Sponsored by:

broken clutch push rod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:28 PM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken clutch push rod?

Hello guys, got a question and hopefully can get some advice.
car has 52Kmiles and is a 2005, so no warranty.
I was driving yesterday when I pushed the clutch in heard a "snap", thought something may have fallen under the pedal then when I pushed in again the clutch pedal stayed fully depressed, had to pull over. can pull the pedal back and noticed the push rod had snapped.
looking further today I noticed that the reason it snapped is cause the alignment is off, then I noticed the aluminum mounting bracket was cracked at the bottom which must have caused the malalignment.

2 years ago I had an oil leak, when I took it in they found a leak at the crankshaft seal.
on my invoice it says
"during replacement of flywheel seal found shifter fork was broken, cause: slave cylinder rod cracked and wore release fork at contact area. replaced the clutch slave cylinder"
I'm hoping this has something to do with the problem I currently have so they may give me a break with the repair?

I hope this all makes sense the way I described, has this happened to anyone else, anyone got good ideas on how to get this fixed out of warranty?
thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I haven't heard of this issue on Rennlist before. it sounds related to me. Perhaps the actuating rod was incorrectly positioned and thus led to a premature failure. A reasonable dealer would look at that earlier documented repair and consider it as a factor.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
A reasonable dealer would look at that earlier documented repair and consider it as a factor.
Yup. If they do play hardball with the e$timate tell 'em you'll go to their competitor and "tattle-tale." Hopefully it won't come to that though. FWIW, Seems like you might be able to fix it yourself. IMO, buying a new Porsche from the dealer gives you the lifetime right to check their shop manual for the DIY repair specs and procedures. Mine faxes them to me probably because my requests have been so infrequent Bring your digital camera with macro if you have to!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM
raffi
Pro

Originally Posted by LlBr
Yup. If the do play hardball with the e$timate tell 'em you'll go to their competitor and "tattle-tale." Hopefully it won't come to that though. Seems like you might be able to fix it yourself. IMO, buying a new Porsche from the dealer gives you the lifetime right to check their shop manual for the DIY repair specs and procedure. Mine faxes them to me, albeit mine are very infrequent requests. Bring your digital camera with macro if you have to!
yeah hopefully they cover it, or else i would obviously take it to an independent shop if i cant diy.
but i do agree this is my 4th porsche but the only one I bought new from the dealer and they have been very helpful, much more than when I took my previous cars.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by raffi
yeah hopefully they cover it, or else i would obviously take it to an independent shop if i cant diy.
but i do agree this is my 4th porsche but the only one I bought new from the dealer and they have been very helpful, much more than when I took my previous cars.
Maybe tell 'em you won't be in a hurry for it if they seem willing to give you a break. IOW, no PITA from you, just lots of gratitude, positive thinking and patience even though they probably are to blame. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:35 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO they will cover it.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
raffi
Pro

Originally Posted by 996toomey
IMO they will cover it.

thanks for the support guys

do you think they should cover it since it seems to be related to the prior fix that was repaired under warranty?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by raffi
thanks for the support guys

do you think they should cover it since it seems to be related to the prior fix that was repaired under warranty?
This is somewhat related: RMS leaks repaired under warranty will be re-fixed if they fail after the warranty runs out. "Proves" there's some wiggle room. Porsche and their dealers know that for a few bucks extra profit on these non-clear-cut ambiguous issues they risk alienating a valuable possible repeat customer: you.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
raffi
Pro

ok so here is another stellar experience at bev hills porsche
i give up, probably will be my last porsche since service is so ridiculous and once out of warranty nothing makes sense in terms of cost to fix anything.
I call monday,
me: "think I got the same problem with my clutch as before, was fixed under warranty, now warranty expired (car has 52Kmiles and is 4/05) do you think u guys can get it covered? or else I wanna just go to an indie shop"
BH: "unlikely it will be covered but unless you bring it in we will never know"
so at least I wanna give it a shot so get the car towed there.
next day
BH: "yeah we got your car, its very dirty must have been sitting for a long time...."
me: "no its just dirty" (ive wrapped my car in satin white vinyl so when dirty it looks filthy unlike silver, but i dont understand why this makes any difference)
BH: "ok so u have to authorize us to open transmission to find out what is wrong ($1400) then we can see if porsche will cover it"
me: "so 1400 just to find out whats wrong? u think theres a chance porsche will cover it?"
BH: " yeah 1400, no dont think porsche will cover it its out of warranty and although might be exact same issue as before, porsche only gives a 2year warranty on parts U buy, not on parts that were replaced by porsche during period of warranty. plus you have alot of mods on this car and they take everything into account."
me: " ok it makes sense, i just thought id give it a try, thanks for all your help, tow truck will be right back"
so im not exactly sure why they even asked me to tow the car in since i think they could have told me all of this before.
the mods I have are
1, afterhours mufflers.
2, bodykit, bumper wing sideskirts.
3, vinyl wrap. the only mod that is new since the last time they repaired the same problem with clutch is the vinyl wrap.

even when the car was under warranty and they repaired stuff, it was never an easy experience, yeah i got a porsche loaner 2x, but geez they treated me like they are doing a favor. Never once did I hear yeah this should be covered under warranty, and everytime i must have just been satisfied because hearing "porsche covered it" was a pleasant surprise, since I was always told at first that "this doesnt look like a warranty issue"
I paid 90K for the car, never felt like I ever had warranty. although I did get much better treatment for buying the car from BH porsche, I still would rather buy out of state or even a used car next time and just make the drive out to downtown or pacific for warranty or an independent mechanic...
Old 01-13-2010, 03:26 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Awwwwwwww shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Nice try. Next stop: local independent shop. Tell them you're on the P-car internet forums; reporting on "BH." Can't hurt.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:18 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I am not surprised they took this position. It sucks because it certainly sounds related to the work they did, but enough time has passed that it is predictable that they would not step up. BH Porsche's service is weak, from what I have heard, but I'd expectly similar treatment at DTLA, where I've had my car serviced. There's a number of good indies in the area, fortunately.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 PM
raffi
Pro

yeah there are a number of great shops in LA. fortunately the shop i took it to already told me they could fix the problem for about 600 bucks, not bad considering porsche was gonna charge me 1400 just to tell me what was wrong.
now if i need to change the clutch or other transmission parts, i understand it will be much more $$ but the car does have over 50K miles.
I dunno how these porsche dealership service depts survive, either gullible customers or by scaring the customers into thinking that if you get the work done elsewhere porsche will void warranty.
last warranty issue that I had them take care of I was lucky enough to get a ride back home and they made me feel like i was such an inconvenience since I couldnt arrange my own transportation... i can see it in the service advisors eyes that they even feel bad, and there is nothing they can do, but i guess i just need to move onto another brand.
in my opinion, for me there was really no reason to get a new porsche, or even one with warranty for that matter. i enjoyed my 3 previous pcars which were purchased out of warranty just as much if not more.

Quick Reply: broken clutch push rod?