Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is so fast it slows time... kinda?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:53 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car is so fast it slows time... kinda?

So I love my 06 997 but I have a problem.

The clock is stupidly slow. I'm pretty sure it looses more than a minute a week. I understand that this is kinda trivial, but I'm **** like that and continually have to reset the clock.

Incase you're curious, I'm using my phone and watch, both of which should be spot on.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite my attempts to stop them, my dealer put in a new PCM. The clock still looses a few minutes a month. As this is the worst issue with my car, I'm quite happy. I just use my wrist watch. Besides, it's hard to look down at the clock at speed anyway. It's a small price to pay for all the fun this car provides. Sorry, I can't provide a solution.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive backwards for one day a week and the "lost minute" we no longer be as issue!

Seriously, sorry I can't help with this issue. I recall others posting about this problem a couple of years ago, but I don't think a solution ever surfaced.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:05 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911

The clock is stupidly slow. I'm pretty sure it looses more than a minute a week. I understand that this is kinda trivial, but I'm **** like that and continually have to reset the clock.

Incase you're curious, I'm using my phone and watch, both of which should be spot on.

Any thoughts?
If not driven daily, do you use a battery maintainer?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:36 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has been losing time since day one. I never wanted to have it replaced out of fear that it would just unleash a flurry of rattles in the dashbord. Twice a year when we change time I correct it. It's amazing that they can build a technological tour de force like the 911 and yet can't seem to figure out how to tell time with the reliability of a $10 Timex.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Default It's the Battery...

I replaced the battery in my '06 a couple of months ago and by the grace of our savior AlGore, it's been spot-on ever since!

Funny thing is I stopped looking at the clock as it was always off but just noticed it was keeping correct time yesterday...
Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

What I don't get is why the GPS in the PCM doesn't routinely update the clock to within fractions of a second.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Any thoughts?
Interesting. I hadn't paid much attention to mine so I just went out to check. It was correct to the minute, and I haven't touched it since resetting to PST at the end of October.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Mine seems spot on. But I've only had it for 4 months..
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Any thoughts?
One thing to try is when you set the clock's time to be sure you push the button sufficiently hard enough to cause the clock to leave the setting time mode. Failure to do this can have the clock stalled some time and result in the clock losing time.

At first I thought the clock was losing a minute, so I took to setting the clock a minute fast but noticed the clock was then a minute fast.

If you are sure you push the button and are sure you revert the clock from setting mode back to run mode, and the is off in a few minutes or an hour or so by some time, say a minute, a minute slow, try setting the clock a minute fast next time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

Porsche engineers did this on purpose, so the can sell the watches they advertise on Christophorus...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
What I don't get is why the GPS in the PCM doesn't routinely update the clock to within fractions of a second.
Actually, the GPS time standard IS used to update and maintain proper time in the embedded timepiece within the 997. But, obviously, only on the cars with the nav system as an option. (Silly as it may sound, that was another deciding factor for me to choose the integrated nav system for my car).
Old 01-16-2010, 04:11 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive the car daily and quite a bit actually (6000 KM in 3 months).

I've set it several times and it would appear to be a time keeping issue as it takes about a week to lose a minute.

It's a CPO car but it has a Car Quest battery in it. Maybe I'll see if ze german battery is better.

It's just a nuisance. Lol.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

I recall buying a clock radio from Walmart the sync-ed itself for around 20 bucks.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

I can enlighten you; after owning my 997.1 for a few months, this slow-clock issue was starting to irk me. I was correcting the time - always forwards by a few minutes - almost every week.

One fine day I just happened to be looking at the time at the same moment that I turned the key to start the car and......eureka! In front of my eyes, the clock jumped backwards by a minute. From then on, I made a point of watching it each time I started and I would say that every 5th or 6th time (I can't be exact) I saw the clock 'lose' a minute. So that's why the time seemed slow - it was turning backwards a few minutes each week of it's own accord. After a while I just got over it and got used to adjusting the time once a week.

I'm an idiot so I have no explanation as to the electrical 'why' but clearly, some small circuit in these cars is affected on start-up. My dealer doubted this explanation but admitted that slow clocks were an issue. I suggest you watch yours on start-up for a week and see what happens.

I have had my 997.2 just a few weeks and haven't remembered to watch the time but perhaps they've sorted this out.

Quick Reply: Car is so fast it slows time... kinda?