Sponsored by:

How To: Jacking up a 997 safely, securely

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by L.C. - NYC - 95 993
Can you tell me what floor jack you are using? Going to pick up a set of jack points and want to make sure the floor jack will fit. Was looking at the following:Torin Aluminum Race Jack with Single Piston Pump — 1 1/2-Ton, Model# T8150121.

Thanks
I think the Torin model you have is a single handle jack (has a handle on one side of the jack). Most racing style jacks with two handles will fit, so yours shouldn't be a problem. The 14.5 inch lift height should be fine.

One other thing to check is your particular car in terms of pickup height. The Torin - I believe - has a minimum lift height of 3.5 inches. That won't be a problem unless your car is lower than 4.5 inche off the ground.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:19 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overkill, but safe.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sullivas
Overkill, but safe.
When you consider the price of fancy jack stands, buying 4 jacks is probably cheaper!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I use this craftsman 4000lb lightweight jack. they have a similar jack at JEGs etc. They're probably all made at the same chinese manufacturer with few different stickers applied. I just didn't want to wait to get something in the mail so I bought the craftsman one down the street at sears.

fits in the porsche trunk if you pull the handle off.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2011, 03:25 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kuhan
When you consider the price of fancy jack stands, buying 4 jacks is probably cheaper!
That is currently true (at least if you buy those HFT jacks on sale), but hopefully won't always be the case. However, that pictured setup is about 300+ lbs. and a fair chunk of space in a garage or trailer. Not easy if you're leaving your garage for the track. Another thought - could 3 guys push on any side of the car on that set up and not worry about it moving? If it's that secure then it looks like a viable alternative for home use to me.
The fancy jack stands I have are cast and finished one at a time in Illinois. They are an alternative that didn't exist a year ago. They are really stable. New product, limited production, US made and - for now - not cheap. Not the only alternative, but something really different.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Although I like my lighter aluminum floors jacks (have 2) I much prefer my old steel Craftsman 3 ton one!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Those HFT jacks that Sullivas shows above are monster heavy (by comparison to aluminum), but actually a very nice garage jack for a cheap price. Low pick up height (under 3") for the lowered cars and wide base so pretty stable - hard to find in a jack for $60 (on sale). They also have the racing style jack plate rather than the big metal claw that tears apart the underside of the car. That Craftsman jack is also quite nice. (Both work with a certain fancy jack stand).

Last edited by jpoint; 05-01-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I don't have to resort to any sort of fancy low-profile floor jack. These are just conventional Sears Craftsmans.

Jackstands. I sourced these in the photos through a guy on Rennlist--993 Forum. Much to be found and learned on the other forums. They are the best stands I have ever owned. I loan out my others!

I buy hockey pucks whenever I'm in the north country--Minnesota, Jackson Hole, etc. There are sporting goods stores in large cities that support hockey.
Edgy,

I noticed in your pics your using pucks not only with the jack stands but also with the ENSCO Jackstands under the body lifting points? Considering the AC jackstands already come with a thick rubber pad, what's your thought process behind using the pucks with stands?

BTW, I just got my set of ENSCO Jackstands and wow, these puppies are beefy!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Muscled--just elevates things bit further adding the pucks. Nothing sinister!
Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Muscled--just elevates things bit further adding the pucks. Nothing sinister!
Makes sence!

Speaking of which, what max height on ENSCO stands whouls you be comfortable with? ( I saw in pic you have pin in 2nd hole from top.)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried Dan's hockey puck recommendation today, they worked great. Only the rear end is lifted in these pictures.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 AM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I am actually using four Harbor freight aluminum racing jacks to jack up mine and found this to be pretty easy with the only quirk being that you have to walk around to jack up the car evenly. I know many are skeptical of their quality but you can pick up 4 of these for 240 around xmas time. They are very light and pretty well made considering just about all jacks are made in china. They have integrated rubber jacking pads and not the nasty teeth which is a plus. One big plus using 4 jacks is that you can level the car.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
I am actually using four Harbor freight aluminum racing jacks to jack up mine and found this to be pretty easy with the only quirk being that you have to walk around to jack up the car evenly. I know many are skeptical of their quality but you can pick up 4 of these for 240 around xmas time. They are very light and pretty well made considering just about all jacks are made in china. They have integrated rubber jacking pads and not the nasty teeth which is a plus. One big plus using 4 jacks is that you can level the car.
PLEASE DON'T EVER GET UNDER A CAR LIFTED THIS WAY !!! (unless you are using four jackstands as well) Any one of the four jacks could fail ... and you can get killed.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aaks38
...One big plus using 4 jacks is that you can level the car.
I would never get under a car supported by jacks either. For an oil change I use 2 jacks and 2 jackstands . I lift the rear with the 2 jack and put the 2 jackstands in place in the rear. Then I get under there and start the oil draining. While it's draining I raise the front of the car with the 2 jacks so that it's level. I don't get back under the car to finish until AFTER I lower the front end back on the ground.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
I tried Dan's hockey puck recommendation today, they worked great. Only the rear end is lifted in these pictures.
Figuring out where to lift the back end without using the official jack points where the jack stands go is always the difficult task for me.

Quick Reply: How To: Jacking up a 997 safely, securely