Sponsored by:

Wondering if: 911=Miata/335i ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Miata and 911, should never be in the same sentence!
No offense intended here but FWIW... I strongly disagree with this sentiment.

The Miata has always been a fantastic roadster for the money. They get a really bad rap by people some but I think it's largely unwarranted.

I've seen a lot of fast drivers circle a track in a "lowly" Miata much faster than supposedly superior hardware like P cars.

All car enthusiasts should thank Mazda for re-popularizing the roadster and the bare bones sports car.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
No offense intended here but FWIW... I strongly disagree with this sentiment.

The Miata has always been a fantastic roadster for the money. They get a really bad rap by people some but I think it's largely unwarranted.

I've seen a lot of fast drivers circle a track in a "lowly" Miata much faster than supposedly superior hardware like P cars.

All car enthusiasts should thank Mazda for re-popularizing the roadster and the bare bones sports car.

My 2 cents.
mazda makes great handling cars period... always have always will... and the miata is the star of the show
Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 AM
georgiadis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

I haven't quite understood what you are comparing - 911 vs (335 or Miata) or 911 vs (335 and Miata) or just 911 vs 335..
I used to own a '90 Miata, then an '05 MX-5 Limited (which is still in our garage back home) and now a 996 Targa. My dad recently got a 335 Coupe.

If you don't mind the lack of (usable) rear seats and turbo-like torque, the 911 beats the 335 hands down.
I haven't driven the 335 yet, but my dad says that he enjoys my 996 more than the 335, despite the latter being 6 years newer.

As far as the Miata is concerned, I still regret selling my '90 and kind of regret buying the '05 - it is not a bad car, specially after replacing the suspension, but nothing exhilarating - although it is surprisingly fast on the track!
The Miata and 911 sure have a lot in common, but the 911 is surely not a Miata with a lot of power. No way!
I think that the simplest way to describe it is that both are cars with a lot of character. They feel special, but in different ways. You have to drive them to understand their virtues.

The 335 I guess you can expect how it will feel - pretty similar to an S4, a CLK 55, etc...

The engine hanging out the back makes the 911 a driving experience like no other. Furthermore, the feeling when driving - the cabin, the layout, the leather, everything, feels very special, very unique!
By comparison this is not true in a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi...

P.S. About people having the "nerve" to compare a 911 to a Miata, I can understand that many people feel snobbish even at the thought of a Miata, but I guess that is because they have never driven one. A car doesn't have to be expensive to be good or fast or whatever...
There is a reason it came in the top-10 list of the greatest driver's cars ever by EVO Magazine (www.evo.co.uk). For the record, the '99 996 GT3 was in the top-10 list.
And the list (all the way down to the top 100) consisted of Ferraris, Porsches, Lamborghinis, Lotuses, the McLaren F1, etc... long list!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Nothern
5th Gear

Hi guys I really appreciate all your responses, I am learning a lot from your knowledge. Thanks for the links Nugget.

Georgiadis I have never driven a 911 but I have owned a 335i for 2 years and a Miata for 16 years. I am just trying to get an idea of what virtues a 911 has that may be similar, or not, to these vehicles. I will test drive a 911 this summer when I am serious about buying one.

My home is many miles away from a dealership and until recently have not been interested in test driving a 911 because I felt I would never own one, so my logic, if you can call it that, is I would only be depressed after driving what I feel is the best auto on the planet. For me it would be like, having 10 minutes with the woman of your dreams, than spending the rest of your life knowing what you are missing. Ha!

Alex
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nothern
My home is many miles away from a dealership and until recently have not been interested in test driving a 911 because I felt I would never own one, so my logic, if you can call it that, is I would only be depressed after driving what I feel is the best auto on the planet. For me it would be like, having 10 minutes with the woman of your dreams, than spending the rest of your life knowing what you are missing. Ha!

Alex
Sound logic. Once you drive a 911, you will want one, and everyday without one will cause you pain and sorrow.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 PM
ptp54487
5th Gear

I echo the posters who mention the Boxster -- it feels a lot more like a Miata than the 911 does, and has plenty of power (especially the newer ones). The weight distribution of the 911 makes it feel very different to drive. I suggest you try them both -- some people prefer the handling of the Boxster, and are willing to give up some power and practicality to get it.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Gmund48
Advanced

Default Boxster S May be the ticket

Boxster/Miata

I drove the PDK Boxster S with Sport chrono, PSM, and LTD slip at a get together in Zuffenhausen, and it is one of the finest cars I have ever driven, the new engine with PDK puts it in 911 territory.

I actually thought it to be the best of both ( all Worlds) and with a hard top it would replace my 335I cab and I would not need a 911

I was blown away and I have spent seat time in several Miata spec racers
A's B's and C's they are an amazing car, but this Boxster S experience made me stop and reevaluate all the cars. I live open cars and own several early 911s and 356s in the states. This Boxster S was so amazing I can see owning one

Good luck
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

If you are asking--are 911s as "special" as they are reputed to be, answer would be ABSOLUTELY.

There are cars that have that special feel. They make you want to go out and drive them. No doubt the Miata is also one of those cars. Minis are great fun. My DD is a BMW 135i --its a special car in that context.

I had not driven a 911 series for almost 20 years ( by choice). After 3 minutes behind the wheel, I was convinced. WOW--what a miraculous machine.. Picked it up 48 hours later.

I am sure all your questions will be answered as soon as you get some seat time. Bring your checkbook.

Quick Reply: Wondering if: 911=Miata/335i ?