Sponsored by:

Ethanol-free gas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Gotta wonder if it is not the ethanol that is getting it to 100 Octane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
It could very well be, since it is an octane booster, of course with a 20% (or more) MPG penalty. So much for energy conservation.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Gotta wonder if it is not the ethanol that is getting it to 100 Octane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
If you knew about VP Fuels I don't think you'd be making that statement. I'm sure they are not just mixing in a ton of ethanol to jack the octane rating up to 100 and then scalping it at $6.00 per gal. I would guess that it's close to being an E10 fuel. They are known for producing quality race fuels for serious racers. The spec sheet of their C10 (no eth. 100 oct. unleaded race fuel) is very simular to the VP100 (with ethanol unleaded 100 oct). They are both high energy content fuels capable of making more horsepower than prem. pump gas.

I started using their fuel about 10 years ago in a Honda RS250 gp bike I had acquired for my road racing efforts. For those not familiar with 250gp bikes, they are a high performance, light weight (220 lbs.), 85hp 250cc v - twin 2-stroke powered, factory built, road racer. That's a 250cc engine making 85hp. Do the math and that adds up to 340hp per liter !!! (very high maintenance, new pistons every 200 miles was the scheduled replacement per the manual. Rebuild crank and rods at 1200 miles!) Anyway, in that motor I ran leaded VP fuel with an octane rating of like 116. Never had any fuel related problems, and a motor like that DEMANDS quality fuel. That motor would seize in about one minute of track duty on pump gas.

What I'm getting at is that I think VP fuel is a quality product, and that it may be at least a partial answer to the OP's original question. Yes, ethanol free gas is available in CA. Is all pump gas blended 10% with ethanol? Yes, as required for all CA pump gas per CARB.

Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It was more a question than a statement - in fact, I don't know a thing about it, but thanks for your clarification.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
I heard Ethanol is bad for direct pistion injection cars... I put "no ethanol" gas in my wife's SLK280.
How do you know? I didn't think that gas stations were required to tell you any longer that the gas contains ethanol, at least in most states.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually the Spec Sheet on vpracing.com isn't very clear as to the ethanol content:
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index.h...&lnum=16761344

Under "composition/information on ingredients":
- Complex Hydrocarbons = 70% - 100%
- Ethanol = 10% - 30%
... and yes I realize that the max usage of the Hydrocarbons + minimum of Ethanol equals 110%.... I'm not making it up; it's quoted from their web-site. So in all reality the Hydrocarbons should read = 70% - 90%.... just a guess.

The specs for C10 however are 100% Hydrocarbons (not street legal). So getting back to the original post, mixing C10 with fuels with 15% ethanol minimum could dilute the ethanol concentration enough... the legality would probably vary based on each state initially, I'm guessing.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
actually the Spec Sheet on vpracing.com isn't very clear as to the ethanol content:
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/index.h...&lnum=16761344

Under "composition/information on ingredients":
- Complex Hydrocarbons = 70% - 100%
- Ethanol = 10% - 30%
... and yes I realize that the max usage of the Hydrocarbons + minimum of Ethanol equals 110%.... I'm not making it up; it's quoted from their web-site. So in all reality the Hydrocarbons should read = 70% - 90%.... just a guess.

The specs for C10 however are 100% Hydrocarbons (not street legal). So getting back to the original post, mixing C10 with fuels with 15% ethanol minimum could dilute the ethanol concentration enough... the legality would probably vary based on each state initially, I'm guessing.
What page did you find this info on? I see each fuel listed, with a link button to a spec sheet, but that spec sheet doesn't contain the info you've listed. Would like to find this . Can you help? I never found "composition/information on ingredients"

Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 11:32 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The stuff is corrosive and hygroscopic and can cause havoc with injectors with water and crap created by alcohol reactions deposited at the bottom of the tank. 15% is unacceptable.
I agree ethanol is hydroscopic I don't agree that it's corrosive. I could be wrong but . . .

