Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997 3.8 IPD Plenum Install & Review (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/543703-997-3-8-ipd-plenum-install-and-review.html)

mobonic 01-06-2010 09:31 PM

997 3.8 IPD Plenum Install & Review

9 Attachment(s)
IPD 3.8 Plenum

Make: IPD
Model: 997 3.8
Purchased from: RSS Stuttgart
Installed by: Self Installed

Attachment 1234916

First Drive Impressions:

After installing this mod, its recommended to take a 5-20 mile drive so that the BOSCH ecu can relearn and remap the increases in air.

We could immediately feel that the car was relearning and adjusting to a difference.

After this drive there was a small notice in acceleration from 3500+ rpms. But no turbo like power increases.

Track Impressions:

We took the car to Willow Spring raceway for a testing day. After 20+ laps we observed the following with 2 drivers.

Observations:

1. The power difference is very hard to tell by the seat of the pants. We did not feel like there was a huge difference in before and after...but both felt like th car was a bit peppier all around.

2. What we did notice was that the car was pulling/accelerating harder in the higher rpms (3800 to redline) This is very good especially for track driving and we were happy about this.

3. Acceleration pulls were done on the front straight, and before and after plenum times were very similar, if anything the after plenum times were 1-2 tenths of a second faster after 4 runs from 2-4th gear topping out at 120 mph.

EVOMSIT ECU TUNE:

Since our race exhaust was installed we were getting a CEL light. So we contacted Evolution Motorsports to have the ECU coded.

At the time EVOMS stated that they could retune our ECU to take advantage of the intake and exhaust mods on the car:

Race Headers
Cat Bypass
1.5 lb Mufflers
Plenum

Once we got the ECU back and installed, the car was taken for a long drive.

After 20 miles of freeway driving the car was taken on back canyon roads. This is were the mods came to life.

The lost low end torque from the catless exhaust was back, and now the car pulled harder from 2500-4000 rpms.

Afte 4,000 rpms the car pulled ridiculously harder to redline, and we had to keep an eye on the tach not to keep hitting the rev limiter

Conclusion:

I think this mod alone is not a wonder fix, but its more of a sum of its parts.

With the hiflow exhaust, plenum and ecu retune by EVOMS, that where the true power from these mods is showcases and the performance speaks for itself. We are certain the car has more power through the rev band, and its more fun to drive.

Overall we are very happy with the IPD plenum install and will be keeping it in the car and installing it on another car soon.

Notes:

We did not decide to do a dyno before and after as we do not believe in them.

The car is driven on the road and the track and that is where we care about performance, not on a piece of paper.

Detailed Images and Installation pics

Attachment 1234915

IPD Plenum vs. Stock 997S Plenum

Here you can the the quality difference between the stock T shaped and the IPD Y shape.

Attachment 1234916

Attachment 1234917

Attachment 1234918

Attachment 1234919

IPD Plenum Installed

Attachment 1234920

Attachment 1234921

Attachment 1234922

Attachment 1234923

Edgy01 01-07-2010 12:40 AM

I like that. "We didn't do a dyno because we don't believe in them." Says it all.

mobonic 01-07-2010 01:14 AM

I have never dyno'd my nor will i ever.

Do you drive your car on a dyno?

+ ... porsche's need a lot of cooling through the radiators... which dyno fans can not reproduce....

I have heard of many porsche's getting hurt on dyno's because of this problem.

mdrums 01-07-2010 01:50 AM

Basically the conclusion and what I have said for years on these forums is everything works as a system. As soon as you change the breaking of the engine you have to tune the cars ECU to take advantage of this.

brendo 01-07-2010 02:54 AM

honestly i believe you probably created an incremental gain in performance but i don't get the aversion to quantifying it. seems very very silly to me. you don't believe in numbers? data? that it will hurt the car? that it's not relevant? what?:

We did not decide to do a dyno before and after as we do not believe in them.

The car is driven on the road and the track and that is where we care about performance, not on a piece of paper.

RollingArt 01-07-2010 10:40 AM

Nice write up.

What headers are you using?

Phil

utkinpol 01-07-2010 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mdrums (Post 7202001)
Basically the conclusion and what I have said for years on these forums is everything works as a system. As soon as you change the breaking of the engine you have to tune the cars ECU to take advantage of this.

I installed plenum after I did all the rest - 200 cell cats, mufflers, K&N air filter, maf cleaning, ecu flash. I would not say car started to pull noticeably harder on hi revs after plenum add-on
as it is just difficult to notice but it definitely improved engine stability when i drive it on very low speed like 3-5 mph, then means it really does breath a bit better with plenum, as it should.

I think it is an OK add-on to do if you have extra cash you don`t know what to do with. :)

utkinpol 01-07-2010 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mobonic (Post 7201356)
Race Headers
Cat Bypass
1.5 lb Mufflers

Running on straight racing pipes on a public roads - aren`t you afraid to meet a cop somewhere? :) That will be a heck of a ticket.
I do not care much to obey any stupid regulation they impose, but sound of a cup car on an open road cannot go unnoticed.

Edgy01 01-07-2010 02:23 PM

That part could be put on a flow bench to ascertain its contributing to the breathing of the engine. That would be worth knowing.

mobonic 01-08-2010 03:25 AM

I only belive in dynos for a baseline, not a true reading.

In a perfect world I would have done a baseline on a dyno with my car 1 and then after the mods are done.

Then you get a base and then the second dyno run on the same dyno you get another number.

Compare the two and see what your mods did.

I would not trust the number just the difference in numbers.

BUT, then you have all the other factors/variables to address.

Dynos have too many loose ends... and I dont like loose ends.

I dont care about having a HP number to go with my car. I do my research and I DECIDE whether or not I feel the mods is worth it for my car and track performance and reliability.

Sorry guys I'll get off my dumb soap box.

Basically these mods are for me no one else. I just trying to give the most OBJECTIVE review I can because thats what i would want from the next person.

Hope that helps.

JohnnyBahamas 01-08-2010 03:54 AM

It's very shiny.

RollingArt 01-08-2010 10:45 AM

Headers?

mobonic 01-08-2010 04:17 PM

Headers are custom made by Synergy Racing

mobonic 01-08-2010 04:18 PM

They are not straight pipes

They have dual 1.5 lb mufflers

not as loud as muffler bypass

utkinpol 01-08-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by mobonic (Post 7206520)
They are not straight pipes

They have dual 1.5 lb mufflers

not as loud as muffler bypass

Too bad you are too far away - I could show this car to my wife and tell her - look, _this_ car is not considered as 'too loud'. :D

She forces me to put stock mufflers back, as she cannot tolerate fabspeed maxflos with x-pipe cats. Life is full of compromises...