Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Sport Seat experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:10 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the offer. I'm a bit of a sucker for power seats due to the ability to fine tune so many adjustments and lock them in. It usually takes me a week or so in a new car to find the right position, and as someone else said, it is nice to hit that memory button after a service technician has totally destroyed all your seat settings.
Someone said there was inadequate thigh adjustment in the sport seats compared to the ***. I thought the sport seats had thigh (tilt) adjustment with the lever on side. Perhaps it is there, but with a smaller range than the *** variety.
So far I've heard no complaints about climbing over the higher bolsters on the sport seats or adaptives. But it sounds like all the seats are pretty good, so perhaps shouldn't be a major driver in car selection. But have to admit the sport seats and adaptives look more appropriate for our cars.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Thanks for the offer. I'm a bit of a sucker for power seats due to the ability to fine tune so many adjustments and lock them in. It usually takes me a week or so in a new car to find the right position, and as someone else said, it is nice to hit that memory button after a service technician has totally destroyed all your seat settings.
Someone said there was inadequate thigh adjustment in the sport seats compared to the ***. I thought the sport seats had thigh (tilt) adjustment with the lever on side. Perhaps it is there, but with a smaller range than the *** variety.
So far I've heard no complaints about climbing over the higher bolsters on the sport seats or adaptives. But it sounds like all the seats are pretty good, so perhaps shouldn't be a major driver in car selection. But have to admit the sport seats and adaptives look more appropriate for our cars.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Ken, the lever on the side of the Sport Seats will either raise or lower the whole seat, but there is NOT a way to adjust the "tilt" on the seat bottom.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Ken, the lever on the side of the Sport Seats will either raise or lower the whole seat, but there is NOT a way to adjust the "tilt" on the seat bottom.
Correct.

And I have absolutely no issues with ingress/egress due to the more substantial support on the seats. Nor do I have any issues with wear at nearly 2 years and nearly 10,000 miles.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Dave in Oregon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend that you spend some time in both the sport seat and the adaptive sport seat. I have the *** on my car since I purchased it with this option but I actually prefer the standard sport seat to the *** . They just seem to fit my body better (I'm 5-6 and weigh 125 lbs.) The *** seats seem too firm even with the bladders deflated and they seem to have way too many adjustments beyond what is needed. The regular sport seats are simple, offer excellent support and weigh a lot less. But see for yourself which seat you prefer. You are the one who will be spending time in them !
Old 12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose from dealer inventory and my car happened to have ***, and don't get me wrong I do enjoy my *** especially on longer rides, but if I was ordering the car from scratch I wouldn't pursue the *** unless money was no issue. Normal seats are adequate, look good, and weigh a lot less.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
...and weigh a lot less.
How much weight difference is there? (Per car).
Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by timothyli
The most important features of any seat for me is enough thigh support, this requires a deep seat with tilt up feature, this limits me to only the power seats as the manual seat bottom only goes up and down, does not tilt.
I would agree, I have the Leather Sport Seats and they are great but I do miss maybe a 1/4" of tilt that maybe a power seat would have given me to support my large thighs. (I compete as a Clydesdale in triathlons!) My Boxster had power seats and apart from an Eames chair I have not yet found more comfortable seats.
Doesn't really answer your *** question but hopefully this will provide more user feedback.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

So it sounds like there isn't that much to pick and choose between the regular power seats and the ***, since they both provide a lot of comfort and adjustments (especially tilt). I'm not hearing that the *** or sport seats provide significantly better support than the regular seats.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going into my new car I thought I wanted the infinitely adjustable electric seats with memory etc...loved being automatically put into position in my Cayenne TT though I could never get the right fit...always had right hip pressure/discomfort too. I was hesitant about the sports buckets in the C4S launch I bought last month because of their lack of adjustability...well...now as a daily driver for 1 month and 2k break in miles, I can say they're the most appropriate and comfortable seats I've ever had...no fluff, just a helluva fit. Every time I slide in it feels like a custom fit. I believe I'll opt for them in any future 911's as well. Give them a try....they might be wat you're looking for. After my test drive prior to purchase, I sat in a T4S with sport seats and it was like sitting on a bench...no exaggeration...other posts have described the same feeling. Good luck Ken and thanks for all your info when I was considering the T4S.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Mambodoc: So you ended up getting a new C4S? Good for you. I sat in a club member's new C4S with sport bucket seats a few months ago. I found them hard to get in and out of, and as I recall, there was limited adjustment capability. Plus, I'm in the market for a 997.1, and those seats (I believe) are only offered on the 997.2 cars. But glad you like them.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it sounds like there isn't that much to pick and choose between the regular power seats and the ***, since they both provide a lot of comfort and adjustments (especially tilt). I'm not hearing that the *** or sport seats provide significantly better support than the regular seats.
Thanks for all the feedback.
The one thing in particular that nobody seems to be mentioning (which I thought was significant) is the lateral support. The *** really allows you to dial in the lateral support both at your thighs and your lumbar area. "Tight" or "loose" as you like it. Most of the time I have it so I just feel the side bolsters but can still get in and out easily. When I want to drive in a "more spirited manner" I make it more snug.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
The one thing in particular that nobody seems to be mentioning (which I thought was significant) is the lateral support. The *** really allows you to dial in the lateral support both at your thighs and your lumbar area. "Tight" or "loose" as you like it. Most of the time I have it so I just feel the side bolsters but can still get in and out easily. When I want to drive in a "more spirited manner" I make it more snug.
AHA. That is what I wanted to hear.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 130 Posts

+1

Really missed that in my 997TT which had sport seats. Loved the *** in my 06 4S and absolutely love them them in the GT3. The lateral support in thigh and lumbar regions is one of the main reasons me to when possible go for the ***.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mambodoc: So you ended up getting a new C4S? Good for you. I sat in a club member's new C4S with sport bucket seats a few months ago. I found them hard to get in and out of, and as I recall, there was limited adjustment capability. Plus, I'm in the market for a 997.1, and those seats (I believe) are only offered on the 997.2 cars. But glad you like them.
Ken -

There weren't many of them made but the "sport bucket seats" with minimal adjustments that you're referring to were available for late 2008 997 cars. I very nearly ordered them with my car but passed (and I know how this sounds) because you couldn't get heated seats with them.

Also... IMO, the *** or the "standard" sport seats (non-power ***) offer a substantial amount of additional support over the base seats. I'm very broad of shoulder and can really feel the additional support there, around my rib cage and on the outside of my upper legs.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly. *** is my favorite option no doubt. I'm 5'10" and 170 lbs with a bony posterior and the *** is really snug over my lateral thighs. The lumbar sport works great too, you can really personalize the *** to your liking.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seat experience