Sponsored by:

C2 with PASM & chrono vs C2S PASM & no chrono

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Jastx
Thanks everyone. Alex, the S I'm considering is the same color as yours. The non-S is slate grey. The greys are my favorites, especially slate.

I agree PASM is a must have. Sounds like sport chrono should not be a concern, especially for non-track use.

Now my big question is: Is there an overriding reason to get an S over a Carrera for the mostly-near-the-legal-speed-limit use for which I will use it. Are they both happy at street speeds? Is low end torque better in one than the other? I'm trying land a nice car with PASM, 2006 model or newer, less than 35k miles for under $50k. Both of my alternatives meet those criteria, and there aren't many I could find that do. The S may be the one that gets more attention when I sell.

I have also been looking at a couple of 40th Anniversary cars. They're great with X51 power pack, sports suspension, full leather, special features. I was convinced that was what I wanted but I have found a couple of nice 2006 997s close the same price range as the low mile 40th cars. The 997 platform is such an advance, I'm considering these cars with less options than the 40th but better ride, dynamics, and performance. The main point that hit me was a review that said the 996 transmit a lot of rear suspension road noise into the cabin and the 997s do not. One reason I'm changing cars (non-Pcar now) is road noise on grainy highways. I want a little more refinement.

This is not my first P-car (see my signature for two of four) but my first water pumper. Unlike with my previous Porsches, I'm wanting the best Porsche for driving every day.

Thanks again for your experienced opinions. Very helpful.
The 40th anni is actually qute noisy and rough on freeways. Its a great car but its stiffer and 10mm lower than a regular 996. Its not a very easy DD but a great car. You cant really have a cell phone conversation doing 70+ mph on the fwy. Can do short ones but thats about it.

I just got a 997.2 SPASM. Its awesome. In any mode its more compliant and easier to DD than a 40th. In normal on PASM its quite comfortable for a sports car. Easy to chat on the phone etc.

I'd get the S (more power and better brakes) and be done with it. SC is neither here nor there (unless its a 997.2 with PDK and then its essential). PASM will be great for in town driving. You'll leave it in normal 95% of the time - sport if you hit the twisty's or if you like it really stiff.

Quick Reply: C2 with PASM & chrono vs C2S PASM & no chrono