Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New p-car owner, breaking in rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 AM
evolution_gt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he he... nice... wish you had this back when i was living in the bay area... you'll have to drive it down to LA to visit!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:19 AM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. It was early in the morning and I knew the lighting would be great with the overcast so I brought my camera along. Glad I did.

The location is Calaveras Rd. in Milpitas. I frequently road bike up these hills, now I get to drive them in a Porsche, much different experience!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Great shots. Congratulations on your new 911. Question is your color Basalt Black or Metallic Black, just wondering? Again enjoy your new car and as Dan said drive it aggreasively. Seal those rings and go for it. I drove my first 997S aggressively from day one and never had to add any oil in between changes. Good luck.

Jay

Jay
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Great shots. Congratulations on your new 911. Question is your color Basalt Black or Metallic Black, just wondering? Again enjoy your new car and as Dan said drive it aggreasively. Seal those rings and go for it. I drove my first 997S aggressively from day one and never had to add any oil in between changes. Good luck.

Jay

Jay
Dan never said that.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Dan never said that.
Know he didn't say those exact words, but in past posts Dan has inferred, or insinuated to such an extent that it is better to drive your car as it was ment to be driven rather than babying it. That's all. Sorry for the misinterpretation of symantics.

Jay
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Know he didn't say those exact words, but in past posts Dan has inferred, or insinuated to such an extent that it is better to drive your car as it was ment to be driven rather than babying it. That's all. Sorry for the misinterpretation of symantics.

Jay
I continue to say that Dan never implied to push an engine during break-in. Just ask him, will you?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
I continue to say that Dan never implied to push an engine during break-in. Just ask him, will you?

Look, don't get so bent out of shape on this. There's more important things in life to embrace. Hey, if I've misinterpreted him on this issue then it's my error.
Trust me, I'll meet up with him again on a different post. He's very informative, succinct and to the point. I've learned quite a bit from reading his threads. And with that note, I say "good night".
Jay
Old 12-11-2009, 10:08 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Look, don't get so bent out of shape on this. There's more important things in life to embrace. Hey, if I've misinterpreted him on this issue then it's my error.
Trust me, I'll meet up with him again on a different post. He's [Dan] very informative, succinct and to the point. I've learned quite a bit from reading his threads. And with that note, I say "good night".
Jay
I agree.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Sorry to be late to the game!

There are several schools of thought on breaking in these engines. Porsche suggests that you keep it under 4200 rpm for 2000 miles, and when I was picking mine up in Zuffenhausen, their customer care representative suggested 2000 miles under 5000 rpm. Hardly any difference.

Autoweek Magazine a couple of years ago suggested that the "break in" is for the driver--to get used to the new capabilities. Some also suggest that the break in also applies to the suspension pieces--getting worn in together (which would not apply to you).

What we have definitively discovered is that HOW you break in your engine has no bearing on the oil consumption of the engine. Does oil consumption convey something about engine life?

I recall over the years that we generally figured that when you have to add a quart every 400 miles you're ready for a top end (valve) job. But these engines have a small percentage of engines which use oil (1 quart per 1000 miles) beyond what I consider "normal" for a new car. (Imagine what someone who buys a Honda would say to their dealer if told that a quart every 1000 miles was "acceptable?")

What's all this mean? Drive the cars as you will, once it is warmed up sufficiently. Don't abuse the cars, but don't baby them, either. With a break-in, you want to avoid the cruise control and run your rpms all over the place, never spending too much time at one spot. Also, avoid short trips during the break in.

I followed the factory recommendations, put 3200 miles on the car in its first 3-4 weeks of life, and it continues to use about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. It did that from day one, and is close to that still, today.

Some also believe that the harder steels in today's cars have caused them to take longer than usual to break in--up to 50,000 miles. Why, then, such a variance on all the cars out there?

Bottom line: It will be what it is. The better you take care of it during the break in, the longer the engine will last, or not!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:30 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

In essence Dan is non-commital. I say, be on the cautionary side. As of recently PAG no longer bench tests their engines (GT-series excluded). I strongly recommend avoiding the top half of the speedo during the 1st 500 miles and from there on, start creeping up, but not on a sustained basis. This does not mean babying the engine... you can still exercise the engine and vary RPMs below 4200RPM... Just do not peg the engine at 6000RPM very soon...

P.S. - I've broken-in my fair share of engines, and all of them grew fast revving engines, not grandma's lugging jobs.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Personally, if it's my car and my engine, I follow the rules. Others can do as they wish.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 AM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Personally, if it's my car and my engine, I follow the rules. Others can do as they wish.
This seems sensible. I can't imagine Porsche would knowingly give you advice that hurts engine life, oil consumption, etc. They make recommendations based on immense knowledge and information that we do not have.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by tpenta
Hey there,

I think that's the car I was looking at a few weeks ago. Did you get it from a BMW dealer in the Bay area? Instead of that, I wound up buying one just like it (2005 S, black/tan) closer to home.

Another IMS issue! I was surprised at how many cars had either IMS or RMS issues when I was looking.

Mine has 37k miles on it and I was thinking that if there was a major IMS/RMS issue, it would have happened already but I guess it can strike at any time.

Enjoy!

-T
Another black/tan '05 here (it's a base C2 but it came factory with S wheels). Had a bit under 21K on it when I got it in Feb, has 23.5K on it now (didn't start driving it daily until the end of Aug when my wife's lease was up and she took my M-B). I drive avg about 6K/yr, so it'll take me another 2 yrs to get up to your mileage, and 3 to the OP's. I've got CPO until Feb of '11 and I'll buy at least another 4 yr extensive warranty after that (many expensive things can go wrong with cars), so not worrying about IMS, INS, PMS or anything If the engine goes it goes, I'll get a new one. Worrying would stress my heart, and that's not quite as simple to replace BTW I've never taken mine above 3000 rpm. My daily commute is 7 miles each way, 30-35mph speed limits...don't quite see the point in holding it in low gear just to hear it rev...but that's just me.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Brand new engine or reconditioned? From previous post here indicated most engine replacement are using reconditioned engine. If that's the case, does the break-in guideline apply? Just wondering...
I would say yes. And the reason is that while the engine may be reconditioned it probably does have some new and used parts.

The used parts -- assuming they were re-installed in the engine in the same relationship they had when prior to disassembly -- may already be broken in. I note however one may not count on that. For instance a reconditioned engine could be an engine fresh off the assembly line that failed an acceptance test, was reworked and then passed all acceptance tests. While reconditioned it may still be brand new.

If the engine has a combination of new and used parts in direct contact with one another then break in still critical to give the new and used parts time to adapt and for each to develop a surface condition that is immune to wear under all but the most extreme cases (like insufficient lubrication).

So, in short were any of my cars to receive a reconditioned engine I would still treat the engine to a break in as if the engine were new.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 AM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Question is your color Basalt Black or Metallic Black, just wondering?

Jay
Mine is just plain Black.

Quick Reply: New p-car owner, breaking in rebuilt engine