Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarreraS vs Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:07 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 235 Posts

Another consideration, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, was modifying the car.

See I plan to lower and upgrade my wheel/tire set so I knew going with the S would add another $8-10k plus after that I'd be spending another $6-8k on wheels and suspension (to get the right look and stance I want).

Buying an S would mean at least wasting money on wheels that I wouldn't normally need.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:16 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Another consideration, and I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, was modifying the car.

See I plan to lower and upgrade my wheel/tire set so I knew going with the S would add another $8-10k plus after that I'd be spending another $6-8k on wheels and suspension (to get the right look and stance I want).

Buying an S would mean at least wasting money on wheels that I wouldn't normally need.
As soon as you start taking car apart and upgrading her to racing standard parts - most of 'S' bundled benefits evaporate. Motons or PSS10 Bilsteins are much better than stock PASM, and with PASM you will be limited to Damptronics only with limited capability to lower car down.
Plus I see nothing in PASM. I do not know why people keep saying PASM, PASM like it`s a holy grail. Most of folks who race cars rip it off and put normal coilvers instead, to me it is just a waste of money.

But again, here you can get into other problem - as it may be kinda silly to try to build stock non-S car into GT3.

I got non-S car with 40K miles in perfect condition for $39K from private party. Nearest nice 'S' CPO car from a dealer was available for $52K. I do not regret a single bit the deal I got as I already invested all the money I saved back into car getting better final product than I cold have with stock 'S' car.

If I finally get GT3 brakes I want it will pretty much complete the package as it is only weak spot left right now, short of putting supercharger on. When I`ll finally get 450 or so horses on my C2 - I`ll be quite happy.

So look at basic stuff first when you search for a car - get one with navigation, so you would not need to install it later, ventilated/heated seats, full leather, etc - get good combination of convenience options you`ll be very happy with and then re-work suspension, exhaust, ECU, stage 2 clutch with LWFW, do forced induction if you`re bold enough to do it, in 2 words - have FUN.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
As soon as you start taking car apart and upgrading her to racing standard parts - most of 'S' bundled benefits evaporate. Motons or PSS10 Bilsteins are much better than stock PASM, and with PASM you will be limited to Damptronics only with limited capability to lower car down.
Plus I see nothing in PASM. I do not know why people keep saying PASM, PASM like it`s a holy grail. Most of folks who race cars rip it off and put normal coilvers instead, to me it is just a waste of money.

But again, here you can get into other problem - as it may be kinda silly to try to build stock non-S car into GT3.

I got non-S car with 40K miles in perfect condition for $39K from private party. Nearest nice 'S' CPO car from a dealer was available for $52K. I do not regret a single bit the deal I got as I already invested all the money I saved back into car getting better final product than I cold have with stock 'S' car.

If I finally get GT3 brakes I want it will pretty much complete the package as it is only weak spot left right now, short of putting supercharger on. When I`ll finally get 450 or so horses on my C2 - I`ll be quite happy.

So look at basic stuff first when you search for a car - get one with navigation, so you would not need to install it later, ventilated/heated seats, full leather, etc - get good combination of convenience options you`ll be very happy with and then re-work suspension, exhaust, ECU, stage 2 clutch with LWFW, do forced induction if you`re bold enough to do it, in 2 words - have FUN.
Exactly! This is why I myself bought a Carrera and not an S. S gives me more stuff that I didn't think I'd need.

OP- go with your heart!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Only three reasons not to get an S.
  1. Price is to high.
  2. Installed options on a base car very desirable. Maybe Paint to Sample, PCCB's or Aerokit.
  3. Intent to modify car by first removing "S" options, 19" wheels, PASM suspension etc.

Otherwise get an S.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steph280
I bought the S because I don't want to wonder what I am missing everytime I pass one.

Although I do wonder what I am missing whenever I pass a GT3, but good thing they are pretty rare on the street.
This is too funny, After I bought my non-S I wondered if I should have bought a S. The thing is the non-S is so much car you will probably never find its limits.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bought a non-S and wonder what I'm missing when a Ferrari passes me by.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
western32
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I this may be a question that all have heard before, but (ballpark figure) what do you expect to pay for;

2005 Carrera (non-S)
30k miles
heated seats
Nav
excellent condiiton
midnight blue
turbo wheels
Certified through 1st half of 2011

This was edmunds TMV
$41,135 - Certified Used Vehicle $44,141
Anyone see any differently?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Condor
Advanced

" A bought a non-S and wonder what I'm missing when a Ferrari passes me by. "

A small *****?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nugget
Pfft. The "4" cars are to satisfy the marketing department, not the engineers. Why do you want a Porsche with training wheels?
Oh my. Spoken like a true Texan. Dude, throw a little snow into the mix (something they occasionally have even in the OP's NC location) and maybe you might understand what the 4 cars are about. Remember, P-cars are made in Germany. Oh, and many of us think the 4 cars look better, too.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by western32
Ok, so I this may be a question that all have heard before, but (ballpark figure) what do you expect to pay for;

2005 Carrera (non-S)
30k miles
heated seats
Nav
excellent condiiton
midnight blue
turbo wheels

This was edmunds TMV

No 5 year car should be classified as excellent condition.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:18 PM
western32
Intermediate

Ok, I ran the TMV report with clean instead of outstanding. New True Market Value with CPO is 41k.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
No 5 year car should be classified as excellent condition.
There are 5+ year cars in excellent condition out there, the classification is just overused dwindling its value.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

2005 Carrera (non-S)
30k miles
heated seats
Nav
excellent condiiton
midnight blue
turbo wheels

This was edmunds TMV

I just paid $41k for my 06 Carrera (pictured here <<<). It has Xenons, heated seats, floor mats, upgraded leather and CPO and it has 29k miles.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
western32
Intermediate

Ok, so the dealer won't go below 47k for the car. My research (see earlier post) put me at 44k tops. Any thoughts? Sounds like I need to wait to find a different one. Really like the car and it has what I want but too many people on the boards paying low 40k's.Thoughts?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Ok, so the dealer won't go below 47k for the car. My research (see earlier post) put me at 44k tops. Any thoughts? Sounds like I need to wait to find a different one. Really like the car and it has what I want but too many people on the boards paying low 40k's.Thoughts?
Is this a CPO car? If so, that's worth $2-3K alone.

I was in the same shoes back this summer and passed on a couple of cars for $2-3K and then it took me another 2-3 months of search, going back and forth, etc... to find my ideal car. I regret passing those cars now, as I delayed the enjoyment of this amazing machine!

I'd say if the car has ALL what you want, and is within $2-3K of your ideal price, should probably do it. Maybe ask them to throw in a free oil change, some accessory, etc... For instance dealer easily give colored centre caps which is worth $300 or so, oil change is worth a few hundred too.

Also, I'd rather pay $2-3K extra for a trouble free car than a cheaper car with questionable history, which a lot of those low 40s cars are IMO.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: CarreraS vs Carrera