Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 vs. Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Neither am I or my parents. But the insurance company that covered the driver that hit my Cayman offered me some money for injuries. I did inhale alot of airbag fumes which resulted in a sore throat and several trips to the doctor but no missed time at work. There was a limit issue with the other driver and to help discouraging me from suing for the full damages to my car the insurance company sought to sweeten the settlement with some extra cash. Think I got $1200. Also got $1500 for loss of use of my Cayman.

My parents were at the KC Mo hotel the night the 2nd floor balcony collapsed. The air blast knocked my mom out the front door just as she was going out to see if my dad had just pulled up. (Another couple they were to meet were blown out another door on the other side of the ballroom though not hurt. Many though were not so fortunate.)

Neither my mom or dad were injured -- thank God -- but both received injury settlement checks, which they both accepted. The insurance company essentially pushed them into accepting the money -- and my dad worked in the insurance industry a the time -- and was really wanting their signatures on a release form. Both just went with the flow. Easier to do that than push back against a business that thinks only in terms of settlement checks and signed forms. (The money wasn't that much either.)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenMaster
There was sufficient distance between our cars that I was able to stop in time without having to slam on the brakes, but when I checked my rear view mirror I realized that the truck behind me was quickly approaching and would not stop in time. I didn't hear any tires screeching so I'm not even sure he slowed down until he made contact.
Glad you're okay. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Here's a tip you might want consider next time you or anyone else is in a similar situation:

Originally Posted by OCBen
Avoiding Rear End Collisions

... If you do happen to see in your rear view mirror that the guy behind you is not paying attention and doesn't notice your glowing brake lights, do you just cringe and brace yourself while praying that he eventually wakes up? If you're in that situation, just blast your horn nonstop! The guy in front of you will think you're an idiot, but the guy coming up fast behind you will likely be alerted and will get enough of a warning to brake in time to avoid a rear end collision, after you move up a bit in that buffer space you reserved. So be prepared to use your horn when you need to stop suddenly and use it quickly in that situation. Remember, the horn is not just for the guy in front of you - it's to call attention to anyone within hearing distance. It's better to **** off people with the use of your horn to prevent an accident, than to suffer the alternative possibility.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Thanks for the information. My insurance specifies OEM parts upon replacement. In addition, the body shop the car was taken to was not only recommended by my dealership, it's on my insurance company's list of preferred vendors so they'll bill the insurance company directly and there should also not be any dispute over the estimate. Work is also guaranteed for as long as I own the car.

After the body shop disassembles the car, it's going to the dealership for any/all mechanical work per the owner of the body shop. I'm confident that if the car is able to be repaired that it will be done correctly and the car restored to its pre-accident condition.

However, I am in agreement that the car will likely end up being totaled after the estimates are added up. It's a shame, too - that was my first Porsche and I really liked it.
Be careful. My experience in CA is insurance companies sign on body shops as "partners" or as "preferred" shops to give them (the ins. companies) leverage to force the body shops to do a substandard job. The ins. companies of course claim efficiency and quality work is their sole reason or purpose for doing this, but this is a falseshood in my experience.

The first place I took my Turbo to was a preferred shop for my insurance company and the owner told me that he was being forced to do a substandard job. The ins. company, *my* insurance company was denying everything necessary to properly fix the Turbo. The car would not have been put back into its pre-collision condition and would have lost its CPO warranty.

He suggested I "get mad at him" and yank car away and have it taken to a shop that was still qualified to repair the car properly but had no business arrangments with any insurance company. He told me that he depended upon nearly half his business from this insurance company and didn't want to risk losing this relationship over my car.

I did pull the car away and took it to an independent body shop that had no affiliation with at least my insurance company. The shop got paid just fine. But it had to call out the ins. co. ajduster to issue a supplement when my first inspection of the car turned up damage that had been overlooked (conveniently I suspect) by my ins. co.s aduster or an "indenpedent adjuster" who owes his continued existence to pleasing the ins. co.'s that pay for his services.

