rpalomo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another thing i noticed- when the tires loose more thread the smell lessens
Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for being a dick and not following up my own thread. I'm about 5K beyond original purchase miles and the smell has lessened markedly. I think it was the stuff that the dealer used to make the engine look pretty from the detail shop. Now I just get that old familiar Porsche smell after driving (I've had 6 911's and they all had this odor, just not the distinct rubber burn smell I originally complained about). All is right with the world (except my CEL...)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 128 Posts

Cosmoline.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
kristyhana
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad I found this thread. I have a 996 but since I got it a month ago, I have noticed this faint burning rubber smell when I get out of the car. It seems to come from the wheels area so I first thought it was because they had brand new tires, but I wasn't sure. I had an extensive PPI and an alignment from an indy shop and neither of them said anything about the smell, so I thought it could just be a normal Porsche thing (this is my first). Glad to hear that I'm not the only one, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
sullivas
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would immediately suspect the single serpentine belt. To check take a feel with your finger on the come along rollers that you can easily access near the oil filler pipe. If you feel that the come alongs are not flat and smooth across the entire width of the pulley, I would suspect that the tensioner is too tight. They are not adjustable. You may experience premature serpentine belt failure on the road. Carry a spare belt, a standard screwdriver, and a 24mm combination wrench. With just those 2 tools you can install a new belt easily enough. Without it, you are subject to the whim of 1800 PORSCHE. In the second photo the YELLOW marked pulleys are come-alongs. They seem to exhibit wear beneath the belt track, and not along the edges (as the pulleys are wider than the width of the belt). That suggests to me that the belt is too tight. It is quite routine now for Porsche to replace not just the belt, but the idler pulleys as well in a belt service.
Dan I checked a roller and it already has defined edges cut into it, the car (C2) only has 10k miles on it. Bad place for Porsche to cheap out.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:07 AM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
Is this your first Porsche? The rear engine stinks up most garages for the lives of the cars. Hopefully yours is just normal smell that you're not used to. Fingers crossed.
2006 C2S.

Huh. Finally built a garage this summer so the car wouldn't have to stay outside. At first I would keep the garage windows opened because it got very warm but now that it's getting colder outside, I keep them closed most of the time.

Since then, there's that odd smell. It doesn't smell like gas, coolant or oil. More rubber-like? It's no longer noticeable within a minute or two and like I said, it goes away if the windows are opened. It doesn't get worse with time, it always smells the same.

Seems to be coming from the rear of the engine and there doesn't seem to be any leaks.

Could this just be the "normal smell" you're referring to?

Last edited by LucV; 10-02-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:40 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 107 Posts

That's the 997 smell. Some say it's cosomoline undercoating, or some other source, but they all smell like that after being shut down. Not to worry.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:36 AM
alfetta
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine does too and it could be any combination of things, maybe coming from the converter. Nothing to worry about.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:05 PM
scott740
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I found this old thread as my car has that burnt rubber smell as well. It's faint enough not to be scary and never really changes so I started thinking EGR/Purge valves, etc but the car is running perfectly fine. As it may be bits of rubber and tar coming off the tires/road and onto the mufflers...maybe I should just remove the mufflers!
Old 05-08-2023, 03:23 AM
rosemont83
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scott740
Glad I found this old thread as my car has that burnt rubber smell as well. It's faint enough not to be scary and never really changes so I started thinking EGR/Purge valves, etc but the car is running perfectly fine. As it may be bits of rubber and tar coming off the tires/road and onto the mufflers...maybe I should just remove the mufflers!
I thought I had an issue too but it's just the smell of this engine.. some weird warm machine smelling scent. I love that smell now and sometimes sniff the engine slats.....
The following users liked this post:
Rig.Stunts (05-08-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 11:47 AM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rosemont83
I thought I had an issue too but it's just the smell of this engine.. some weird warm machine smelling scent. I love that smell now and sometimes sniff the engine slats.....
We just noticed this too, since taking possession of the car last week. From what we've read on this thread, we assume there's nothing to be concerned about. My wife dropped the car off at the shop this morning for our required state inspection, and mentioned it to the manager. He told her they'd check everything out, but kind of grinned and said it's usually nothing, just part of the experience. She feels better telling them, and having it checked out just to be sure. If everything is as it should be, it will be a welcomed odor, and worry only if it's absent after future drives.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:40 PM
Kodos9865
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Happens every time I take my 997.2 S out for a run (~42k miles). I was alarmed the first time I smelled it, but one of my Porsche buddies just laughed and said “that’s the Porsche smell!”

It’s just normal to me now. I like the theory that it’s just rubber deposits on the exhaust.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:46 PM
G&S997.2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, apparently we just learned about our first Porsche nuance. Just got the call from our shop that the car is in great shape, and the smell is normal. Good to know.
The following users liked this post:
Kodos9865 (07-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Burning rubber smell!?!?