Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 3.8 IPD Plenum Install & Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the beauty of being single, if the gf doesn't like how loud it is..... you just get a new one (gf not mufflers)
Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
I only belive in dynos for a baseline, not a true reading.

In a perfect world I would have done a baseline on a dyno with my car 1 and then after the mods are done.

Then you get a base and then the second dyno run on the same dyno you get another number.

Compare the two and see what your mods did.

I would not trust the number just the difference in numbers.

BUT, then you have all the other factors/variables to address.

Dynos have too many loose ends... and I dont like loose ends.

I dont care about having a HP number to go with my car. I do my research and I DECIDE whether or not I feel the mods is worth it for my car and track performance and reliability.

Sorry guys I'll get off my dumb soap box.

Basically these mods are for me no one else. I just trying to give the most OBJECTIVE review I can because thats what i would want from the next person.

Hope that helps.
For the record, your review is SUBJECTIVE. An OBJECTIVE review would be based on actual measurements of some sort that could be analyzed.

Since dynos seem difficult to use for measuring the small power differences (if any) from various mods such as the plenum, I'd like to see blind tests done on similarly equipped cars, one with IPD plenum and one without. Then let a driver drive each car back to back, and see if he can identify which car has been modified. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be revealing.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM
mobonic
Drifting

You are right... I meant subjective. Thanks for the English lesson
Old 09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
997GiTi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can a 3.6 plenum fits a 3.8 engine?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Yes.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:14 PM
JackQ
Advanced

I am skeptical that any power will be added by a Plenum change, Porsche would have already built it that way. Even Headers and CATS make a small increase in 15- 20 maybe, no one’s butt is accurate enough to really feel the difference. I tested my car with a Gtech before and after Awe CATS and no measurable change was detected. All of the “magic” change to get easy HP that have been independently tested have shown no increase in HP and sometimes less.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I only belive in dynos for a baseline, not a true reading.

In a perfect world I would have done a baseline on a dyno with my car 1 and then after the mods are done.

Then you get a base and then the second dyno run on the same dyno you get another number.

Compare the two and see what your mods did.

I would not trust the number just the difference in numbers.

BUT, then you have all the other factors/variables to address.

Dynos have too many loose ends... and I dont like loose ends.

I dont care about having a HP number to go with my car. I do my research and I DECIDE whether or not I feel the mods is worth it for my car and track performance and reliability.

Sorry guys I'll get off my dumb soap box.

Basically these mods are for me no one else. I just trying to give the most OBJECTIVE review I can because thats what i would want from the next person.

Hope that helps.
You just contradicted yourself, no one is saying Dyno is gonna give you an accurate HP number, but from options available to compare before/after effects of a mod, is THE BEST tool.

You could have easily done a base HP, records all number (temp, humidity, engine oil/water temps), install the mod, ensure ECU adopts to it after driving it for a while... then do another dyno on the same machine, trying to mimic the same environmental conditions (temp, humidity, engine oil temp, etc...).

All else is just all subjective assessment of mod efficacy!

This is THE ONLY way small shops and tuners can tune their cars without expensive labs, and resources only available to car manufacturers!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Alex,

It was a contradiction, I agree.

But if you know the background to the plenum debates, there have been 5-10 individual dyno's (before and after) with plenums and exhaust (shops and individuals) and every time a huge debate arises. (Im sure a search will bring up 10+ threads just on this 1 forum).

We did a before an after at the track with laps times, but did not publish because again, too many variables (Tire degradation, track temp, track conditions.....) so what was meant to be an OBJECTIVE review became SUBJECTIVE after we decided that too many variables could come into play, just like the dyno debate.

So I decided to just give my thoughts on the plenum to other members and they can use my subjective info to make a decision.

I believe in the dynamics and science behind the plenum, and thats why i bought it, no other reason.

When "I" buy a mod for my car I ask myself and my mechanics one question.

"Will it make my car better or more reliable for track use". If the answer is yes or maybe and I believe the science behind it. Then I'm willing to give it a shot.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:37 AM
mobonic
Drifting

for what its worth, a year later i still have the IPD plenum on my car.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:22 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Alex,
We did a before an after at the track with laps times, but did not publish because again, too many variables (Tire degradation, track temp, track conditions.....) so what was meant to be an OBJECTIVE review became SUBJECTIVE after we decided that too many variables could come into play, just like the dyno debate.

So I decided to just give my thoughts on the plenum to other members and they can use my subjective info to make a decision.

I believe in the dynamics and science behind the plenum, and thats why i bought it, no other reason..
Fair enough, but your observations are lot more subjective than a proper dyno run before and after. Neither completely objective but the goal is to take as many variables as you can out of the equation...

When "I" buy a mod for my car I ask myself and my mechanics one question.

"Will it make my car better or more reliable for track use". If the answer is yes or maybe and I believe the science behind it. Then I'm willing to give it a shot.
Well, I'd say 90% of them answer "Yes"! as his answer to your question is the MOST SUBJECTIVE answer you can get!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Bjarke Hjort
2nd Gear

Default throttle body

Hi :-)
What throttle body do you have on your car? 82mm or 74mm

Kind regards
Bjarke Hjort
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default As expected

I appreciate this review but it only reinforces that status quo on IPD Plenum; it' just not worth the grand. Period.

$200, maybe
Old 12-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive
I appreciate this review but it only reinforces that status quo on IPD Plenum; it' just not worth the grand. Period.

$200, maybe
Sweet tap dancing resurrection of a thread...

For whatever it's worth - I swapped the IPD plenum on my otherwise stock M96 motor and found my acceleration times increased marginally. I did a write up with numbers on it using GPS and a lap timer for acceleration sprints. Others have dyno'd it before/after and lost horsepower. But then again it seems nearly every day race team with a 911 has run or runs it to their success.

For used money it's a fun mod and blings the engine bay a little more. Brand new it's too expensive for my coffers. I am curious to see what/how it may change with a tune... whenever Softronic goes on sale!
Old 12-16-2017, 01:14 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Appraiser
Others have dyno'd it before/after and lost horsepower.
Interesting. First I've heard of this. Do you have a link to a dyno where the plenum sucked away HP?
Old 12-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Appraiser
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Interesting. First I've heard of this. Do you have a link to a dyno where the plenum sucked away HP?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ss-plenum.html

You can skip ahead to post #71
The following users liked this post:
vokain (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: 997 3.8 IPD Plenum Install & Review