Sponsored by:

Anyone using cheap tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Thats a really awesome story but unfortunately its simply a useless anecdote.
anecdote is to anticipate that $100 tire performs nearly at same level as $500 tire.

look for actual reviews on tirerack and other sites where people who drive similar cars leave their comments about tires you would like to choose.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:38 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
On the street I prefer safety to thrills.
Me too. So I never put different tires on front than the back. I admit we have PSM to bail us out of a stupid situation, but PSM only takes into account the stability of the car, not what an unexpected change in path and orientation can do. Or what might be the cost of an inability to achieve some maneuver you desperately needed.

Gary
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcate
'06 "S" 19"

27K miles

I

Anyone ever used Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110's? Can buy 2 sets for the

thanks
LOL
i saw your thread and thought to myself, i gotta tell this guy about the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110's

Yes, buy them in confidence.
Well worth the money
i run 245-35 X 18 front and 295-30 X 18 rears and like them.
My primary use for them - AX in dry weather.

cheers

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 01-29-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
one of our PCA members went out and thought he would save some money and bought some "Han%$%#$%#" tires (no name) despite what the tire shop told him. We were out on a run with him in his 996 Turbo. He was driving like a girl. Later he told me that there was something wrong with the car, and it felt very unsafe to go much about 60. He went back to the tire guy--and adopted their recommendation. The Han$#$#%$# tires went back and he was back to matching tires from/rear. With the AWD cars it is substantially a bigger deal.
LOL
P car people and their tire fetishes are most interesting.
I find the level of "toeing the Porsche company" line regarding the ONLY TIRES YOU CAN POSSIBLE SAFELY USE pretty stunning and amusing.

Not speaking to the OP specifically,so please don't take it personally , but his post caused me to post.

I have 4 sets of wheels tires
Bridgestone Re050s
Yoko Ad07
Nitto NT01
Hankook Ventus

they all work very well in dry situations, the Bridgestones and Hankooks keep me alive in the rain.
tire life = not interested.
noise = the yokos and Nittos are louder than i would put up with on a daily driver
grip = they all kick a$$

if i had to choose only one set out of the 4 for al around use, i'd go Bridgestone.

I've got to admit that i too am "tire opinionated" because i think there is pretty much ZERO chance i'd but Pirellis or Michelins for my application.

be safe

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 03-22-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Dan I really do think you need to upgrade your black/white view of Hankooks etc. Tire technology has come a long way, and these tires are scoring well. To each his own though.

I have the Bridgestones now and they are great, with one exception. They flat spot a lot.

I used to buy only Michelin's with the old "its a P-car you have to buy the best mentality" but I have to say the up/comers are changing my views. Competition is good!

Oh, and definitely don't ,mix brands and treads across axles. That's just dangerous
Old 01-30-2010, 11:02 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
My previous experience with Pirellis was similar to OP. They tended to flat spot very easily and hard to balance. However, my current 2008 997S came with PZero Rossa and I have had no issues with them. I was concerned about the tires when I saw that was what the car came with from factory. To be honest, I like them as well as I did the PS2 on my previous 997S. I don't track the car, so I am only talking about street use. That said, still not sure I would by them again ,other than one replacement cycle on the rear, because of my previous negative experience with Pirelli.
Oh, so his Carrera came w different Pirelli's than yours and thee 997.2s?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:28 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Oh, so his Carrera came w different Pirelli's than yours and thee 997.2s?
Lol, correction! My 997.2S came w Pilot Sports! Guess Porsche got the idea and dropped the Pirellis!
Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

There is a lot of 'trash talking' about different manufacturers here. Funny stuff.

Hankook is an example which many seem to think isn't worthy of a Porsche. Despite the fact that they came as OEM on Cayennes.....
Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Lol, correction! My 997.2S came w Pilot Sports! Guess Porsche got the idea and dropped the Pirellis!
Nope, they come with the newer N2 spec Pirelli's. Got great reviews at Tirerack.

Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Nope, they come with the newer N2 spec Pirelli's. Got great reviews at Tirerack.

Dave
Agreed... this is also R8 OEM tires, and they are fantastic! Would be my next set of tires after I get through my PS2.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the varius tires and find my HTRZ3 is the best rubber for the money about 100.00 per tire
Old 02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Like a lot of members here I've had many years of track experience, including doing a lot of what we call race craft instruction for our local Alfa Romeo club. I know they're not Porsches but being one marque you get to drive a lot of different examples of the same model car, some new, some old, some well maintained and some not so well looked after.

From that experience I'd say this. Individual cars vary in themselves. One example of a particular model is not always the same as the next - they can handle a bit different, ride a bit different and so on. Sometimes the differences are obvious at all speeds but usually you need to push a bit to find them.

Tires make a huge difference on new or older cars alike. Take a car that handles a particular way on one type of tyre, put it on something else regardless of whether that other tire is classified as a similar level and it will generally handle and behave noticeably differently. Maybe more understeer, more oversteer, more or less overall dry or wet grip. Something will change.

How you drive and look after those tyres also makes a big difference, as do minor changes to geometry. An aggressive driver - we all know them, fast in, loads of understeer, slow out - will pretty much always cook their front tyres within a few corners so they loose grip and the rubber just falls off. Once you've done it yourself a couple of times you know how it feels through the wheel.

Having said all that I have no fundamental objection to mixing tyres front to rear. On the same axle, never, and R-compound / slicks at one end with normal at the other same deal. Don't do it and won't drive someone else’s car set up like that. In fact our club fails a car at scrutineering if presented that way.

But good quality rubber at both ends of the different types is OK by me both for road and track. I just follow the basic rules and have done so for 35 years.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you have to, I suppose you are entitled to running retreads on your 997. To each their own opinion and budget.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
... I have the Bridgestones now and they are great, with one exception. They flat spot a lot.
The RE050A N1 I have do not flat spot. The N1 version is a significant improvement over the N0.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The RE050A N1 I have do not flat spot. The N1 version is a significant improvement over the N0.
can you compare RE-11 to RE050A N1 if you had a chance to try both?

Quick Reply: Anyone using cheap tires?