Porsche Dealer (Service) Southern CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default On the flip side...

Originally Posted by steph280
I am one of those guy who would drive a long way for good service and prices. My closest dealer is Newport Import, but I've heard nothing good about them. So I made the drive out to Walters at Riverside for my first oil change. The SA's name is Justin Usary, very professional and courteous. Work done right and on time, not to mention one of the cheapest price in LA/OC county.

Hint: mention you are a PCA/OCR member for some "added values!"
I've bought or leased a number of Audis and 2 911's from Walter's. A recent service experience with Justin went like this, when I had the car in for an oil change.

"BTW, I hear there's new software for the PDK. Can you check that out for me?" "OK, I did. There isn't one." "I'm sure there is, lots of people on the internet are talking about it." "No, I checked, there's nothing." "Well, OK."

Just about one week later, my car throws a CEL and the PDK starts acting funny. I take it back in for service. "OK, we fixed it. There's new software for it."

I might add that because of my job and evening traffic in Riverside, it is a HUGE hassle for me to get my car in for service, even though they're the closest Porsche dealer to me.

I wrote a pissed-off letter to the service dept manager who, in the tradition of service departments everywhere, said "Tough." His explanation, as best I could decipher it, was that they were only authorized to install the new software after the PDK malfunctioned, not as a prophylactic. Still, I was mad as hell.

This is a dealership from whom I've bought or leased, since 2005, an Audi S4 Avant, an Audi RS4, an '08 911C2 and my '09 911C2S. And I'm contemplating a Panamera to replace my Audi.

NOTE from June 2011: Please see my update post about 10 posts further down in this thread. Walter's has more than atoned for for pissing me off!

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant

Last edited by DMoore; 06-30-2011 at 09:24 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler358
Walter's seems like quite a trek for me, just for an oil change. So I'm still interested in hearing about Pacific Porsche or Circle Porsche if anyone has any experience with them.
The GM at Pacific Porsche is a long time Porsche racer and all around good guy. Many POC members use Pacific and speak well about them....
Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 997driver
waltersporsche.com/service-specials, print the coupon out on that address and bring it for the cheapest dealership oil change you will ever see.
Wow...dealer oil change for only $90???!!! Wish I had that deal down here. The local dealers are asking $240, and even my indy is charging $125.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The GM at Pacific Porsche is a long time Porsche racer and all around good guy. Many POC members use Pacific and speak well about them....
Thank you, sir.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 996toomey
For dealer service I like Mike Barcelona (service writer) and Master tech Ken at Rusnak Pasadena.

These two have treated me extremely well for more than 15 years.

I joined the SDR region of PCA http://www.pcasdr.org/ for the driving events when I joined because they were the most active but OCR is great also.
+1 for those guys as well.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 997driver
For dealership service I can't say enough good things about the guys over at Walter's Porsche in Riverside. [...] Talk to Justin or Emory.
Last year, I made a note of this post and when our car needed an intermediate service today, I drove to Walters. It is farther than Auto Gallery for us, but Auto Gallery requires we drive two of the busiest freeways in the world to get there. For Walters, I did have to use Google Maps instead of the PCM Nav to work out a realistic route, but the actual driving was a pleasure. Over half was nicely paved desert roads and the remainder was a run down the Fwy 15/215/91 route from Adelanto to Riverside. That avoids the heavy traffic regions of the LA basin. 115 miles each way, but pleasant miles.

Justin and Emory were the ones who handled the car and I agree completely with the favorable comments. Emory and I did a visual inspection while the car was on the lift. When I first take a car somewhere, I like to do that to assess the mechanic as well as the car. Since I'm an engineer, they can't easily blow smoke about what we're examining. On the other hand, a guy who's about to work on my car better darn sure know more specific information about it than I do. Lots more.

Emory is knowledgable. Very satisfactory.

Gary
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Last year, I made a note of this post and when our car needed an intermediate service today, I drove to Walters. It is farther than Auto Gallery for us, but Auto Gallery requires we drive two of the busiest freeways in the world to get there. For Walters, I did have to use Google Maps instead of the PCM Nav to work out a realistic route, but the actual driving was a pleasure. Over half was nicely paved desert roads and the remainder was a run down the Fwy 15/215/91 route from Adelanto to Riverside. That avoids the heavy traffic regions of the LA basin. 115 miles each way, but pleasant miles.

Justin and Emory were the ones who handled the car and I agree completely with the favorable comments. Emory and I did a visual inspection while the car was on the lift. When I first take a car somewhere, I like to do that to assess the mechanic as well as the car. Since I'm an engineer, they can't easily blow smoke about what we're examining. On the other hand, a guy who's about to work on my car better darn sure know more specific information about it than I do. Lots more.

Emory is knowledgable. Very satisfactory.

Gary
I am glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience with them. I enjoy taking it to Emory because he knows a lot about our cars and actually enjoys engaging in conversation about them and our concerns.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Walter's Porsche of Riverside. Very close to your area. They gave me a big discount on the PSE exhaust and run a very nice operation. Always email me service discounts they have.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Justin @ Walter's is great.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:11 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

So far I'm pretty happy with Circle Porsche in Long Beach.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fairness demands an update in this thread. Earlier, in January of 2010, I wrote a rather angry message about service at Walter's. It's about 10 posts "up" in this thread.

Since then, I've bought two additional cars at Walter's, a Panamera 4S in May of 2010 and my GTS in February of this year. I've had all my service on these cars done at Walter's despite my previous complaint. I'm sort of a captive, as the next closest dealer is about 45 to 50 miles from home (either Rancho Mirage or Newport Beach).

I've had zero problems since my earlier post. Zero. Nada. They take good care of my cars and give me FREE tech inspections when I'm taking the GTS to the track or AX which these days is every couple of weeks. Subsequent to my previous post, when that C2S (an '09, launch car for PDS) developed a leak in the PDS, they replaced the transmission entirely and had the car back to me in three days in time for another DE event. Recently their service dept. acquired a number of Cayennes to use as loaners and they give me a loaner even when the car is only in the shop for a FREE PCA tech inspection!

OK, they're not perfect. I still think they goofed on the PDS update, reported in my previous post. But they have made it right with continuing outstanding service in the year and a half since.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 P4S

Quick Reply: Porsche Dealer (Service) Southern CA