Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gage no reading correctly @ 1,200mi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, then I'm taking the car in.

My tank was below 1/4 tank... if that matters, and the key was out of the ignition during the fuel stop. Driving it home in the evening (5 hours later) still read the same near empty needle reading and ~20miles to empty on the computer display. I would certainly expect that adding 3 gallons to it at that point would have put it over 1/4 tank and at least moved the gauge.

All of the VW cars I've owned (85 Jetta, 94 Golf, 02 New Beetle) never exhibited this sort of strangeness.. if they were near empty , and you put a gallon in, the needle would move up some relatively proportional amount. To have the car not respond at all to adding 3+ gallons of fuel is just odd.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Well, then I'm taking the car in.

My tank was below 1/4 tank... if that matters, and the key was out of the ignition during the fuel stop. Driving it home in the evening (5 hours later) still read the same near empty needle reading and ~20miles to empty on the computer display. I would certainly expect that adding 3 gallons to it at that point would have put it over 1/4 tank and at least moved the gauge.

All of the VW cars I've owned (85 Jetta, 94 Golf, 02 New Beetle) never exhibited this sort of strangeness.. if they were near empty , and you put a gallon in, the needle would move up some relatively proportional amount. To have the car not respond at all to adding 3+ gallons of fuel is just odd.
Yes, take the car in....I hope you find a quick resolution.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

From car and driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

"To fit the front-drive system, the front bulkhead of the body was moved forward and the fuel tank was redesigned to hang over the driveshaft at both sides, requiring a separate fuel pump for each chamber."

I have also read that the level sender is on one side and you have to fill past a certain level, enough to fill above the partition, before the sender\computer will allow the gauge to indicate\reset miles to empty. I just can't find that piece yet.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's in line with what I was thinking... that below a certain level, the car cannot read the fuel level in the tank and the gauges just subtract from the remaining capacity based on the consumption measured by the flow meters. having a large fuel tank up front, with the awd components, and giving me frunk space.. I figured the shape is probably very odd and hard to measure near empty,.. for the reasons you specified.

Quick Reply: Fuel gage no reading correctly @ 1,200mi?