Sponsored by:

sport chrono

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:09 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by uvgaal
I tell them the gps registers the spot where u start it and then automatically resets everytime u cross that spot.
Now that would make it useful.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the "german watch" fake explanation. Maybe add that it's a metric watch.

When you think of it? Porsche maybe made a significant miscalculation.

I mean every passenger who gets into a SC equipped car is going to get a little explanation from the driver/owner that apparently has got about an 85% chance of leaving the passenger with a negative impression of Porsche. They'll have at least one small impression that Porsche is not beyond doing stupid things.

That's bad in a bad way.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like Metric watch. With PDK though, you need to have it - useless or not.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:51 PM
TooSixy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That SC option with PDK gives you Launch Control
Old 01-31-2010, 12:08 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Dash mounted stop watches have been a feature of many sports cars since the beginning of the 20th century and were popular and usefull in rallying, for example. Even today some people are into time and distance rallies, and the stopwatch would be very usefull. The sport chrono is simply a modern interpretation of a classic theme. It may not be the most elegant presentation, but the Porsche dash doesn't have a lot of spare real estate, so it ended up where it is. I think it's an interesting feature; I certainly don't think it's ugly. If someone asks about it, I just tell them it's a stopwatch and that many classic sports cars over the years have had them. If they don't get it, it's their problem.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-31-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Mike. I like mine. Don't use it alot, but do use it some when on trips and want to know how long it takes to get to certain points. Try clocking your trip home and then try and best your times, it make the drive home more interesting.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I think it's an interesting feature; I certainly don't think it's ugly.
I don't mean to invalidate your individual opinion which you have every right to have and share with guys here, but FWIW, The car magazines started calling it "The Wart" when it was first introduced. It seems it was immediately disliked by professionals reviewing the new model at introduction.

It's meant for timing laps since only driver has control of it. It's hard to justify as road rally equipment. If Porsche saw fit to put the TACH or even a clock on the dash I guess it would make more sense. The fact that Porsche put a useless thing on the dash makes some Purist Porschephiles mad.

I guess it's fine, IMO, I don't notice it as much anymore. When I first got mine I thought it would have been better to have a nice unobstructed dash though.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I don't mean to invalidate your individual opinion which you have every right to have and share with guys here, but FWIW, The car magazines started calling it "The Wart" when it was first introduced. It seems it was immediately disliked by professionals reviewing the new model at introduction.

It's meant for timing laps since only driver has control of it. It's hard to justify as road rally equipment. If Porsche saw fit to put the TACH or even a clock on the dash I guess it would make more sense. The fact that Porsche put a useless thing on the dash makes some Purist Porschephiles mad.

I guess it's fine, IMO, I don't notice it as much anymore. When I first got mine I thought it would have been better to have a nice unobstructed dash though.
I don't feel invalidated. Seriously, the dashboard chrono isn't useless (I mean it IS a perfectly functional stopwatch), and as a Purist Porschephile myself (after 25 years and 4 Porsches I think I qualify) it doesn't make ME mad. And while the "professional" reviewers may sometimes provide usefull objective data on car performance, I don't much care what their subjective thoughts are regarding matters of personal taste; I'm capable of forming my own opinions about those things, thank you.

Anyway, I get that some people don't care for the chrono or it's location. It just seemed overboard to me to call it ugly, hence my original comment that I didn't get what all the fuss was about. But hey, ugly is in the eye.....well you know.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a fan from a lap time or aesthetic perspective.

But to have PDK without sport plus is a crime (part of sport crono package), as it gives a whole new dimension of driving to many.

Turbo, in sport allows 10 second overboost (I forget specifics but I think it is 1.2 to 1.4bars).

How about sport and sport plus w/o stopwatch, yea in a perfect world.....
Old 01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I don't feel invalidated. Seriously, the dashboard chrono isn't useless (I mean it IS a perfectly functional stopwatch),
Thanks friend.

It's an emotional issue for some: wart or no wart.

Yes, The stopwatch is good, FWIW, lets me know how much time I spend on the road doing routine things. Oh! And the all important: waiting in the car for someone to make a "quick trip" into a store.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marco8
But to have PDK without sport plus is a crime (part of sport crono package), as it gives a whole new dimension of driving to many.

Turbo, in sport allows 10 second overboost (I forget specifics but I think it is 1.2 to 1.4bars).
Absolutely! YES. Can't NOT get SC just because of the dashboard protuberance! What's funny is "everybody" complains about it (not necessarily here) but nobody actually removes it from the dash as described above.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:02 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to use it for the first time on the Nevada Classic Open along with the on board computer averages. Hope I hit the start button just right with all the excitement!

Quick Reply: sport chrono