Sponsored by:

Gauges Sqeak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:23 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gauges Sqeak?

I've all of a sudden got this annoying rattle coming from the gauge console. Has anyone figured out how to get rid of this.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:57 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,893 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Grab the top of the gauges and give it a push / pull. You may have to do it a couple of times. Both my 997's have done this.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:26 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same irritating rattle from time to time. Worse when
its cold of course.

I am planning on taking into into Porsche, however, I am concerned
they will end up parting out the entire dash.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 295 Posts

There's a TSB for gauge cluster rubbing noises. Involves applying some felt tape to some of the surfaces. Definitely dealer installed. Ask your dealer about the TSB.

Good luck.

YoungTurk
Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a children/school art store and buy a sheet of felt. Cut a few small squares - 3cm x 3cm say - and using a credit-card or blunt blade, slip them between the cluster housing and the dash top.

Worked for me.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
There's a TSB for gauge cluster rubbing noises. Involves applying some felt tape to some of the surfaces. Definitely dealer installed. Ask your dealer about the TSB.

Good luck.

YoungTurk
Young Turk,

Thanks for the TSB heads up.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rattle, rattle, rattle. my porsche drives like it's made by gods, but rattles like it's assembled in some **** poor factory in Canton. It literally rattles everywhere (dash, window, sunroof, etc) now that it's freezing out and i've gone over one too many NYC pot holes. They should ban beer during lunch in Stuttgart... I swear to God, my car was assembled right after one of those bierfest lunch. Even my Honda Civic, which is older and gets abused, has no discernable squeaks and rattles and feels much better put together than my 911. When it comes to this, it's definitely a love-hate thing w/ pcars.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:48 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
rattle, rattle, rattle. my porsche drives like it's made by gods, but rattles like it's assembled in some **** poor factory in Canton. It literally rattles everywhere (dash, window, sunroof, etc) now that it's freezing out and i've gone over one too many NYC pot holes. They should ban beer during lunch in Stuttgart... I swear to God, my car was assembled right after one of those bierfest lunch. Even my Honda Civic, which is older and gets abused, has no discernable squeaks and rattles and feels much better put together than my 911. When it comes to this, it's definitely a love-hate thing w/ pcars.
So, are you saying a Honda Civic is a better car than a Porsche 911?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's so funny. I had the sunroof rattle on Sunday as I was taking the family to the wild animal park. I opened and closed the roof and it went away.

Then today I had the dashboard rattle all day until I pushed down on one little spot and it went away. Here's what I did, although I doubt any two rattles are alike: right above where the steering wheel meets the dashboard, I pushed on the plastic frame of the dash and the rattle went away. I could see how the felt idea would work as well since for me it seemed that it's related to the dash hitting the steering wheel column, which I suspect is where they put the felt.

Last week I also had a very loud passenger seat vibration. The whole seetback itself vibrates. Surprisingly, after my wife sat in it for an hour on Sunday it went away. So if you get the seat rattle issue, let me know and I'll send my wife over.

But in general I was reminded of a post I read once from soneone here who said how much he enjoys the Porsche experiences, including all the rattles. I think of it the same way. The car is just a very unique animal and that's part of the package.

-T
Old 01-12-2010, 06:12 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by go-C4S-injune
Such a shame that these beautiful cars sometimes have such maddeningly poor build quality.

YoungTurk
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
TooSixy
Racer

Originally Posted by tpenta
That's so funny. I had the sunroof rattle on Sunday as I was taking the family to the wild animal park. I opened and closed the roof and it went away.

Then today I had the dashboard rattle all day until I pushed down on one little spot and it went away. Here's what I did, although I doubt any two rattles are alike: right above where the steering wheel meets the dashboard, I pushed on the plastic frame of the dash and the rattle went away. I could see how the felt idea would work as well since for me it seemed that it's related to the dash hitting the steering wheel column, which I suspect is where they put the felt.

Last week I also had a very loud passenger seat vibration. The whole seetback itself vibrates. Surprisingly, after my wife sat in it for an hour on Sunday it went away. So if you get the seat rattle issue, let me know and I'll send my wife over.

But in general I was reminded of a post I read once from soneone here who said how much he enjoys the Porsche experiences, including all the rattles. I think of it the same way. The car is just a very unique animal and that's part of the package.

-T
I don't know what MY is your car, but according to the TSB, the instrument pod has to be removed and felt tape be attached to the 2 metal clips on the back of the pod. I can get the TSB for you if you need it. It's for 997.1.

I had a rattle on the PDK shift trim and it went away with a little felt tape fix. My gf said don't fix the rattles and treat them like a passenger trying to have a conversation with you
Old 01-12-2010, 11:19 AM
slowmo
Track Day

Hi TooSixy,

can you post the TSB. I have a 2008 C2s which is noisy on rough surfaces.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010, 12:01 PM
TooSixy
Racer

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E4JIFDTE

If you need help removing the instrument panel, see these threads:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...r-removal.html
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=21715
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks, guys! I thought I was the only one!!! Now, can someone tell me how to turn off the 'service in 3 days and the little wrench"? I am planning on doing the 1st oil change at 7500 miles(only 5200 on the clock) and my service indicator was probably set for a 1 year timeframe since it was built in 12/08.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM
dahcopilot
Intermediate

thanks to your post, my cluster has developed a small rattle....thanks

Quick Reply: Gauges Sqeak?