If it's the water that mixes with the ethanol that contributes to corrosion then I can agree with you. However, ethanol is not acidic or basic it is pH neutral and will not corrode metal. It will attack some polymers particularly nylon IIRC but the components in the fuel system are designed to be compatible with this constituent.

So, please enlighten me, how is ethanol corrosive?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by ADias
It could very well be, since it is an octane booster, of course with a 20% (or more) MPG penalty. So much for energy conservation.
IIRC ethanol has an octane rating of 105.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by RollingArt
If you knew about VP Fuels I don't think you'd be making that statement. I'm sure they are not just mixing in a ton of ethanol to jack the octane rating up to 100 and then scalping it at $6.00 per gal. I would guess that it's close to being an E10 fuel. They are known for producing quality race fuels for serious racers. The spec sheet of their C10 (no eth. 100 oct. unleaded race fuel) is very simular to the VP100 (with ethanol unleaded 100 oct). They are both high energy content fuels capable of making more horsepower than prem. pump gas.

I started using their fuel about 10 years ago in a Honda RS250 gp bike I had acquired for my road racing efforts. For those not familiar with 250gp bikes, they are a high performance, light weight (220 lbs.), 85hp 250cc v - twin 2-stroke powered, factory built, road racer. That's a 250cc engine making 85hp. Do the math and that adds up to 340hp per liter !!! (very high maintenance, new pistons every 200 miles was the scheduled replacement per the manual. Rebuild crank and rods at 1200 miles!) Anyway, in that motor I ran leaded VP fuel with an octane rating of like 116. Never had any fuel related problems, and a motor like that DEMANDS quality fuel. That motor would seize in about one minute of track duty on pump gas.

What I'm getting at is that I think VP fuel is a quality product, and that it may be at least a partial answer to the OP's original question. Yes, ethanol free gas is available in CA. Is all pump gas blended 10% with ethanol? Yes, as required for all CA pump gas per CARB.

Phil
Octane ratings do not make horsepower. Octane ratings are a measure of a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition i.e. detonation of knock. The engine is a mechanical device that will only make as much HP as it is designed to do. A higher octane fuel allows an engine designer to use higher compression ratios which may result in detonation on lower octane fuels.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Originally Posted by CarGuy21
Octane ratings do not make horsepower. Octane ratings are a measure of a fuel's resistance to pre-ignition i.e. detonation of knock. The engine is a mechanical device that will only make as much HP as it is designed to do. A higher octane fuel allows an engine designer to use higher compression ratios which may result in detonation on lower octane fuels.
What you've stated is correct, however,

different fuels contain different amounts of stored energy. This is what makes a fuel produce more HP than the next.

VP fuels are high energy content fuels.

Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil / RollingArt:

I had copied the link location, but didn't try clicking to see if it'll actually take you there. Regardless:
- Go to http://www.vpracingfuels.com/
- Fuels - Automotive - Road Racing will bring up their fuel products
- scroll down to VP100 (aka StreetBlaze 100)
- click on MSDS
That should get you the Material Safety Data Sheet as an Adobe format
- Scroll to page 2 and read: "3 . Composition/information on ingredients
United States"

That should do it... of course you can always contact them to get more details. I was mostly curious about the whole thing and don't use it myself. Hope this helps!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe we should all relax. Assuming all cars will suffer the same damage from 15%E, (because Porsche buys it's "rubber" and other engine systems components from suppliers that the other car manufacturers do) there'll be an uproar from the automotive lobbies to repeal this 15%E law. Why? Because dealerships across the nation will be plagued with repairs and complaints from consumers. Auto lobbies get together with Consumer and Green lobbies and it's over. Just a guess.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Edward 96 Viper GTS
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bump. Any new info on where to get ethanol free gas?
Ed
Old 06-01-2012, 01:10 AM
silverblade
Track Day

Thumbs up

Might want to look for a product called star tron. We use it in the power sports and marine business to off set The negative effects of Ethanol.

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward 96 Viper GTS
Bump. Any new info on where to get ethanol free gas?
Ed
Try this website: http://pure-gas.org/

Quick Reply: Ethanol-free gas?