Sponsored by:

09 997 vs CPO 07 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

The PCM 2.1 cars (pre-09) could get a retrofit kit if the cars had no nav system installed. However, Porsche did some major league changes to the PCM (so they say) in 09 and the nav system is no longer DVD based (for its data). The road information is in firmware, and the dealer (at present) is the only place to get an update when the road data changes. The PCM 3 nav system can't be added, so the experts at the dealership have said.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:04 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The PCM 2.1 cars (pre-09) could get a retrofit kit if the cars had no nav system installed. However, Porsche did some major league changes to the PCM (so they say) in 09 and the nav system is no longer DVD based (for its data). The road information is in firmware, and the dealer (at present) is the only place to get an update when the road data changes. The PCM 3 nav system can't be added, so the experts at the dealership have said.
Not even one changed the Headunit? Maybe not available yet, but I doubt that it won't be possible later... we'll see I guess!
Old 12-22-2009, 03:12 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 841 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
Thats a ridiculous statement. No way big time.

We are taking about a stripper PDK car and when you start searching some posts on PDK cars you start realizing that most PDK buyers would not have a PDK car without the sports chrono option and thats what you have here.

Getting the PDK especially without the S/C is a mistake. And if you want to be challanged why consider a PDK at all. You will be bored quickly.

BTW.....the 79K asking price is way out of line for the launch 997.2 Closer to 71-72K. If you really do want to consdier it.
Uhh.. Completely disagree about PDK being boring.. I love my PDK and its far from boring. Maybe he'll be bored as its not a double de clutch and it doesnt have a crank starter. Sheesh.

Having said that - yours is a tough choice. I'd lean towards the 07. I'd rather have a well optioned S than a stripper 09 C without SC/PDK.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Adias is correct, a base 997.2 PDK trumps a 997.1 S. The new engine and suspension are that good.

Me, I'd keep looking and find a 997.2 with PASM or better yet Sport PASM. Having owned a 2007 C2S, 2007 GT3, and now a 2009 C2S w/ SPASM, I feel the "best" (for me maybe) combo is:

Manual shift (love shifting for myself), Sport PASM w/ LSD (or at least Gen 2 997.2 PASM), and the DFI engine, whether in the base car or S.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:34 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The suspension (especially the front) was redesigned.

Yes, And I have heard some, not all, owners and test drivers say there is too little road feel for them with the 09's.

So not necessarily a good thing for all.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:36 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodsky
Uhh.. Completely disagree about PDK being boring.. I love my PDK and its far from boring. Maybe he'll be bored as its not a double de clutch and it doesnt have a crank starter. Sheesh.

Having said that - yours is a tough choice. I'd lean towards the 07. I'd rather have a well optioned S than a stripper 09 C without SC/PDK.
I didn't say PDK is boring. I said based on the OP's posting I felt he would be bored.

Please lets not go down this road again.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I put 10k on my 07 and have 7k on my 09. Not "tens of thousands of miles", but enough to know the suspension. I can't see how anyone could say the 09 suspension has less road feel. Then again, think of all of the combinations. 997.1 had 2 suspensions and 2 or 3 OEM tires. 997.2 has 3 suspensions and 2 or 3 OEM tires. Factor in an unlimited number of possible alignment settings and it would be almost impossible to say one has more or less road feel over the other. Too many variables. I had PS2s in 19" on my 2007 and have PS2s in 19" on this 2009. Granted I have Sport PASM now vs. PASM on my 07, but there's clearly more road feel in the 09. I remember reading Excellence and a few other magazines, maybe Automobile, where they talked about how much better the 09 suspensions were...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
I put 10k on my 07 and have 7k on my 09. Not "tens of thousands of miles", but enough to know the suspension. I can't see how anyone could say the 09 suspension has less road feel. Then again, think of all of the combinations. 997.1 had 2 suspensions and 2 or 3 OEM tires. 997.2 has 3 suspensions and 2 or 3 OEM tires. Factor in an unlimited number of possible alignment settings and it would be almost impossible to say one has more or less road feel over the other. Too many variables. I had PS2s in 19" on my 2007 and have PS2s in 19" on this 2009. Granted I have Sport PASM now vs. PASM on my 07, but there's clearly more road feel in the 09. I remember reading Excellence and a few other magazines, maybe Automobile, where they talked about how much better the 09 suspensions were...
excellent points....the OP can determine for himself what he thinks about the road feel in each car.

