Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New infant on the way. Do I need to sell my 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Handoogies
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of fond memories riding in the back of my daddy's porsche growing up, hitting the mountain corners hard.... now I have my own, waiting to fill the back seats with my own kids.... Moral of the story, don't deprive your kids that.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Originally Posted by Mspeedster
Keep the 911 and buy a cheap baby mobile as an alternate transport.
+1. Perfect opportunity to start having more cars than drivers in the household!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
Isn't this why Porsches have roof racks ?
Strap the buggers in and give them some fresh air at the same time you are keeping the interior clean and tidy.
And I'll bet you could fit another 4 or 5 babies in the frunk.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
schwartzwest
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great thread- I can agree with, or can relate to almost every post! I thought my situation and thoughts might have been unique, but it turns out I am one among many!

I have two kids- now 7 and 10. I had a Boxster for a few years, now a 997 C2S to go with my M5 as a daily driver. My wife drives an LR3. The rules were "no food in daddy's cars", "hands and faces do not touch the glass", and "you only touch the door handle on the outside". The cherios, crumbs, wrappers and juice boxes were reserved for my wife's LR3. Yyou know what the kids ALWAYS say to me? We love going in your car- it is cleaner than mommy's!)

I had a child seat in the boxster which would plug into a seatbelt like adapter under the passenger's seat which would deactivate the airbag. I could only take one passenger at a time obviously- but the kids loved it and looked forward to their turn. Now we can all go as a family and my daughter (10) is tall enough to sit in the front with me with no booster seat, and my son (7) with a booster. The 06 C2S has a weight sensor in the passenger's seat which automatically deactivates the airbag if the weight is too low. They still look forward to going in "Daddy's Porsche" and know it's special. My daughter noted recently when I dropped her off at school in the C2S Cab, "Daddy, whenever we drive in this car people always look at us" I asked her how she felt about it, and after thinking for a moment, a smile crept across her face and she stated almost sheepishly, "I like it."

I know I'm way off topic here- I'll get back on.

Unless you are going to be doing all of the baby/kid carrying in the Porsche, I think it will be just fine as an occasional child transport. I assume you or your wife have another kid-carrier for most of those duties. If not, get one! Kids will easily learn any rules you lay down, for when they are in your Porsche. I don't think you need to turf the Porsche at all! Keep it, enjoy it, let your 5 year old enjoy it! Let your new one grow to enjoy it!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

I agree.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Keep the car, get that kid in it early - plant the seed. That way, when they grow up, they'll continue our species.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:48 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one of the reasons the 911 appealed to me was the back seats and how they accommodated the kids. at the time, my wife said i could have ONE car. i knew i'd need to be able to take the kids around. of course, having my other car is convenient for when her parents visit, so i kept it. had i known i'd get 2 cars, i would probably have a GT3, but now i really like the carrera (S).

my 6 yr old girl loves riding in it and asks me to "hit the speed button" (downshift)

my 2 yr old son can pick out a porsche and points to it - call's it a "daddy-go"

my father sold his '61 corvette when he had kids and bought a ford galaxy 500. always regretted it.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

haha! I love this thread as my wife and I are expecting our first in April and I've just bought a CPO 06 Carrera!

I'm coming from two previous NSX's and when my wife found out that a) the 911 has rear seats and b) and is cheaper than 02-05 NSX's she said "why don't you get a 911 instead?"

The rest is history! She'll have the family wagon and I'll have an amazing sportscar with the ability to hold two child seats.

Life is good
Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
vman4639
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone with a kid will tell you this is no joke. You should see the inside of the wife's mini-van when I clean it. AND, you should see the look on her face when I protest her handing food to the kids when they are in my BMW. No food in the 911 - that's not negotiable.

Originally Posted by tpenta
Oh come on guys, do you really want your 911 sprinkled with cheetos and gold fish crumbs?

-T
Agreed - we got a Jeep for this purpose (also for fun).
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Keep it, kids love 911s... what good dad would deprive a kid of such an experience?!

Also keep in mind that your kids will become your best household Porsche "allies" in the future. If the kids votes count, then you will easily out number your wife when it comes to important Porsche decisions!

Humm... I need a Sharkswerk bypass.... hummm, kids what do you think? The car will be a little bit louder, is that ok? Yes, yes! Ok honey, the kids and I decided to mod the 911. 3 to 1 vote, we win! Simple...

