Sponsored by:

09 997 vs CPO 07 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Okay here's the 09 997 PDK car. Don't have a post for the 07 997 yet. Also found another one at a similar dealership too for same options. Thoughts?

http://www.porscheofarlington.com/de...tOrderBy=5%2C0

http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...a-4777464.html

Here's another on in the area I may take a look at!
http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...4-4977895.html

Any ideas or thoughts?
of these three..the red for sure...great options...get price down to 78K

Followed by the white...
Old 12-23-2009, 12:15 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

There are a number of cars like the White one still on dealer lots. These are Launch cars in Carrara White with Stone Gray interior with PDK and NO Sport Chrono. They (the dealers) are having a hard time moving them.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:54 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 820 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
of these three..the red for sure...great options...get price down to 78K

Followed by the white...
Red is at $72k it seems. Like the color a bit more than Guards red. My 1st 996 was the same kind of color/burgundy.

Originally Posted by gota911
There are a number of cars like the White one still on dealer lots. These are Launch cars in Carrara White with Stone Gray interior with PDK and NO Sport Chrono. They (the dealers) are having a hard time moving them.
That's what I was told as well; its a demo PDK car and thus lightly optioned, never titled but without NAV and sports chrono. Can SC be added after the fact along with like PSE too? That would be a package I'd like to have. I agree that $79k still is abit much for it. What is a good price off MSRP 10%, 15%? I've read some posts of guys getting even 20% on 2009 997's left over.

Originally Posted by RonCT
SC doesn't make the car feel more responsive, it just tricks the brain temporarily as outlined in my post. Your brain can easily press the foot 1mm more to get the same response out of the throttle. Try this experiment - go 1 month without using sport, re-train your foot and brain, and then go 1 month with only sport. Car is just as fast, responsive, etc. Final words on SC - let the poor old dead horse lie.

As to the cars - boy, that Ruby Red sure does look beautiful. DFI engine, Gen 2 suspension, PDK w/ SC (which with PDK cars does make a difference), and Nav. Those are some nice options if PDK is what you are looking for. Same with the white car - beautiful.

Bottom line is you have to buy what you want and like. We can't really advise you especially in this context. I think for you to really try to figure out what options / generation you really want, you have to spend some time in the "archives" reading up on what people like or don't like about PDK, about the suspensions, etc. Might get more "balanced" responses by looking back.

I can understand the feeling though, it's not every day you are going to buy a Porsche and you don't want to mess it up by not getting a critical option. I think the bottom line is that whatever combo you get, it's going to be a fantastic car. Also, there's no right answer. If you got a Carrera with manual shift, no SC and no PASM, it would still be a fantastic car that you won't regret. 3 cars later, here's what I ordered: 2009 C2S, Aqua Blue on Black, manual, Sport PASM / LSD, sport heated seats, fire extinguisher, nav, bluetooth, universal audio, carpet mats, and Black Dials (no cost switch from the stock silver). Many would say I blew it by not getting key options like Bose, PDK, Sport Chrono, Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats, etc. And why would I get the "black dials" from the Carrera in an S?!? It's what I wanted and I don't regret any of it one bit.

One of the cars will speak to you. You first have to get by the biggest questions of do you want to shift for yourself or do you want Gen 1 PDK (meaning before the true paddles which are now options)? There have been some reports of PDK issues - right here at RL. If you are on the fence between manual and PDK, maybe that's the tie breaker. Next is suspension. If after driving various cars you are convinced that you really must have Gen 2 PASM or even Sport PASM, then that's going to help you narrow things down. Navigation is unfortunately a key item in the 2009+ because you cannot add it later unlike in Gen 1 where it's a module you can add and have programmed at the dealership.
wish that they could add NAV that way but undestand it, I guess even if it seems shortsighted to me by Porsche. Part of me gets even more conflicted reading all these posts and reviews which say that my 2009 Boxster is such a balanced car and makes all the 10 best lists that I wonder IF I should keep it and give it a second chance! LOL However at heart I still look at the 997's wistfully wishing I was back in it. Ah...decisions...decisions.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't believe that Sport Chrono can be added, but even if it could be added, it would be too cost prohibitive to do so.

