Sponsored by:

Adaptive Sport Seat experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Adaptive Sport Seat experience

I parted with my wonderful 07 T4S today. Luckily, it wasn't due to financial pressures. I simply decided I wanted to return to a cab again. My last two 997's had regular full leather power/heated seats, which I found extremely comfortable. However, I've always been drawn to the look of sport seats, particularly the *** option, and have sat in some from time to time, and they seem equally comfortable just sitting in them. Before I look too seriously for a used cab with the *** option seats, I'm interested in knowing whether others have found any down side to the *** seats, or found that the standard seats were preferable to the sport seats. I'm hoping the next car (cab) will be a long term keeper, and don't want to spend a lot of time searching for a car with *** only to find later that I should have stayed with a car with the standard seats which are easier to find.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

I have (manual) sports seats which are excellent, fitting me perfectly. You need to seat on them and see if they fit you. *** are adjustable but I think you need to see if the mid setting is a perfect fit. *** is also very heavy and overly complex.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I have *** seats and really like them. They also look good, the seats alone are reason not to tint your windows.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I've been sitting in them for 5 years and still love them. No downsides from my point of view. I love ***.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:28 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most important features of any seat for me is enough thigh support, this requires a deep seat with tilt up feature, this limits me to only the power seats as the manual seat bottom only goes up and down, does not tilt. Both the standard and adaptive sport seats should be very comfortable. The adaptive might offer marginally better lateral support.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:04 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a back issue, missing several discs in my lower spine that causes sciatic issues down my legs, so supportive seats are a must. I have the adaptive sport seats in our C2S and have driven up t 12 hours a day on trips and they are great. Additionally I have found out the hard way just how good truely supportive seats are in an accident. The Cayenne GTS has basically the adaptive sport seats and Friday my wife and I were hit very hard in the rear while stopped at a stop light in our Cayenne GTS. The seats supported our backs, the side bolsters kept us from moving sideways and the head rests prevented whiplash. Force of the impact, a Chevy Suberban failed to stop and hit us going about 30 mpg. All his airbags deployed. YES on the adaptive sport seats. They are comfortable, adapt to almost any body style or size and very supportive.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I traded, my beloved, 92C2 because the 12 way seats were not comfortable for me on long trips. When I drove my 06S with adaptives, the support was so good I bought the car.
My 09, had to have adaptives, no questions asked, the most comfortable and supportive seats I have ever had.
I am only 5'7", 160 lbs, with a bad back.
I didn't spend much time in the standard sport seats, for an accurate comparison.
Sit in them and compare....
Old 12-20-2009, 11:20 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the *** option on my 08 997S, and like the seats OK, but depending on your size, you may not benefit much from the seat adjustments. I am 6'1" and weigh about 190 and I have to leave the side and seat bolsters in the most "relaxed" position to be able to fit in the seats. I can see how the adjustable side and seat bolsters would benefit a small person, but for me not much benefit. I had the standard comfort seats with power and memory in my 07, and I will most likely go with those seats or the regular sport seats in my next one. For me, the *** are not worth the cost and added weight because I really can't adjust them much.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I had *** in my C4S and have regular sport seats in my GT3.

I would not spend the money for the ***......regular sports are just fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

I've had the regular sports seats in my last two Porsches and find that I can get the perfect driving position and outstanding long distance comfort from them.

To me, the only advantage of the *** would be the memory function, but, as I don't share the car with my wife, the only time I regret the absence is when I take it in for service and the seat comes back adjusted off the normal setting in every conceivable way. The inconvenience isn't worth £1500 to fix.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

Here's why I like the A.S.S.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my *** too However, that just doesn't seem right.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by timothyli
The most important features of any seat for me is enough thigh support, this requires a deep seat with tilt up feature, this limits me to only the power seats as the manual seat bottom only goes up and down, does not tilt. Both the standard and adaptive sport seats should be very comfortable. The adaptive might offer marginally better lateral support.
I share your exact requirement for adaquate thigh support. I can sit in a car for 3 or 4 seconds and rule it out as a daily driver because the seat bottom is too short and or it lacks the seat bottom tilt option. For me, most auto seats are a) too short and b) lacking in adaquate tilt.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
schwartzwest
Instructor

I had manual sports seats in my 00 Boxster and they were OK. My 06 C2S has heated adaptive sport seats and I LOVE them! Heated seats are a must in a cab IMHO (extending comfortable top-down driving into the shoulder seasons and cool evenings). I simply find that the *** fits my *** very well, however, individual results may vary.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I parted with my wonderful 07 T4S today. Luckily, it wasn't due to financial pressures. I simply decided I wanted to return to a cab again. My last two 997's had regular full leather power/heated seats, which I found extremely comfortable. However, I've always been drawn to the look of sport seats, particularly the *** option, and have sat in some from time to time, and they seem equally comfortable just sitting in them. Before I look too seriously for a used cab with the *** option seats, I'm interested in knowing whether others have found any down side to the *** seats, or found that the standard seats were preferable to the sport seats. I'm hoping the next car (cab) will be a long term keeper, and don't want to spend a lot of time searching for a car with *** only to find later that I should have stayed with a car with the standard seats which are easier to find.
Ken -

I am bummed you sold that beautiful Targa. I was hoping to hear that X51 headers, AWE cats, PSE combo. in person! But good on you for getting what you really like.

I have the manual sport seats in my 08 997 S and absolutely love them. I didn't do the power option because my wife can't drive stick and so the memory option, extra cost, and potential for repairs didn't do anything for me. I find the sport seats to be very comfortable (even more so now that I'm down more than 30 lbs since I bought the car) with excellent support.

We're off to NYC for the Xmas holidays on Wed. and not back until after the New Years but if you can wait that long and you're interested... I'm more than happy to bring the car by anytime that works for you if you want some "in seat" time. My guess is that the *** seats are even more comfortable given the extra adjustability.

Merry Xmas!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Sport Seat experience