I have a 964 that I transport the kids around town in a couple times a week. I love the fact that they "know" the 911 smell (oil + old German car), the 911 sound (primary bypass, engine sound pad removed, oil gruggling around), the 911 feel (solid, compact, Wevo engine mounts slightly shaking the car at idle).

When my son was 4 1/2, there was a period where he was fascinated by the movable wing... Daddy is the wing up? Daddy is the wing down now? The thoughts that must have been going through his head at the time...

Plus at 6, he's already made it quite clear that he wants to own it one day? Perfect, now I have a carrot for him...
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Keep it, kids love 911s... what good dad would deprive a kid of such an experience?!
Great photo! When I had my 911SC Targa, we took a trip from MA to OH with my son (6 at the time) in the back seat. I must confess that I had a 3rd vehicle that I used but that was only because I didn't want to drive my 911 in the winter when there was salt, sand, and ice on the roads.

The back seat of a 911 is PERFECT for kids!
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by schwartzwest
This is a great thread- I can agree with, or can relate to almost every post! I thought my situation and thoughts might have been unique, but it turns out I am one among many!

I have two kids- now 7 and 10. I had a Boxster for a few years, now a 997 C2S to go with my M5 as a daily driver. My wife drives an LR3. The rules were "no food in daddy's cars", "hands and faces do not touch the glass", and "you only touch the door handle on the outside". The cherios, crumbs, wrappers and juice boxes were reserved for my wife's LR3. Yyou know what the kids ALWAYS say to me? We love going in your car- it is cleaner than mommy's!)

I had a child seat in the boxster which would plug into a seatbelt like adapter under the passenger's seat which would deactivate the airbag. I could only take one passenger at a time obviously- but the kids loved it and looked forward to their turn. Now we can all go as a family and my daughter (10) is tall enough to sit in the front with me with no booster seat, and my son (7) with a booster. The 06 C2S has a weight sensor in the passenger's seat which automatically deactivates the airbag if the weight is too low. They still look forward to going in "Daddy's Porsche" and know it's special. My daughter noted recently when I dropped her off at school in the C2S Cab, "Daddy, whenever we drive in this car people always look at us" I asked her how she felt about it, and after thinking for a moment, a smile crept across her face and she stated almost sheepishly, "I like it."

Unless you are going to be doing all of the baby/kid carrying in the Porsche, I think it will be just fine as an occasional child transport. I assume you or your wife have another kid-carrier for most of those duties. If not, get one! Kids will easily learn any rules you lay down, for when they are in your Porsche. I don't think you need to turf the Porsche at all! Keep it, enjoy it, let your 5 year old enjoy it! Let your new one grow to enjoy it!

Dude you are living my life. Just a bit further North! Here is how mine reads, in red:

I have three kids- now 2, 4 and 6. I had a Boxster for a few years, now a 997 C2 to go with my 525iT as a daily driver. My wife drives an LR3. The rules were "no food in daddy's cars", "hands and faces do not touch the glass", and "you only touch the door handle on the outside". The cherios, crumbs, wrappers and juice boxes were reserved for my wife's LR3. Yyou know what the kids ALWAYS say to me? We love going in your car- it is cleaner than mommy's!)

I had a child seat in the boxster which would plug into a seatbelt like adapter under the passenger's seat which would deactivate the airbag. I could only take one passenger at a time obviously- but the kids loved it and looked forward to their turn. Now we can all go as a family, without Mom and my daughter (6) is heavy enough to sit in the front with me with a booster. The 06 C2 has a weight sensor in the passenger's seat which automatically deactivates the airbag if the weight is too low. They still look forward to going in "Daddy's Porsche" and refer to it as The Blue car or The Race car..

Old 12-17-2009, 05:42 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Originally Posted by OneManTX
+1. Perfect opportunity to start having more cars than drivers in the household!
I agree.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

I have 4 childen betw 3 and 14 and they all fight to drive in daddy's "sports car." In my car, my middle daughter does not get that "car tummy ache" she usually gets in a long car ride. 911s are made bespoke to joyride w/ your children....
Old 12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
HawaiiGTS
AutoX

All,

Thanks for the great dialogue on this issue. I bought a Cayenne GTS last year in lieu of a 911 because I couldn't then get comfortable with the idea of my kids spending a lot of time in the back seats. After driving past the Porsche dealer on my way to work everyday for the past 1-1/2 years, I decided to get a C4S, which I will pick up tomorrow. I know there have been other posts on this topic, but which child seats work best for a 3 year old? I'm going to need to go shopping this weekend. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New infant on the way. Do I need to sell my 997?