Sponsored by:

New p-car owner, breaking in rebuilt engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New p-car owner, breaking in rebuilt engine

Hi All, new P-car owner here. I just bought a beautiful well-kept 2005 Carrera S last week. It had 42,000 miles and a recent factory engine replacement only about 100 miles before I bought it. From the service record, it appears that the previous engine had an IMS failure. I felt this was a great buy because not only was I starting with a new engine, but it also came with a 2 yr. warranty on the engine.

I'm also following the break-in procedure for this car by trying to keep the revs below 4200rpm (not as easy as I thought ) for the first 1000 miles (manual says 2000, but I think that's unnecessarily long). Any other recommendations for caring of this new rebuilt engine? Any 997 owners with rebuilt engines out there, how are your cars doing?

Thanks,
Roger
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Sounds great. Enjoy your car!
Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the forum, but um...where are the obligatory pics?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Keep it slow until it's warmed up. Then do with it as you will.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by solidst8
Hi All, new P-car owner here. I just bought a beautiful well-kept 2005 Carrera S last week. It had 42,000 miles and a recent factory engine replacement only about 100 miles before I bought it. From the service record, it appears that the previous engine had an IMS failure. I felt this was a great buy because not only was I starting with a new engine, but it also came with a 2 yr. warranty on the engine.

I'm also following the break-in procedure for this car by trying to keep the revs below 4200rpm (not as easy as I thought ) for the first 1000 miles (manual says 2000, but I think that's unnecessarily long). Any other recommendations for caring of this new rebuilt engine? Any 997 owners with rebuilt engines out there, how are your cars doing?

Thanks,
Roger
If you're capable of deeming 1000 miles enough "break-in" why do you solicit other break in guidelines?

My advise would be to adhere to the 2000 mile break in. Why not? Engine may be brand new. Why not give it time to break in properly. Porsche was free to come up with any number it wanted. One must assume the 2000 mile number is based on something other than a coin toss.

Also, I would treat engine to an early oil/filter service: 500, 750 or 1000 miles; pick a number you like. Then treat engine to another oil/filter service at end of break in.

During the break in period give engine a minute or so of idling after a cold start -- I wait until I hear the secondary air injection pump shut off (Boxster) or when the fast engine idle speed drops down to near nominal (Turbo).

Then I drive the car gently -- both cars are manuals -- keeping engine rpms below 3000 until engine coolant needle has been at nominal operating temperature for a few minutes.

I always with a new or broken in engine, cold warm or hot, avoid real low rpm and high load conditions (lugging).

Once up to temp I just drive the car.

Before shutting the engine off I let it idle a moment or two (the Turbo a bit longer) to shed any heat load that might have built up during harder running, unless the previous couple of minutes of driving was city/stop and go driving in which any heat load built up during say freeway high speed running would have dissipated.

Regardless what you do, enjoy the car!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
If you're capable of deeming 1000 miles enough "break-in" why do you solicit other break in guidelines?

My advise would be to adhere to the 2000 mile break in. Why not? Engine may be brand new. Why not give it time to break in properly. Porsche was free to come up with any number it wanted. One must assume the 2000 mile number is based on something other than a coin toss.

Also, I would treat engine to an early oil/filter service: 500, 750 or 1000 miles; pick a number you like. Then treat engine to another oil/filter service at end of break in.

During the break in period give engine a minute or so of idling after a cold start -- I wait until I hear the secondary air injection pump shut off (Boxster) or when the fast engine idle speed drops down to near nominal (Turbo).

Then I drive the car gently -- both cars are manuals -- keeping engine rpms below 3000 until engine coolant needle has been at nominal operating temperature for a few minutes.

I always with a new or broken in engine, cold warm or hot, avoid real low rpm and high load conditions (lugging).

Once up to temp I just drive the car.

Before shutting the engine off I let it idle a moment or two (the Turbo a bit longer) to shed any heat load that might have built up during harder running, unless the previous couple of minutes of driving was city/stop and go driving in which any heat load built up during say freeway high speed running would have dissipated.

Regardless what you do, enjoy the car!

Sincerely,

Macster.
Excellent advice!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Brand new engine or reconditioned? From previous post here indicated most engine replacement are using reconditioned engine. If that's the case, does the break-in guideline apply? Just wondering...
Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Jerry Fisher
Instructor

apply the same break in procedures- new or remanufactured. Enjoy your car..they are incredible machines
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Great advice guys! Thanks! Here's a few snaps I took on my first weekend drive. That first drive on the backroads was surreal! Also just joined PCA - Golden Gate Chapter, looking forward to next years driving events.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Great photos!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:14 PM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey there,

I think that's the car I was looking at a few weeks ago. Did you get it from a BMW dealer in the Bay area? Instead of that, I wound up buying one just like it (2005 S, black/tan) closer to home.

Another IMS issue! I was surprised at how many cars had either IMS or RMS issues when I was looking.

Mine has 37k miles on it and I was thinking that if there was a major IMS/RMS issue, it would have happened already but I guess it can strike at any time.

Enjoy!

-T
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 AM
solidst8
Rennlist Member

Yup, I think this is the car you looked at. Small world.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Black 997 S Coupe, my favorite 911. Great job with the photos - you caught it.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, great job on the pictures. The lighting/setting/composition are very good.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:23 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Were the photos shot on Mt. Tam?

Quick Reply: New p-car owner, breaking in rebuilt engine