Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

To the two questions... I never had or considered the 996 GT3 seats because they aren't compliant with the 997 electronics. Meaning, the 997 has a thorax airbag and all who put them in the 997 have to either live with the "airbag fault" light or convince somebody to turn it off. This is a street/track car, so for me it has to be 100% Fed approved. In other words, if I had a buddy in the car on the street and we got hit, I'd only be comfortable in a car that was OEM, federally tested / approved, etc. The GT2 seats I put in are just that - no airbag fault because they have the required thorax airbags.

To the second question, you'd have to read up my past posts on the 997 GT3 I owned. I didn't like it as much as I liked my 997.1 C2S. The reasons are outlined in detail elsewhere, but in general the GT3 made a fine track car, but a poor street car (for me). As to cost, it's not relevant for me. Whether I spend more on a C2S with OEM seats and suspension parts is not a factor. I want what I want and what I wanted was a DFI 997.2 RWD C2S w/ Sport PASM suspension, better clearance than my GT3 had, a more compliant suspension, a more "under the radar" car for on the street, etc.

Right now I have the perfect balance for my needs. The seats are OEM and comfortable. I tuck / move the 6-points so I can use the car 100% as a street car 6 days of the week and on the 7th I head to the track. The suspension is comfortable, I have the clearance to not scrape on every driveway apron / speed bump. The car doesn't attract undue interest (ie: big wing), etc.

Here's the thing. When this car was new and not yet "tweaked", it was passing the 996 and 997 GT3s on the track. Not so much me, but the capability of the 997.2 C2S is that good. We've heard it elsewhere at RL and other places - that the 997.2 C2S is tearing it up everywhere. I know it myself. Now that I have the "safety stuff" and can be planted in the seats with harnesses and Hans...

Do I desire a 997.2 GT3? Nope, not interested. There's something nice about arriving at the track on these 4 wheels, tearing it up, and then driving home.

Bottom line to the last question. I was very deliberate in all of this. I owned a tweaked 997.1 C2S, a 997.1 GT3, and this modified 997.2 C2S is my personal "perfect solution". Considered modifying my 997.1 GT3, getting a 997 GT2, a 997.2 GT3, a Cup Car, etc. But in the end, this is my "perfect" car on balance of all factors.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+100 Ron

When we want what we want, money is the last thing on our minds.

Thats why we have porsche's because we make **** happen
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I can't tell you how many people were incredulous that I traded a 997 GT3 for a 997.2 C2S. Obviously I didn't make money on that scenario, though I was lucky enough to basically break even (bought the stripper GT3 for a great deal, sold it for a few k within what I paid, passing it through the dealer for trade-in credit).
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Understood. I might PM you re your track mods as I get closer to a 'forced' decision if you don't mind. TIA

Originally Posted by RonCT
To the two questions... I never had or considered the 996 GT3 seats because they aren't compliant with the 997 electronics. Meaning, the 997 has a thorax airbag and all who put them in the 997 have to either live with the "airbag fault" light or convince somebody to turn it off. This is a street/track car, so for me it has to be 100% Fed approved. In other words, if I had a buddy in the car on the street and we got hit, I'd only be comfortable in a car that was OEM, federally tested / approved, etc. The GT2 seats I put in are just that - no airbag fault because they have the required thorax airbags.

To the second question, you'd have to read up my past posts on the 997 GT3 I owned. I didn't like it as much as I liked my 997.1 C2S. The reasons are outlined in detail elsewhere, but in general the GT3 made a fine track car, but a poor street car (for me). As to cost, it's not relevant for me. Whether I spend more on a C2S with OEM seats and suspension parts is not a factor. I want what I want and what I wanted was a DFI 997.2 RWD C2S w/ Sport PASM suspension, better clearance than my GT3 had, a more compliant suspension, a more "under the radar" car for on the street, etc.

Right now I have the perfect balance for my needs. The seats are OEM and comfortable. I tuck / move the 6-points so I can use the car 100% as a street car 6 days of the week and on the 7th I head to the track. The suspension is comfortable, I have the clearance to not scrape on every driveway apron / speed bump. The car doesn't attract undue interest (ie: big wing), etc.

Here's the thing. When this car was new and not yet "tweaked", it was passing the 996 and 997 GT3s on the track. Not so much me, but the capability of the 997.2 C2S is that good. We've heard it elsewhere at RL and other places - that the 997.2 C2S is tearing it up everywhere. I know it myself. Now that I have the "safety stuff" and can be planted in the seats with harnesses and Hans...

Do I desire a 997.2 GT3? Nope, not interested. There's something nice about arriving at the track on these 4 wheels, tearing it up, and then driving home.

Bottom line to the last question. I was very deliberate in all of this. I owned a tweaked 997.1 C2S, a 997.1 GT3, and this modified 997.2 C2S is my personal "perfect solution". Considered modifying my 997.1 GT3, getting a 997 GT2, a 997.2 GT3, a Cup Car, etc. But in the end, this is my "perfect" car on balance of all factors.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Feel free to email - you can get to me via RennList (I have PM and email active). It's one of those things where every generation is a bit more capable. 996 GT3 can be "trumped" by a tweajed 997.1 C2S or 997.1GT3. Tweaked 997.2 C2S can trump 997.1 GT3. 997.2 GT3 will trump them all. Am I interested in going into a 997.2 GT3? Nope, had a GT3, great car, doesn't meet my personal wants of a balanced street / DE car - but the tweaked 997.2 C2S sure does.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM
tgarnoldo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron,

How did you mount the sub strap?

Arnie
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

BK Sub strap mounts I believe were used. Can't really remember...

Quick Reply: Roll bar, GT2 seats, SSK, and Softronic are in