Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New infant on the way. Do I need to sell my 997?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't this why Porsches have roof racks ?
Strap the buggers in and give them some fresh air at the same time you are keeping the interior clean and tidy.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Rambler358
Instructor

Originally Posted by stom_m3
Our second is due in July. I've read that a infant rear facing seat does not fit in the rear. I have an '06 997 supposedly with the airbag off system but I don't think you can put an infant in the front seat in California.
Not what you wanted to hear, but your loss is someone else's gain. I picked up my '07 997 from someone who also just had a new child, and traded it in for a MB S550 - definately a family/business car.

If you can afford to sell it and come back in a few years, that would be my suggestion. Congrats and good luck!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by PTpeecar
Isn't this why Porsches have roof racks ?
Strap the buggers in and give them some fresh air at the same time you are keeping the interior clean and tidy.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

While it may not be illegal to strap them on the roof, I do think there's something about "...leaving a debris field in your wake (cheerios, juice boxes, shoes, etc.)" that violates some sort of law. Think of the poor guy behind you getting pelted with the stuff!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:53 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a second car and keep the 911. Baby will be facing forward in a year and those quick drives by yourself before that will be priceless. Pick up one of those dyson hand vacuums and go with a no sticky food rule.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (09-22-2020)
Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
quickxotica
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep the 911. Make the car seats work. Your initial negotiating position should be ZERO food/drink while in the car. If that doesn't fly, your fallback minimum rule is "no dairy & no berry," which applies to both solids and liquids. That keeps the damage to a minimum while you create lasting family memories in the P-car. BTDT. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by tpenta
Oh come on guys, do you really want your 911 sprinkled with cheetos and gold fish crumbs?

-T
You have no idea how familiar that sounds to me!!!

OP, absolutely keep your car!!!!!!! Not sure you can get a rear facing seat in back (with the right seat perhaps you can), but no problem in California in the front seat (law says kids in back unless not possible). Once the kid graduates to forward facing seat, you're good for many years with the kid-friendly seats in back.

My 8 + 4 y/o's have grown up in Daddy's Porsches and love them!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:14 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

OP....you need help. Kids dont run your life.....you run the kids lives till they get to around 12-13....then they run your life. Have fun...keep the car....you only go around once.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
sako
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put my 9 month old in the rear with the rear facing baby seat. The only issue is I have the sport seats and have to put the seat all the way forward and slightly up so that the seat will click/lock. My wife sits next to the baby in the back and is comfortable for 30min-60 min trips. I'll try to post some picks.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Three rules for my girls:
1) No shoes in the car
2) No food in the car
3) No touching the paint

Our Main Family car is an Audi A3 but we all fit fine in the 997. I'm 6 foot 200 lbs
my wife is 5'10" and my twins are 3 years old. Don't get me wrong, it's snug and cozy but it's so much fun and they know it's special. They tell everyone "we rode in the Porsche".
As a man who is currently "negotiating" with his wife about kids... I offer my humble respect. You ARE the man.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:37 PM
jca3
Intermediate

I take a 5-year old and a 9-year old in my backseat. My girls call it a ride in the "hot car".

"Daddy, can we take the hot car?"

Twist my arm girls...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

In the early '60s my dad bought a 356 while stationed in Stuttgart. We were a family of 6 at the time, with four of us under the age of 5 (one newborn). It had the little rack over the engine cover. We tooled all over Europe in it, and then rode in it a bit when we all returned to the states. Once back home, I'm told but don't personally recall, I decided to play in it and move the contents of my sand box into the passenger footwell. This apparently caused some displeasure.

I'm pretty sure both the kids and the car can survive if they're allowed to mix these days, too. Heck, it might even be safer now.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
As a man who is currently "negotiating" with his wife about kids... I offer my humble respect. You ARE the man.

Thank you.... I was looking at getting my first Porsche and my wife drove a Honda Odessy mini-van. After going back and forth on the ridiculousness of spending so much money on a car, she finally agrees that I've worked hard and deserve it and we can afford it. Then she say's "there's no way I'm driving that lame *** mini van everyday, you know I'll be dropping the kids off and then using the porsche". That my friends was not part of the plan. I quickly suggested we go buy her a fun car and sell the van. She settled on the A3 2.0 Turbo and loves it.
I was off the hook and back in the game.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Thank you.... I was looking at getting my first Porsche and my wife drove a Honda Odessy mini-van. After going back and forth on the ridiculousness of spending so much money on a car, she finally agrees that I've worked hard and deserve it and we can afford it. Then she say's "there's no way I'm driving that lame *** mini van everyday, you know I'll be dropping the kids off and then using the porsche". That my friends was not part of the plan. I quickly suggested we go buy her a fun car and sell the van. She settled on the A3 2.0 Turbo and loves it.
I was off the hook and back in the game.
Bought my wife her CaymanS first, then went out and got my 997S. She was upset with me for needing more HP than she had (ha!), but in the end all is well.

If my kids weren't grown and gone, they'd be allowed to drive my car or move their sand piles into it - they're worth more to me than any car ever would be.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Is the hidden issue the woman carrying said child says you must get rid of the 911? If not, keep it! As mentioned, there are seats that will work for child and car.

you can double check CA law.. but how would it work if you had a 2 door bench seat pick up. Where would the kid sit? Right.. in the front. Don't give into the safety police

Quick Reply: New infant on the way. Do I need to sell my 997?