Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did You Know This About Seat Belt Alarm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did You Know This About Seat Belt Alarm?

Driving away and I forgot to click the seat belt. Very unusual.

Anyway, I figure I'll just keep going seatbeltless to see how long I can go until the ringing chime drives me crazy.

Surprise! After a few dozen(?) rings it stops ringing!

Then I notice the OBC display is still red hot telling me to buckle up.

SURPRISE AGAIN: push the OBC stalk forward (or was it pull it backward?) and the red hot warning lights go off!

RESULT: driving without a seat belt become a reality!

Good information, huh? It can get you killed but you'll be more comfortable getting there.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

It sounds like you're finally getting to know your car. Yes, it's actually somewhat convenient so that you don't have to endure that forever.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:17 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Its important information when you also want to keep the car running with the a/c on after a drive through burger joint.
abe
Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I can't drive any car without a seatbelt properly set without slack, for any distance, even moving a car in a parking lot. It just does not feel right to me without it.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by ADias
I can't drive any car without a seatbelt properly set without slack. It just does not feel right to me without it.
Yes. Gotta have that belt to literally feel safe. "I want to be thrown clear" just doesn't work anymore.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Surprise! After a few dozen(?) rings it stops ringing!

Hmmm, mine keeps chiming away forever...........................
Old 01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Yes. Gotta have that belt to literally feel safe. "I want to be thrown clear" just doesn't work anymore.
It's not a question of feeling safe. It's a feeling of being one with the machine. You should try it yourself.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 PM
LlBr
Drifting

It's not a question of feeling safe. It's a feeling of being one with the machine. You should try it yourself.
"Safe" vs. "one with the machine." Hummm.
YEP! You're absolutely right! I'll try "one with the machine."
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

I like the extra safe one! I know that the flash loads are country specific but up here to seatbelt chime goes on or about a minute. Dealers can program the system to shorten the duration. I used to get annoyed when wearing my 6 pt harness at the track. I finally got an Audi seatbelt buckle and use that to shut it up
Old 01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can't drive any car without a seatbelt properly set without slack, for any distance, even moving a car in a parking lot. It just does not feel right to me without it.
I always snug the belt after I click in. That, combined with the Sport Buckets, really keeps me planted in the seat. I can't imagine driving without a seat belt on.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:32 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Me either. Last time I "just went around the corner" and didn't buckle up was in 1965. The lady who hit us from behind totaled our Volvo P540 so we did get to buy an MG Midget with that plus the damage settlement. On the other hand, we had headaches for months afterward and I wouldn't recommend it as a way to change cars.

Now it is second nature to belt up, although I must say it's exciting in a open-cockpit car when the pit-exit inspector accidentally releases your belt instead of checking to see it's been tightened. Turned out I had forgotten to tighten my helmet strap as well. (A very bustling and obviously ill-managed pit stop.) Between us we made that first lap one where I wish I'd had one of these modern in-car cameras. A video would be priceless. Into second gear at about 80 mph my shoulder belts flew up and started flapping. Had no time to fix them through a series of four corners on the airport track, so I just endured. Just when I thought to spare time for the belts on the next straight, my helmet lifted up until my nose caught on the visor opening as I passed 110 or so.

On the whole, I recommend tightening belts (and helmets as the case might be) while sitting still. But the crew, and Cindy, couldn't quit laughing when I came back to the pits to uh... zip up effectively. Seems the corner workers are terrible gossips and I must have looked like a clown act making that last half lap with a helmet popped up and my belts waving like yacht pennants.

Gary
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

"Safe" vs. "one with the machine." Hummm.
YEP! You're absolutely right! I'll try "one with the machine."
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I like the extra safe one! .....
Me too! An additional benefit is that they appear to have their own built in "air bags!"
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
hausherrs
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche can disable the alarm. My dealership did mine when the 5-pt was installed.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

I like the extra safe one! I know that the flash loads are country specific but up here to seatbelt chime goes on or about a minute. Dealers can program the system to shorten the duration. I used to get annoyed when wearing my 6 pt harness at the track. I finally got an Audi seatbelt buckle and use that to shut it up
I did pretty much the same thing.... got a pristine VW buckle from the salvage yard.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I did pretty much the same thing.... got a pristine VW buckle from the salvage yard.
If I'm using a multi-point belt in a car that's still fitted with the inertia reel belt I normally just clip the belt up behind the seat - doesn't this work in a 997?

Quick Reply: Did You Know This About Seat Belt Alarm?