Sponsored by:

Damn - just kerbed a wheel at 30-40mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn - just kerbed a wheel at 30-40mph

Hi. I just kerbed the passenger side front wheel of my C2S at 30-40mph on a "chicane" whilst on a "spirited drive" this afternoon. Apparent damage is 25 cm grinding of alloy wheel rim, which looks as though it will sand, fill and paint away, and 1 mm strip on edge of tyre peeled off, but no obvious damage to main sidewall. It looks as though the tyre took the impact first and then the alloy at a glancing angle. Frankly it looks no worse than a parking misjudgement.

The car drove 10 fast, twisting miles home without obvious ill-effects (I took it much easier than normal, keeping within 30-50mph) but, given the speed of the impact, I'm concerned about hidden damage.

Apart from the obvious advice: take it to the OPC to check the axle, steering, alignment etc, has anyone got any tips as to what I should look out for in the time before I can get it checked?

Thanks guys
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

not supposed to hit Curbs with wheels.. hopefully all is ok,
Old 01-17-2010, 01:01 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! I guess the "glancing angle" aspect is good. Nice to hear you're not too upset about getting the wheel looking normal again. Drive home was good. Heck, I bet after a little alignment adjustment you'll be fine.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Yeah. Just taken a second look and rear wheel is also badly scuffed around most of the rim (tyre looks fine) - hadn't noticed that at first as the impact was felt at the front. That'll teach me to drive in slush with Sports Chrono on (PSM mildly-disabled). Must have skidded into the kerb.

I'm comfortable detailing my wheels, it's a bent axle that would worry me.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Yeah. Just taken a second look and rear wheel is also badly scuffed around most of the rim .
Maybe the wife or kid did THAT when you were at work.

kidding, trying to cheer you up.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Cheers. Made me grin. But I'm afraid there's only one guilty look in the family and its all mine

Last edited by Betternotbigger; 01-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:26 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

You may find that the wheel is slightly bent (in addition to the cosmetic damage you mentioned). I hit a curb hard with my previous car (E46 M3) and I got the vibration at speed. I took it in to get the wheel balanced, and they could not properly balance it because it was out of round. I ended up replacing the wheel after living with it for a while.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:15 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Hi. I just kerbed the passenger side front wheel of my C2S at 30-40mph on a "chicane" whilst on a "spirited drive" this afternoon. Apparent damage is 25 cm grinding of alloy wheel rim, which looks as though it will sand, fill and paint away, and 1 mm strip on edge of tyre peeled off, but no obvious damage to main sidewall. It looks as though the tyre took the impact first and then the alloy at a glancing angle. Frankly it looks no worse than a parking misjudgement.

The car drove 10 fast, twisting miles home without obvious ill-effects (I took it much easier than normal, keeping within 30-50mph) but, given the speed of the impact, I'm concerned about hidden damage.

Apart from the obvious advice: take it to the OPC to check the axle, steering, alignment etc, has anyone got any tips as to what I should look out for in the time before I can get it checked?

Thanks guys
Have alignment checked. I brushed a curb in a dark parking lot early one AM and didn't even scuff the wheel of my Boxster. When I had new tires installed and an alignment done the side that brushed the curb was out, toe was out.

First time I ever did this in my Porsche. P*ssed me off. I'm usually very very careful but was up way too early and just forget where I was in the lot.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:29 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Take a critical look at the tire. Watch for bulging in the sidewall which sometimes happens with a hard strike, breaking internal cords. Just keep an eye on it.

I did something similar awhile back and the problem was strictly cosmetic. Had a couple wheels redone. It's not particularly expensive (for the majority of wheels.) For the Carrera Sports it's more as the finish is machined, while the others (save the forged) can be filled and painted.

Best of luck. Sometimes, too, it may be simply cheaper to purchase another wheel, particularly if the wheel is no longer true.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Thanks for the input guys.

Fortunately my OPC can perform an alignment tomorrow morning (I thought it might be much longer - there's been so many ice- and snow-related accidents in the UK this month) so I'll ask him to check for tyre integrity and wheel deformation as well as axle damage at the same time.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Update

Had an alignment done today, as recommended by a few of you, and the wheels were well within original tolerance. Axle, suspension, tyres all passed fit.

That car must be pretty well screwed together because the rear wheel looks like an alligator has been chewing it.

All it's going to cost me is £130 ($200) for repairs to two wheels + the alignment costs, but the latter has given me peace of mind, which is a currency that continues to appreciate with each passing day.

Quick Reply: Damn - just kerbed a wheel at 30-40mph