Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: LATE MODEL '05 CS2 - 6410 MILES

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The guy who bought it came from a mint 993, which was unfortunately stolen a couple weeks ago. His insurance co. only paid him 30k, and so he went shopping for a nice 997, while driving a rental, which he drove to my house. He really liked how mine looked in the photos and wanted to see if maybe it was too good to be true the condition mine claimed to be in. But when he saw mine, he was blown away. He couldn't believe the condition it was in. It smelled like fresh leather inside and it drove like a new car. He especially liked the fact that it didn't have the Carrera S plastic stick-on on the back lid, 'cuz he knows how much of a pain it is to detail around it. He liked the smooth leather dash without the wart, especially the nice looking stitching everywhere. When he took it for a test drive he loved how crisp and rifle-bolt-action like the factory sport shifter felt.

When we drove back to my house he said he had the cashier's check ready. I was somewhat expecting him to low ball me at that point with a check much lower than my asking price, hoping I would take the money and call it a day. But to my pleasant surprise it was for the full amount I was asking for. He said he had been shopping around and missed out on earlier buying opportunity by hesitating, and that once a car is sold, it's sold. So he wanted to be prepared in the event mine turned out to be all I had claimed it to be. Like I said, he was blown away by how brand new it looked and drove, and was thrilled to buy it from me. I threw in an extra set of floor mats (black) and my car cover, and oh yeah, my chrome license plate frame. He was really an upfront and honest guy and I was glad to sell it to him. I told him I would email him some of my detailing articles and products that I use for him to pick up where I left off. So I drove my 997S for the last time, leading him to the local airport to drop off his rental car, and then I had him drive me home and I watched him drive away with it, happy for him really that he got something he really deserved to own.

The truth of the matter is that I had two guys ready to fly down here (from the AutoTrader ad) to take a look at the car and possibly buy it. A friend of mind had suggested ebay, but I didn't really want to go through that hassle. So I told every interested prospective buyer that the first one to pay my asking price is the one who will drive away with it. So this guy from LA wanted to come today in spite of the rain and said there was a very good chance that he would buy it today. Well, he came, he saw, and he bought.

The whole time he was test driving it he was telling me how similar it was to his beloved 993, but advanced in so many ways. I have never driven a 993 so I wouldn't really know. But I was happy for him because he really appreciated how much I had cared for it and how much like a new car it really was. So in that respect it was a win-win deal. Now I need to inform the other interested parties that unfortunately someone beat them to it.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:41 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
The guy who bought it came from a mint 993, which was unfortunately stolen a couple weeks ago. His insurance co. only paid him 30k, and so he went shopping for a nice 997, while driving a rental, which he drove to my house. He really liked how mine looked in the photos and wanted to see if maybe it was too good to be true the condition mine claimed to be in. But when he saw mine, he was blown away. He couldn't believe the condition it was in. It smelled like fresh leather inside and it drove like a new car. He especially liked the fact that it didn't have the Carrera S plastic stick-on on the back lid, 'cuz he knows how much of a pain it is to detail around it. He liked the smooth leather dash without the wart, especially the nice looking stitching everywhere. When he took it for a test drive he loved how crisp and rifle-bolt-action like the factory sport shifter felt.

When we drove back to my house he said he had the cashier's check ready. I was somewhat expecting him to low ball me at that point with a check much lower than my asking price, hoping I would take the money and call it a day. But to my pleasant surprise it was for the full amount I was asking for. He said he had been shopping around and missed out on earlier buying opportunity by hesitating, and that once a car is sold, it's sold. So he wanted to be prepared in the event mine turned out to be all I had claimed it to be. Like I said, he was blown away by how brand new it looked and drove, and was thrilled to buy it from me. I threw in an extra set of floor mats (black) and my car cover, and oh yeah, my chrome license plate frame. He was really an upfront and honest guy and I was glad to sell it to him. I told him I would email him some of my detailing articles and products that I use for him to pick up where I left off. So I drove my 997S for the last time, leading him to the local airport to drop off his rental car, and then I had him drive me home and I watched him drive away with it, happy for him really that he got something he really deserved to own.

The truth of the matter is that I had two guys ready to fly down here (from the AutoTrader ad) to take a look a the car and possibly buy it. A friend of mind had suggested ebay, but I didn't really want to go through that hassle. So I told every interested prospective buyer that the first one to pay my asking price is the one who will drive away with it. So this guy from LA wanted to come today in spite of the rain with a very good chance of buying it today. He came, he saw, he bought.