Let me ask you...do you have S/C in your 09?

And if yes would you ever consider a PDK car w/o it now that you have it?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Don't have SC nor would I get it in a car. Also wouldn't get PDK as long as I'm able to clutch for myself. If something happened and I had to go PDK, then I suppose I'd get the SC then for the performance change. But in a stick car, SC does nothing.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonCT
But in a stick car, SC does nothing.
I agree....
Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

SC may not functionally do anything in a manual but it changes the user interface. Different user interfaces provide different interaction feelings. SC Sport makes the car feel more responsive with a light foot...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
SC may not functionally do anything in a manual but it changes the user interface. Different user interfaces provide different interaction feelings. SC Sport makes the car feel more responsive with a light foot...
Yes, but at the "expense" of the useless (to me) wart on the dash.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:47 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 439 Posts

Okay here's the 09 997 PDK car. Don't have a post for the 07 997 yet. Also found another one at a similar dealership too for same options. Thoughts?

http://www.porscheofarlington.com/de...tOrderBy=5%2C0

http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...a-4777464.html

Here's another on in the area I may take a look at!
http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...4-4977895.html

Any ideas or thoughts?
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

SC doesn't make the car feel more responsive, it just tricks the brain temporarily as outlined in my post. Your brain can easily press the foot 1mm more to get the same response out of the throttle. Try this experiment - go 1 month without using sport, re-train your foot and brain, and then go 1 month with only sport. Car is just as fast, responsive, etc. Final words on SC - let the poor old dead horse lie.

As to the cars - boy, that Ruby Red sure does look beautiful. DFI engine, Gen 2 suspension, PDK w/ SC (which with PDK cars does make a difference), and Nav. Those are some nice options if PDK is what you are looking for. Same with the white car - beautiful.

Bottom line is you have to buy what you want and like. We can't really advise you especially in this context. I think for you to really try to figure out what options / generation you really want, you have to spend some time in the "archives" reading up on what people like or don't like about PDK, about the suspensions, etc. Might get more "balanced" responses by looking back.

I can understand the feeling though, it's not every day you are going to buy a Porsche and you don't want to mess it up by not getting a critical option. I think the bottom line is that whatever combo you get, it's going to be a fantastic car. Also, there's no right answer. If you got a Carrera with manual shift, no SC and no PASM, it would still be a fantastic car that you won't regret. 3 cars later, here's what I ordered: 2009 C2S, Aqua Blue on Black, manual, Sport PASM / LSD, sport heated seats, fire extinguisher, nav, bluetooth, universal audio, carpet mats, and Black Dials (no cost switch from the stock silver). Many would say I blew it by not getting key options like Bose, PDK, Sport Chrono, Full Leather, Adaptive Sport Seats, etc. And why would I get the "black dials" from the Carrera in an S?!? It's what I wanted and I don't regret any of it one bit.

One of the cars will speak to you. You first have to get by the biggest questions of do you want to shift for yourself or do you want Gen 1 PDK (meaning before the true paddles which are now options)? There have been some reports of PDK issues - right here at RL. If you are on the fence between manual and PDK, maybe that's the tie breaker. Next is suspension. If after driving various cars you are convinced that you really must have Gen 2 PASM or even Sport PASM, then that's going to help you narrow things down. Navigation is unfortunately a key item in the 2009+ because you cannot add it later unlike in Gen 1 where it's a module you can add and have programmed at the dealership.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 841 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Okay here's the 09 997 PDK car. Don't have a post for the 07 997 yet. Also found another one at a similar dealership too for same options. Thoughts?

http://www.porscheofarlington.com/de...tOrderBy=5%2C0

http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...a-4777464.html

Here's another on in the area I may take a look at!
http://www.porscheoftysons.com/detai...4-4977895.html

Any ideas or thoughts?
The white one looks like it has PDK without SC. May be a deal killer? Dont understand why these dealers dont make it easy to see what options are on the car. I really think PDK with SC is a must. PASM or SPASM too. Rest is what YOU like. For 997.2's I'd like BT, UAI and NAV. The PCM 3 nav is excellent.

Quick Reply: 09 997 vs CPO 07 997 S