Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare Key (Valet Key) photo?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

One unique feature about that key is that it won't unlock your glovebox. So when you valet your car, you're supposed to be able to protect any valuables inside the glovebox, lock it with your regular key, and then the valet can't get in there.

It is also said you should never give a valet your car keys with your house key attached. The urban legend is that the valet gets your address from your registration, then drives your car to your house and steals your stuff. All while you're at dinner. All preventable by that little plastic key! Can't say I've ever heard of that in real life, but in theory....
Old 12-24-2009, 02:25 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

so where do we buy? suncoast?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:37 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
One unique feature about that key is that it won't unlock your glovebox. .
Sorry to report that's not true.

Porsche calls it a "spare key" which means what it says. Strictly speaking there's no valet key for our cars.

FWIW, BMW calls the similarly stripped down plastic key a "valet key."

It only works the BMW ignition and door locks. Will not allow trunk nor glove compartment access.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
so where do we buy? suncoast?
AFAIK, it's a dealer only item. May take a while (weeks?!) to have it approved and made.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2 main keys now have the top part made out of metal, and they generate an awful rattling noise when you put them on any regular metal ring key chain!
What happened to that german engineering??
I struggled to find myself an all leather key chain......
Any other solutions??
Old 12-27-2009, 12:37 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bola964
The 2 main keys now have the top part made out of metal, and they generate an awful rattling noise when you put them on any regular metal ring key chain!
What happened to that german engineering??
I struggled to find myself an all leather key chain......
Any other solutions??
These keys are too big to put on a key chain with other keys. There are however key chains with leather or soft loop rings. These are available from Porsche Design Driver's Selection. You can buy it online from Porsche, Suncoast or Sunset.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JW911
One unique feature about that key is that it won't unlock your glovebox. So when you valet your car, you're supposed to be able to protect any valuables inside the glovebox, lock it with your regular key, and then the valet can't get in there.

It is also said you should never give a valet your car keys with your house key attached. The urban legend is that the valet gets your address from your registration, then drives your car to your house and steals your stuff. All while you're at dinner. All preventable by that little plastic key! Can't say I've ever heard of that in real life, but in theory....

Also, I've heard your not suppose to store your home address under "home".

--Why I made sure the pre-owned 911 I bought DID NOT have NAV- "they" are watching.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:16 AM
jplanaux
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sole purpose of this key is: for running. The key is small and can be laced in your shoestrings - or - fits in the key pouch inside running shorts. This way the sweat does not get in your "expensive" keys. But then again, most of you probably already knew that.

You do know Porsche people are runners, didn't you?
Old 12-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Porsche people are "players." Not runners.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

These huge keys are simply ridiculous.
My wife's Mini has a flying saucer shaped key which just stays in your pocket. You walk up to the car, touch the door handle button, and the car unlocks. You get in the car and hit the Start button and away you go! When you stop, you hit the button again, get out of the car, and touch the door handle button again to lock it. The only reason to ever put the 'key' in the ignition is to charge it.
I understand Porsche will be offering these touchless keys on all future models.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Coochas
These huge keys are simply ridiculous.
My wife's Mini has a flying saucer shaped key which just stays in your pocket. You walk up to the car, touch the door handle button, and the car unlocks. You get in the car and hit the Start button and away you go! When you stop, you hit the button again, get out of the car, and touch the door handle button again to lock it. The only reason to ever put the 'key' in the ignition is to charge it.
I understand Porsche will be offering these touchless keys on all future models.
Yeah, but it's additional complexity and added mass (every ounce adds up).
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM
texas911
Race Car

I just wish Porsche would add a separate button for lock and unlock. How hard could that be?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Yeah, but it's additional complexity and added mass (every ounce adds up).
You're kidding I assume.
I don't know about your 997 but mine's not that far from 2 tons. Not offering things like a wireless entry/start is simply ridiculous in a luxury sports car. This is not the place to be looking for ounces.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Coochas
You're kidding I assume.
I don't know about your 997 but mine's not that far from 2 tons. Not offering things like a wireless entry/start is simply ridiculous in a luxury sports car. This is not the place to be looking for ounces.
It is a slippery slope and that is why these cars are so heavy. My S weighs far less than 2 tons (4400lb) - about 3200lb (the way I've configured it - No Bose, no motorized seats, no Nav).
Old 12-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

2 tons is 4000 pounds. 1.6 tons is still pretty heavy!
There is so much weight in these cars Tony and skimping on something like a key is ridiculous for Porsche. How about more aluminum panels? That would save about 500 pounds! My point is that Porsche needs to shed pounds not ounces. The key should join the rest of the motorized 21st century and be touchless.

Quick Reply: Spare Key (Valet Key) photo?