Car insurance is a sinister business. You have to be aware of what goes on...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 PM
fgv1it
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Very sorry to read about and see the pictures of your accident. I hope that your username indicates that you are well prepared for these unfortunate events, and that you will come out looking forward to the fun part: buying your next Porsche.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man that sucks. Makes me cringe just looking at the damage and imagining how I'd feel if it we me. Not much you can do when the idiot behind you rear ends you. The car can be fixed or replaced. But, you walked away and that's really all that matters.

All things considered, the car held up pretty well which is probably the reason you did as well. Looks like the crush zones did their job. It always amazes me how safe these cars really are. Look at the bright side, insurance totals it you can start working on the options list for your new Porsche.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zen Master, Need a Lawyer?? Hehehe, just kidding... Am glad you came out of this uninjured. From the pictures, it show me the P-Car is solidly built. Demand the car to be fixed to factory conditions. If can't be achieve, you know your second Porsche will be brand spanking new!!! What's your insurance company? Seem like they are generous . When I rolled over my Benz, (6 months old at the time) Allstate wouldn't total it. I wasn't in Good Hand at all. It took the dealer 4 months to have it fix at $36k. It was never the same. Air noise leak, some body panels don't line up. Ride was rough and not smooth. It was a nightmare of a repair. So, if the body frame is bent, total it!!! Otherwise, you will always have that doubt in your mind.

Again, am glad you are ok!!! Start making a list of options for your new P-Car
Old 12-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

A hit from the back in a 911 is serious business.

Be very attentive.

Good luck getting it repaired/written off.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Fairly soon, you'll be driving a Porsche again. The other driver won't .

So I don't think the F-150 driver came out ahead.

Sorry how do you know the other driver won't be driving a Porsche?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. Whether it's a porsche or any other car, any accident is bad news. At least you have your health, which is what matters at this point.

From the pictures, it looks like the 911 held up very well, considering the damage on the truck.

Having said that, I can't possibly imagine an insurance wanting to repair that car. Your insurance should give you KBB cost and be done with it.

Good luck and stay positive. Life is full of ups and downs. Nine months ago, I was in the hospital with two broken vertebras on my neck. Now I'm driving my first 911.

-T
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry man, that really sucks......glad you're ok.

Hopefully, there will be a silver lining.......possibly in the form of a nicely optioned 2009 or 2010 997.2 Cab
Old 12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you're ok.

It's always good to see front & rear shredded while avoiding intrusions into the interior.

My sister had a '36 Pontiac parked on a hill, brakes failed, rolled down the hill & totaled two other cars with just a scratch on the bumper of the Pontiac. That's really dangerous to occupants (of the Pontiac) where the force just gets transmitted to you rather than crushing the exterior. Luckily, no one was in any of the cars at the time.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While I'm very sorry to read of this accident, I'm also very glad that everyone was alright.

As much as we all love our cars, they're really only metal, plastic, rubber and aluminum and can be replaced and/or repaired. People aren't as easy to fix and can't be replaced.

It looks like your car held up remarkably well... that's also good to see.

Here's to hoping that the rest of your holiday is stress free and that 2010 either brings you a perfectly repaired 911 or a brand new one to replace this one.

Health, happiness and prosperity.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Para82
Sorry how do you know the other driver won't be driving a Porsche?
No idea. Just based on probability.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Maxy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
We were lucky to be in such a strong vehicle and with a factory trailer hitch.
????
Old 12-23-2009, 01:41 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow - looks like your airbag deployed as well. That completely sucks. That must of scared the hell out of you.

Reminds of a time I was taking an exit ramp moderately fast and noticed a Pickup trying to keep up with me. I gently slowed to a normal speed. My wife was confused until I explained that high performance was as much about stopping fast as it was going fast, and that if I needed to stop he would not be able to (I know your situation is different - just reminded me ....)

Good luck with this.

Quick Reply: 911 vs. Ford F-150