when "M'd" up!

I'd reckon the current NA V8 M3 is the most "BMW" BMW that is made today.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took delivery of my 2010 535xi touring with 6 speed manual last week. Too early to report any problems but I love the car. They were practically giving them away because it's the outgoing model. I'm paying the same lease payment as I did for my 2007 Infiniti G35x and it's a far superior car. I took a 30 month lease in the event that I really want to trade for the new model. I don't anticipate that the new x-drive wagon will actually be in showrooms for more than a year, if at all. I happen to prefer the look of the wagon to the current sedan and the available space is almost SUV-like. It's roomy, smooth and silent. It's my winter car and I like having something a little more luxurious to compliment the Porsche. I wouldn't have wanted the sport package, even if available.

David
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default We've got a 2009

We've put about 5k miles on our 2009 535ixT and absolutely love it. It handles really well, though with the RFTs, understeer is excessive in the wet, and tire noise is ridiculous. Switching to non-RFTs soon.

Also, the 5er is definitely not as good as our A6 Avant Quattro in the snow, but level of fit, finish, detail and comfort far surpasses the fairly austere Audi.

iDrive is much better than I had been led to believe.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

FYI-- i swapped out the OEM tires for Bridgestone RE960AS's and it transformed the car (225/50/17). Not only was dry handling vastly superior, but most impressive was the grip in the pouring rain and even in the snow. Totally confidence inspiring in pouring rain shooting down the Merritt-- quite a shocker in fact. in short, with those tires, this is the best car i've ever driven in the rain, and even in snow. also, never had a car that was so responsive to upgraded tires. highly recommend the switch.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Wow, thanks everyone. The people here are absolutely the most knowledgeable group of folks I've found on any forum. I really didn't expect this much response...figured one or two folks might have an opinion. I should have known better.

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife and I are looking to replace her '02 X5 3.0, which has started developing a few nuisance issues (light housing replacement, warped brakes, torn CV boots, etc.), although the engine has been bullet-proof (knocking on wood). She feels kind of guilty driving a hulking SUV that gets such crappy mileage, thus the interest in the wagon. Truth be told, the 535xiT wagon doesn't get much better mileage and is probably even heavier than her X5, so that's not terribly impressive. We test drove a CPO'd '08 535xiT in Fremont with 40K miles on it and really liked it. She doesn't want to spend full price on a new car, thus the search for '07s and '08s. I'd like a car with much less mileage than this one had (it also had a history of some HPFP issues and a turbo issue as well...thus we steered clear), and one that will be reliable. Maybe the best bet is finding an '07 (with the old 3.0 liter engine...extremely reliable, although less power) with low miles. If anyone knows anyone looking to get rid of one, PM me.

Larry, that's a truly kind gesture. Since my wife drove the '08, she knows she likes it (to be perfectly honest, she wouldn't notice the difference between a 5-series or 3-series behind the wheel...she just thinks the 5-series "looks pretty" and doesn't like the small size of the 3-series), so another drive probably isn't necessary. Now if you want to get together with the 997s and do some real driving, that's a different story...

entdoc - if you don't mind my asking, what kind of a lease did you get on the '10? That might also be an option, depending on the deal. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share the details publicly.

Thanks a ton, everyone, for the advice and the opinions. If you have more based on the additional context I provided above, fire away!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ds2k1
Wow, thanks everyone. The people here are absolutely the most knowledgeable group of folks I've found on any forum. I really didn't expect this much response...figured one or two folks might have an opinion. I should have known better.

In the interest of full disclosure, my wife and I are looking to replace her '02 X5 3.0, which has started developing a few nuisance issues (light housing replacement, warped brakes, torn CV boots, etc.), although the engine has been bullet-proof (knocking on wood). She feels kind of guilty driving a hulking SUV that gets such crappy mileage, thus the interest in the wagon. Truth be told, the 535xiT wagon doesn't get much better mileage and is probably even heavier than her X5, so that's not terribly impressive. We test drove a CPO'd '08 535xiT in Fremont with 40K miles on it and really liked it. She doesn't want to spend full price on a new car, thus the search for '07s and '08s. I'd like a car with much less mileage than this one had (it also had a history of some HPFP issues and a turbo issue as well...thus we steered clear), and one that will be reliable. Maybe the best bet is finding an '07 (with the old 3.0 liter engine...extremely reliable, although less power) with low miles. If anyone knows anyone looking to get rid of one, PM me.

