Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S Exhaust Tip cosmetics

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Steel wool and metal polish is great if you want a bright look. if you prefer the factory brushed steel look, see reply #12 above.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Some have taken them off and had them powder coated semi-gloss black.
I took my wheels and exhaust chrome tips to be powder coated. The shop that does the powder coating told me the exhaust tips need to be ceramic coated not powder coated. They said the powder coating would not last very long. Went next door and had both tips ceramic coated matt black for $40.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Harvey in FL; 01-20-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: edit
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
TriTom
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink BUT- sir, do you base this on your personal experience, or?

Originally Posted by mdrums
Get a Dremel Tool a lot of felts and metal polish and have at it. You can go from the dull factory brushed looked to a shiney brushed look or polish them all the way out.
I appreciate it - I am desirous of doing the same work as you describe, but...not going "too far" with the Tips. Thanks, TriTom, Alexandria, VA
Old 11-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remove tips twice a year and use a bench grinder with a polishing wheel and white rouge polishing compound. White is only mildly aggressive and is commonly used on SS for this purpose. Follow up with a buffing wheel and they look better than new. The process also helps reduce the effort needed to keep them clean in between polishing so they clean up with just car wash soap and the micro fiber wash mit I us to wash the car. Can't post a pic 'cause I'm between car washes and the tips need attention. ;(
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey in FL
I took my wheels and exhaust chrome tips to be powder coated. The shop that does the powder coating told me the exhaust tips need to be ceramic coated not powder coated. They said the powder coating would not last very long. Went next door and had both tips ceramic coated matt black for $40.
They came out great. What kind of shop does this type of work ?
Old 11-27-2012, 09:42 PM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

for just plain old good cleaning, go to wal-mart and get a can of never-dull. It is a tin full of cotton wadding soaked in a mild solvent. It cleans up the tips very well. It is super cheap too.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Harvey in FL
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dadio
They came out great. What kind of shop does this type of work ?
Talk with some hot rod people to have ceramic coating done to headers, etc. to find a name of a place near you. Also, google for metal coating shops in your area. Even a powder coating shop may know of a shop.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
BoomC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Had mine powder coated gloss black. Easy to clean and no problem with the exhaust temp. If you go this route, I would have them tape off about an inch of the inner matting surface so the powder coat does not interfere with the reinstall.

Quick Reply: Carrera S Exhaust Tip cosmetics