Sponsored by:

CarreraS vs Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Stay within your budget. Don't leave yourself short when in the future you're going to need tires and servicing. The straight Carrera is a terrific vehicle--more so over the 996.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:09 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differences are a obviously a bit more power, and I believe with PASM standard on the S, a lower and firmer suspension which can be further stiffened when activated. Have you driven an "S"? It might be worth doing so to compare and assist in your decision. BTW, I seem torecall seeing sales figures somewhere that roughly the same numbers of S and non-S are sold in NA. Is my memory correct?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 AM
Steven B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I moved from my '03 996 to my '08 997 (non-S) 2 mos ago, I had exactly the same question. I drove many examples of both before jumping in. The extra HP can be felt, but not a lot. Because I will not be tracking the car, the PASM and slightly larger brake calipers just won't make a difference to me (red caliper color is nice, however). The only things I miss from the "S" which my car does not have are the white guages and exhaust tips (I LIKE those on the S!).

I drove my present car with 99% of the options (and colors) I like and 4100 miles on the odometer; fair price/trade-in and love it!

From my point of view, anyway, if you fall in love with a certain car, S or non-S, buy and enjoy!!
Old 01-16-2010, 07:50 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I was in your shoes three months ago. I was looking for a 996 originally because of the great prices. Then I figured I'd take a look at the Cayman S's only to find that at 6'6" there wasn't a whole lot of room. I always knew I wanted a 997 but figured it was a L O T more than I wanted to spend.

By the time I worked out the numbers it was only a few hundred more a month for the 997 and by the time I took the depreciation hit and paid interest on the cayman or 996 only to sell it eventually and get the car I really wanted, it was a no-brainer.

As for the S vs non-S, I would have to say keep within your budget. Although, if I could do it again, I'd probably keep saving up for a larger downpayment and get the S (for the brakes and extra HP), I realize that buying the car is only the first hurdle. Buying tires every year will bring a grown man to tears with this car. I haven't even gotten to my first service yet!

Either way, enjoy the car and GL shopping! A CPO car is a REALLY REALLY good idea if you can swing it.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

The '05 prices have gone down so much, that you might find the price difference between the two to be very small. I have an non-S and love it. I would either get a bare-bones non-S; OR an S with the X-51 package, preferably driven my a grandmother on the weekends.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Dave R.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last spring I test drove an S and then purchased a lightly optioned non-S. CPO'ed, which is great for peace of mind.

I favored the simplicity of the passive suspension and figured it would be less expensive to maintain than the active suspension on the S in the long run. I also figured that the 18" rims would be more practical on a daily driver and tires are less expensive.

No regrets.

Well, just one - I love the look of the S. The way 19" rims fill the wheel wells on an S is aesthetic magic.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by western32
I am currently looking at an 05 997 (nonS). Appears to be a great car. Is the color I like (Midnight Blue/Nav/35,000 miles/Turbo Wheels/clean car fax/all service records/has factory warrantee remaining/getting PPI this week) I am just wondering if I should hold out for an S? Seems like most people has the S version. I originally was looking at 996's due to my budget, but after looking at several of them, I noticed the 997 has much more room and I fit in it so much better (I am 6'6"). Naturally, I am now at the top of my budget by looking at 997's. I am ok with this as long as I get a straight car. (Going with the thought of getting the best Porsche I can afford.) Anyone have any comments on choosing the nonS? FYI, I have never tracked a car and this would be my first porsche. I would like to do some driving school type stuff eventually.

Thanks for your replies! Looking forward to joining the "club."
COntrary to what people say here I would say this - think about what is it you want and expect from your car. Think of what do you intend to do. Are you going drive it on track? Are you going to race it or just drive on streets?
If on streets only - how often and to what degree?

Choice between S or non-S is not as essential as between 'S' and GT3 or turbo. Any of those cars are incredible but try to think through this what is it you intend to do with it. Is it for show or for hardcore fun? Are you going to work on car yourself? Do you want to sell it in nearby future?

'S' cars are much more popular, they have better resale value, they have RED calipers, so it is why people like it so much. non-S car is no worse, and if you going to apply a lot of labor you can make a great vehicle out of it but in stock form it looses to 'S' car in many aspects. And those mods you may/can do to take it to next level will cost altogether more than ones already installed in 'S'.

So, read a lot of forums and think of what is it you really want to achieve.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:31 PM
VC74
Advanced

I like them all they re great cars, but for some reason the 3.6,(non s) revs nicer to my taste! and the car in 2wd feels much more alive. cant wait to track it this spring in mont tremblant! An s is only better is you like the upgrades its giving you, s mags, pasm, 3.8l,lower etc. I got myself a new 09 guards red carrera2, 2 months ago, the only option it has is black leather sport seats and crest. I love it, and the base mags look great on it in too.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

If you get 19" wheels, PASM, and PSE, you essentially have an "S."
If you must have the red calipers, you can paint them or buy
the big reds.

I think it boils down to what you find available on the market for sale.

I would much rather have a nicely loaded C2 with low miles and
pristine condition than a rough "S."

The difference in price between a C2 and an "S" is not very significant.
If you're looking at $50k-$70k used Carrera's--what's another
$4,000 to $5,000 for an "S"? I would focus on buying one in
perfect condition with the right options.

If I were buying a new one, I would most likely go for the GT3.
The significant performance difference is between the Carrera's
and the GT3---not the C2 and the "S."
Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
The difference in price between a C2 and an "S" is not very significant.
I think the common wisdom is if you have the money to spend and you have fun spending it, that's what the S is for. We've all frittered money away on "essential must have" options when spec-ing a new car. Buying an S allows you to easily spend more money. What more could you ask for? "Ease" and "fun" go well with spending. Ask your wife if you're not sure.

Last edited by LlBr; 01-17-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

I just bought my first Porsche and drove a 2005 997 along side a 40th and my 996. The $12k more and to me at this point, the 996 was the right choice. Afterall I tend to buy a car every 2 years. The next one will likely be a GT3 or Turbo, but it's too eary to tell. The 996 is a great and relatively cheap 911 for us 1st timers. But if you have the $, then go for a 997.2 without the potential, yet rare IMS issue.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM
western32
Intermediate

What is the cut-off for 997.1 - 997.2?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by western32
What is the cut-off for 997.1 - 997.2?
I believe model year 2009 is the start of 997.2. 997 experts could correct me if that's incorrect.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
I believe model year 2009 is the start of 997.2. 997 experts could correct me if that's incorrect.
That ^ is correct.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:13 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

andybody's that been to porsche sport driving school knows how much fun you can have in a base Carrera. It's a great car.

the S is basically a bundle. you can spec most of the stuff to get from a base model to what's standard on the S.

the most important features IIRC are the suspension, extra HP and brakes. it's silly to assume people buy the S because the brakes are red. porsche does sell about 25% more S models than base Carreras.

PSE (porsche sport exhaust) is not standard on the Carrera S

to pay for the S gets you basically 10-20mm lower supsension. PASM, 19" wheels, marginally better brakes.

for me, the carrera S made sense, but hey, that's just me.

Quick Reply: CarreraS vs Carrera