PSE CAN be added without much difficulty.

The Ruby Red car would be a better choice, IMO.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait a second, you have a 2009 Boxster (S?)?!? That is a fantastic car and I know of another forumite that had one and traded it in for a C2 and regretted it. Both are great cars - I guess I should know as I have a 2005 Boxster S and a 2009 C2S. The Boxster really is perhaps the best all around car Porsche has made, maybe ever. I really enjoy my 911 perhaps because it's a car I've wanted since I was a kid and I enjoy it so much on the track. But I also really enjoy my Boxster S, which is the "do everything" Porsche.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:31 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonCT
Wait a second, you have a 2009 Boxster (S?)?!? That is a fantastic car and I know of another forumite that had one and traded it in for a C2 and regretted it. Both are great cars - I guess I should know as I have a 2005 Boxster S and a 2009 C2S. The Boxster really is perhaps the best all around car Porsche has made, maybe ever. I really enjoy my 911 perhaps because it's a car I've wanted since I was a kid and I enjoy it so much on the track. But I also really enjoy my Boxster S, which is the "do everything" Porsche.
Hey Ron
Merry Xmas to you and all the rennlist folks out there. Yes a point of clarification or explanation; I traded my wife's E320 bluetec for a 2009 Boxster (non S) back in Aug so that is my current P-car. She took my 2009 Cayenne S in trade or shall I say "stole" it prompting my trade as the E320 while a nice car just did not have the sporting character of the Cayenne S or anything I usually drive. So I got a 2009 Boxster 6sp, PASM, Xenon, LSD, 19" Carrera classic sport tires, Xenon, and sport seats and sport steering as my dealer talked me into trying something new for a change and I have never had a convertible. My previous car was an 05 997 (non S) which I sold in March (thinking I would downsize and be okay without it as my wife thought and convienced me) but really loved. So I have kept my eye open for the opportunity to re-enter the 997 fold if a good deal came available on one as while the Boxster is a great car it just doesn't do for me what the 997 did and every time I see a 997 I feel a loss like I can't describe and am reminded of the car I should NOT have sold. My daily driver is an 08 M3 and I really love that car and it does it all and the Boxster I guess makes a nice bookend but not as good of one as my 05 997 did when I had them both around. Here's a pic of my Boxster at fabspeed getting the OEM exhaust put on for you guys!

Thus my dilema as the more I read and hear from you guys the more the Boxster seems like the rational car to keep and enjoy! But who said car buying is rational?

Last edited by mdrobc1213; 12-22-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are driving a Boxter and wishing you had your 911, you know what you have to do.

Your $$$, so get what you want
Old 12-25-2009, 07:39 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread has been very helpful; I'm going through the same question. I think based on the above I'd go with the 09 911.2. Now if I could only find a low-option (read low cost) convertible with 6 speed!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:50 AM
FriedEgg
Instructor

I'd keep the 09' Boxster S. It's a better performer compared to an 09' Carrera.

if you must get back into a 911, I'd go for a well optioned 997.1 over a stripped out 997.2 any day. I have personally driven both back to back recently and felt that the 997.2 has lost an edge or that little bit of rawness and interaction that seems to be just right on the 997.1. It's not something that you could measure in numbers, but it is certainly noticeable.

Personally, I would then save the $ with a 997.1 (get it with a stick for interaction), trade in the M3 + the savings, and get a GT-R that could run circles around a 997.2S PDK. The 2 (997.1 manual + GT-R) would make a great bookend in a performance car garage.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:27 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FriedEgg
I'd keep the 09' Boxster S. It's a better performer compared to an 09' Carrera.
thats just not true...my 987s does not even outperform my base 977.1
Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Interesting thoughts. Hmm...well we'll se what works out. I am looking at a low mileage 997S with PSE and sport seats, steering now. I think it may have the X51 package as well which if so may make it a definate possibility!
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black 997.2 are faster than black 997.1 - just read it on another tread - must be true -the guy had 1,000+ posts!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:17 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Red car seem to be gone/sold. Figured it would go soon as it's such a good deal according to you guys (I think so as well).

Quick Reply: 09 997 vs CPO 07 997 S