Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Only procedure for what?
Avoiding battery rundown/discharge.

As in:

To avoid battery run-down, always remove the
ignition key from the ignition lock.
To avoid discharging the battery, always remove
the ignition key from the ignition lock.
To avoid discharging the battery, always remove
the ignition key from the ignition lock.
Locking the car is not indicated, but I lock mine when I'm not driving it because I find a habit is easier to maintain than battling absent mindedness.

There may be some small benefit to locking the car as it seems like the systems (computer, blue tooth, GPS) shut down more quickly when it is locked and the interior lighting turns off immediately.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Although the manual says remove the ignition key, those statements do not in any way imply that LOCKING the car results in less electrical usage. Any competent automotive electrical shop would tell you that a locked car has more systems (alarms, monitors) actively working than one that is unlocked and thus, usage of electrical power is higher.

By this time everyone with a 997 should be aware that leaving a key fully inserted in the ignition lock will drain the car's battery quickly.

Your conclusions are in error.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Tell us upon what you have based this comment.
I stand... or in this case sit... somewhat corrected.

According to the manual (page 264, I believe) and unlocked car will continue to put a higher load on the battery with several systems that go into "stand by" mode. However, the car automatically turns those systems off after a fixed period of time and at that point there's no difference in the load on the battery between a locked and an unlocked car. However, locking the car automatically turns off those systems.

Having said all of that... my memory was clearly wrong but I still would swear on a stack of bibles that I read that in a recent Porsche manual but it might have been the manual to a 2006 Cayman S that I drove for about a month a few years ago.

Apologies for any confusion.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:28 AM
Volvicle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yea it matters

Originally Posted by rcg412
honestly, does it really matter?
If I leave the car parked and not used for weeks it does matter. Traveling or using alternative transportation can result in the car not being driven. I now disconnect the ground and have no problems with the battery.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:44 PM
E39Nutz
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Volvicle
If I leave the car parked and not used for weeks it does matter. Traveling or using alternative transportation can result in the car not being driven. I now disconnect the ground and have no problems with the battery.
LOL, austrich policy. Spend some money and get a CTEK. No reason to keep disconnecting/reconnecting the battery.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:36 AM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

Drive your car once every week or two a you’ll never need to think about these things.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:55 AM
JAAM
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 72 Posts

I drive mine about 2500 miles, from May to December, and she remains unlocked with the frunk open; just in case the better dies. The battery, interstate, is about 4 years old and I have yet to have a dead battery 🙃
From December to May, she’s left unlocked, frunk remains open with battery tender plugged in.

Quick Reply: Locked vs Unlocked and battery usage