Larry, that's a truly kind gesture. Since my wife drove the '08, she knows she likes it (to be perfectly honest, she wouldn't notice the difference between a 5-series or 3-series behind the wheel...she just thinks the 5-series "looks pretty" and doesn't like the small size of the 3-series), so another drive probably isn't necessary. Now if you want to get together with the 997s and do some real driving, that's a different story...

entdoc - if you don't mind my asking, what kind of a lease did you get on the '10? That might also be an option, depending on the deal. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not share the details publicly.

Thanks a ton, everyone, for the advice and the opinions. If you have more based on the additional context I provided above, fire away!
always happy to dust off the GT3
Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

FYI-- i swapped out the OEM tires for Bridgestone RE960AS's and it transformed the car (225/50/17). Not only was dry handling vastly superior, but most impressive was the grip in the pouring rain and even in the snow. Totally confidence inspiring in pouring rain shooting down the Merritt-- quite a shocker in fact. in short, with those tires, this is the best car i've ever driven in the rain, and even in snow. also, never had a car that was so responsive to upgraded tires. highly recommend the switch.
useful info - cant wait to lose those Dunlop RFT's - after 3 days on the Nordschleife there were "chunks" missing from the sidewalls!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:56 PM
entdoc
Instructor

I'm in Canada so the specifics might be a bit different. The car currently only comes fully equipped (no options - only the choice of colours, wood trims and auto vs. manual transmission). They discounted the MSRP by 13.5%, Residual was 53% of MSRP (20k/year) and lease rate 3.5%. At the end of the lease, I'll have to give the car back because there is no way it will actually be worth the residual value. They don't sell a lot of wagons - even less common with manual transmission.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Truth be told, the 535xiT wagon doesn't get much better mileage and is probably even heavier than her X5, so that's not terribly impressive . . . . Maybe the best bet is finding an '07 (with the old 3.0 liter engine...extremely reliable, although less power) with low miles.
for what it's worth, my 530xit gets 23.5 mpg all around 70/30 hwy/city, with most hwy miles at 75+ mph. this is per OBC, so not 100% accurate but good indicator-- not bad for a 4100lb awd wagon.

i happen to think picking up a CPO 5 series, whether sedan or wagon, is one of the best luxury car bargains out there. off 3 year lease, looking at bit less than 50% off msrp, full CPO warranty, and if you negotiate right, added extended maintenance is a huge bonus. In addition to what i think are bmw's superior driving dynamics compared to other DD-type cars (esp with manual tranny option), the ease of getting bmw's serviced, with pretty liberal warranty standards, along with easy loaner policies, makes bmw's a no brainer for my DD. i've been very happy with our 5 wagon.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:29 PM
ds2k1
Racer

for what it's worth, my 530xit gets 23.5 mpg all around 70/30 hwy/city, with most hwy miles at 75+ mph. this is per OBC, so not 100% accurate but good indicator-- not bad for a 4100lb awd wagon.

i happen to think picking up a CPO 5 series, whether sedan or wagon, is one of the best luxury car bargains out there. off 3 year lease, looking at bit less than 50% off msrp, full CPO warranty, and if you negotiate right, added extended maintenance is a huge bonus. In addition to what i think are bmw's superior driving dynamics compared to other DD-type cars (esp with manual tranny option), the ease of getting bmw's serviced, with pretty liberal warranty standards, along with easy loaner policies, makes bmw's a no brainer for my DD. i've been very happy with our 5 wagon.
Thanks for the info. Think it's only a matter of time before we get one. I think I'd prefer an '07 to an '08 at this point...reliability is a big issue for us.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info. Think it's only a matter of time before we get one. I think I'd prefer an '07 to an '08 at this point...reliability is a big issue for us.
I am in a somewhat similar situation, lease on wife's MB GL450 is about to end and she does not want another SUV, but is no wild about wagons. I have been searching for 2008 535is, they are out there but wagons are rare.2007s are more plentiful.

BTW for March if you buy a CPO BMW from a dealer you get the extended warranty (up to 6 yrs/100k) and either extended maintenance for the same period or .9% financing, not sure of the term. I would grab the maintenance myself, one brake job and it's paid for.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:35 AM
cipolz
1st Gear

Hi lucky people.
I am looking for a 535xiTouring with a manual transmission and this post came up on my search.
If any of you lucky owners are interested in selling it to me I'd be delighted.
I am located just North of SF, CA.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: OT - anyone here have a 535xiT?