Sponsored by:

Oil overfill or bad sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
gracep9
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil overfill or bad sensor?

Ok so I just purchased a 05 911 and I love it, I just wish I had done a bit of research before I took it to the local shop for an oil change. There isn't a porsche dealer in the entire state of Arkansas so that was out of the question. Here's my issue...

After the oil change I noticed smoke and I don't remember any from before the change. Once it's going and warmed up the smoke stops. I hear that it could be caused by oil overfill so I checked the level via dash gauge and it was pegged out so I took it back to have them drain oil. They took off the oil filter 2 times with a start in between and said they drained about a quart. When checking the oil gauge there is no change in the level. So I'm wondering if maybe they still need to drain more oil or something could be wrong with the sensor?

The car is in showroom condition so I wouldn't think there would be a sensor failure.

I am very worried about this issue (I've even had bad dreams about it) I just need help from someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM
yasuro
Pro

i don't own a 997, but is there a dip stick?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by gracep9
Ok so I just purchased a 05 911 and I love it, I just wish I had done a bit of research before I took it to the local shop for an oil change. There isn't a porsche dealer in the entire state of Arkansas so that was out of the question. Here's my issue...

After the oil change I noticed smoke and I don't remember any from before the change. Once it's going and warmed up the smoke stops. I hear that it could be caused by oil overfill so I checked the level via dash gauge and it was pegged out so I took it back to have them drain oil. They took off the oil filter 2 times with a start in between and said they drained about a quart. When checking the oil gauge there is no change in the level. So I'm wondering if maybe they still need to drain more oil or something could be wrong with the sensor?

The car is in showroom condition so I wouldn't think there would be a sensor failure.

I am very worried about this issue (I've even had bad dreams about it) I just need help from someone that knows what they are doing.
At this point I'd have the oil drained from the engine -- no need to drain the oil from the filter housing -- and then have the tech refill the engine and have two people count the number of quarts added.

Stop at say a 1/2 to 1 quart short of what the owners manual says the capacity is and then start engine let it idle and take an oil reading. If the reading is in agreement with the amount of oil added to the engine then add more oil to bring the level up to near the max line. It should take no more then 1/2 to 1 quart (max) to arrive at max level.

If the reading is *not* in agreement then there is an oil level sensor problem.

I would not drain the oil out in increments just in case the sensor is faulty and always reads "full".

The only way I know -- without access to special equipment -- is to drain the oil then add a known amount and check against the sensor/display.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Invest $30 into rhino ramps and $25 into oil pan and do your own oil changes.
As was adviced - add up 7 quarts of oil back after you drain it all out and measure oil level. If it still shows you all bars - your sensor is to be blamed.

Engine oil filling capacities: Engine oil 997 − 3.6 l Filling capacity without oil filter 8.00 litre; Engine oil
997 − 3.6 l Filling capacity with oil filter 8.25 litre; Engine oil 997 S − 3.8 l Filling capacity without oil
filter 8.25 litre; Engine oil 997 S − 3.8 l Filling capacity with oil filter 8.50 litre

Above data is from workshop manual. As you get oil in quarts - 1 quart is 0.9463 liter so you are safe measuring it 1:1.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
gracep9
AutoX

Default it's the oil sensor

looks like its the oil sensor. I followed the advice and after 5 qts it still showed full bars. So we went ahead and put the other 3qts in and called it a day. I still am wondering about the white smoke, but as I've read in other posts that seems to be normal especially during lower temps. I did notice a little water in the tail pipe, so maybe I'm just worrying about some water vapor burning off at startup?

I will change out the oil sensor in about a month or so since I'm sure they got the right amount of oil in this time. (I stool there and watched) I'm waiting on the oil sensor since this oil change fiasco has cost me about $200 so far.

Any ideas on how difficult it is for the oil lever sensor to be changed out?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

looks like its the oil sensor. I followed the advice and after 5 qts it still showed full bars. So we went ahead and put the other 3qts in and called it a day. I still am wondering about the white smoke, but as I've read in other posts that seems to be normal especially during lower temps. I did notice a little water in the tail pipe, so maybe I'm just worrying about some water vapor burning off at startup?

I will change out the oil sensor in about a month or so since I'm sure they got the right amount of oil in this time. (I stool there and watched) I'm waiting on the oil sensor since this oil change fiasco has cost me about $200 so far.

How do you know it is the oil sensor? It takes multiple readings to be sure.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
gracep9
AutoX

I tried multiple readings and with different levels of oil. The gauge never changed from showing full bars. Does anyone know if an 05 997 have a hidden dipstick somewhere?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

997 cars do NOT have a dipstick.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

. Does anyone know if an 05 997 have a hidden dipstick somewhere?
None, nada, nothing. Amazing, isn't it!?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I tried multiple readings and with different levels of oil. The gauge never changed from showing full bars. Does anyone know if an 05 997 have a hidden dipstick somewhere?
That's the first post I've ever read about a defective oil level sender.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
LlBr
Drifting

A while ago mine went dead for a few days and then came back on-line never to fail since. IOW, There may be more going on than just the sensor, there's the software too. I've had a number separate incidents of glitches in these cars which "self-corrected."
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
A while ago mine went dead for a few days and then came back on-line never to fail since. IOW, There may be more going on than just the sensor, there's the software too. I've had a number separate incidents of glitches in these cars which "self-corrected."
I was going to say maybe disconnect the battery but that may just trigger a CEL.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I was going to say maybe disconnect the battery but that may just trigger a CEL.
Good idea. No kidding. Probably can't hurt. Owners manual explains the simple procedure: follow it. There should be no fears when replacing a battery (or in this case disconnecting and reconnecting). Might fix things. After a disconnect the PSM might indicate a "malfunction" but can be reset (check manual).
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 PM
gracep9
AutoX

hmmm... Maybe there's a way to reset it without pulling power at the batt?
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

hmmm... Maybe there's a way to reset it without pulling power at the batt?
Their is not one Porsche dealership in the state! Bad enough the Clintons made their name there!
How far are you from civilization / Porsche dealership? Might be worth the trip!

Quick Reply: Oil overfill or bad sensor?