Sponsored by:

Anyone using cheap tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 PM
jca3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
I just got a great deal on some OEM wheels in excellent shape, they have Pzero N1s on them with some tread left. I was thinking about using them til the tread is gone. Any thoughts on how to tell which tires were originally on the left or right, cause I dont want to switch sides on them.
There should be a directional arrow on the tire
Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I agree with this completely. There are a number of tires on the market that offer better dry and wet summer performance than the PS2... <snip>

...and Yokohama Advan Neovo AD08 offer top performance wet and dry, and IMHO, even if price is no object, are the best possible street tires you could put on a Porsche today.
I'd like to hear more from anyone who has tried the new Yokohama Neova's. I've always read great things about this tire. Furthermore, the price is so much more reasonable compared to the Porsche N choices.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
To be clear, I was not suggesting that Hankooks are #1 for racing or track days. I was simply stating that a street variant Hankook performed well at the track (wet and dry) compared to an R-Compound tire on the same car.

Regardless of brand, if a cheap street tire can do well at the track, then they can certainly hold their own on the street.
May be, may be. But my next street tires will be RE-11.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm really loving my RE-11s. I'd take them over PS2s or PZero Rossos any day. They're strictly street tires for me, although I'll use them on the track if it's wet and the opportunity presents itself.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I'm really loving my RE-11s. I'd take them over PS2s or PZero Rossos any day. They're strictly street tires for me, although I'll use them on the track if it's wet and the opportunity presents itself.
PS2 are great and grip is excellent but they are way too firm on 19" rims. That is my only grudge against them.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Apparently you are new to the Porsche experience. You buy a high performance sports car and then bitch about tire life? You're the wrong owner. Sell the car. I've even seen some people put RETREADS on Porsches. There's something really wrong there.

This doesn't mean you can't be smart about what you buy. Mine came with the Bridgestones and I like their mileage and price. The Michelins are much higher in price and are worse at mileage. Ditto for the Pirellis. If Yokohamas prove viable, that's an option. But I would personally stay clear of the Hankook and Kumhos.
I agree with you regarding people expecting passenger car tire life from a high performance car! All of that grip you get certainly has a trade off!

Yokis are a very good option indeed and they are Porsche rated for what that's worth!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:55 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

after reading all this, i bought some OEM pzero n1's

I wish there was some kind of consensus on this issue
Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
after reading all this, i bought some OEM pzero n1's

I wish there was some kind of consensus on this issue
let me know how you like them (via PM) I am thinking about getting the same tires
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
let me know how you like them (via PM) I am thinking about getting the same tires
Same here. I tested an R8 with Pzero on them on track and it was simply awesome!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:35 PM
irysfan
Intermediate

Smile

I go by this - Porsche's OEM tires is for ~80% DD / 20% Track. Stay with the OEM or similar tires if that's how you drive the car. If it's only DD, any new tires from a reputable manufacturer should be adequate with an average driver. If a Civic can stay on the road with cheap tires, so should a 911. If not, god bless. If it's more track, then start with OEM and move towards the softer and competition categories of tires.

If you drive on the street like you do on the track, then lean more towards track use. If it's for winter driving, get the Xbow with winter package

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10812151...winter-package
Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
I'd like to hear more from anyone who has tried the new Yokohama Neova's. I've always read great things about this tire. Furthermore, the price is so much more reasonable compared to the Porsche N choices.
I just bought a set of AD08's for my 997 C2S, as a track day/summer tire (still too cold here to use them on the street, esp at night).

I love them, did a track day at Barber with them 2 weekends ago and they were vastly superior to the Pzero Rossas that came with the car. much better grip, more consistent at the limit, didn't fall off after several laps, etc. wear seemed to be good too...I did six heat cycles/ roughly 200 miles on track and the tires easily have multiple track weekends left on them.

I haven't had them on the street yet so I'll report back when I do.

FWIW, I'm currently using Bridgestone Potenza M+S tires as my winter/daily driver tire. that is also a great tire for its intended purpose.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Whatever one's opinions are on the issue of tires it's gratifying to know that we can express those opinions herein and let others take the opinions or leave them. This is the advantage of the Rennlist--cross talk.

EVERYONE'S situation is a bit different. Some is driven by environment (is it cold most of the year where you garage the car or is it terribly hot); some driven by your driving style (always well under the potential of the car; your budget for wear items; and finally, what you want the car to do for you.

As I stated in a very early response to this thread, I have found that sometimes Porsche doesn't work with all tire manufacturers to jointly develop a tire. When the Pirelli P7 was all the rage (roughly late 1970s to early 1980s) I switched to Yokohama A008s (although some naysayers were telling me that "someone wrote all over your tires in Japanese"). They were a much more predictable tire on the edge than the P7s could ever be. The bottom line is how you as an individual drive. What works for you, and what you're comfortable driving with. I've been driving 911s since my early 20s and know them to be significantly 'dialed in' better today to make drivers appear to look good--and part of how they do that is with the tires.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Edgy01;7262102]Apparently you are new to the Porsche experience. You buy a high performance sports car and then bitch about tire life? You're the wrong owner. Sell the car. I've even seen some people put RETREADS on Porsches. There's something really wrong there.

WAD
Old 03-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Grow up.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:27 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have brigestone turanza serenity all around October to April then back to ps2 for warm weather. The brigestones are super in the wet and ride much better. They are also much quieter. This combination gives me years of tread including track days on the ps2. The brigestones are superior around town or long trips when fully loaded but give out at about 80% when sporting it.

Quick Reply: Anyone using cheap tires?