The whole time he was test driving it he was telling me how similar it was to his beloved 993, but advanced in so many ways. I have never driven a 993 so I wouldn't really know. But I was happy for him because he really appreciated how much I had cared for it and how much like a new car it really was. So in that respect it was a win-win deal. Now I need to inform the other interested parties that unfortunately someone beat them to it.

great story ben...you did very well...all your hard work in keeping the car pristine paid off

the buyer obviously had your name before you met and got the check ready before hand.

But what I would like to understand why the check is dated for monday. I've gotten checks from my bank on a saturday and the check is always dated the day the check is cut.

Just seems odd to me. Everytime I have sold a car I have gotten copies of the buyers license and one time I even asked for to see their passport (yes I'm paranoid but they said they traveled alot in our conversations and hey you can't be too careful in NJ)

anyhow....great job.

Last edited by buckwheat987; 12-13-2009 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks Buckwheat.

Yeah, good point. I think maybe it's 'cuz the B of A bank cut the check right before they closed at 2:00pm and they just made it for the next business day. But I don't think my bank would have balked if I had had time to deposit the check before they closed today. Monday is fine by me, really. But I hear what you're saying.

When I was writing up the bill of sale I asked him (just as a courtesy) if he wanted me to put down a selling price closer to the average KBB price for an '05 997 (to save on sales tax), and he said that the actual price was fine by him, as he saw no point in cheating just to save a few bucks. I was almost embarrassed for asking him, but I told him that it was strictly up to him since he was the buyer, and that I didn't want to force him to pay more in taxes just because he was paying more than average KBB, and that's why I offered. But he shrugged and said it wasn't worth it to him to try to cheat the state out of a few hundred dollars. So like I said, he came across as a very honest, up front guy. So I think I can say I won't be losing sleep over whether or not the check will bounce. But if it bounces, yeah, I'll be losing more than sleep. hehe
Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 579 Posts

Can I say congrats - - your car was in excellent condition. Why the sale though? Looks like it was your pride and joy. I liked the color, condition and wheels.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by rodsky
Can I say congrats - - your car was in excellent condition. Why the sale though? Looks like it was your pride and joy. I liked the color, condition and wheels.
Yeah, you can say congrats if you like. But condolences would be more in order.

Tried to hold on to it for as long as I could, but had to let it go due to circumstances beyond my control. I miss it already, when I look into my garage and it's no longer there. But oh well, I'll get another one someday.

Last edited by OCBen; 12-13-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Sorry to hear that Ben. Both the car and the foreclosure. There is always a next time. Good Luck to your next venture. BTW, did you verified the funds? Hated to ask. So many cashier check horror stories. Shouldn't you let it cleared before handing over the keys? Sorry to cause you concerns. I just got dinged with a $26k back charge from my bank on some solar panels sold out of state. The guy seem nice too. Had UPS picked up and shipped red, etc... It's sad in today's world when one can't make a financial transaction without fear of getting ripped off. Anyway, you will bounce back!!!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:33 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

wow my 09' has more miles... u shoulda drove it more!!! GLWS
Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the sale - i know, i know. congrats on moving it, you'll get another before you know it.

Last edited by brendo; 12-13-2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: speling
Old 12-13-2009, 08:46 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like a perfect sell. I hope the new owner enjoys and admires the car as much as you did, Ben. It seems your luck is changing and hope it continues in the future. I hope you told him about rennlist!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Thanks everybody.

I bought a 4yr/60k power train warranty and upped the price by a thou. I listed it on AutoTrader as well and got more nibbles from there than from the cars.com ad.
Ben/Dan,
Can you point me towards the source of your extended warranty please. Mine only has 12k and I should probably buy one....
Old 12-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Good job on the sale. Prices are definitely going up for the early 997's.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:41 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ben/Dan,
Can you point me towards the source of your extended warranty please. Mine only has 12k and I should probably buy one....
good question.

Some warranty companie like warrnaty direct won't give a warranty after the initial new car warranty has passed.

The place ben used would be good to know.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that you are Porscheless now..

Interesting to hear that the buyer shows up with a postdated cashers check without seeing the car....just weird...
Old 12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones

Interesting to hear that the buyer shows up with a postdated cashers check without seeing the car....just weird...
Me too.

I bought a BMW 540i a few weeks ago from a retired Suffolk County Highway Patrolman. The first thing we did was go to his bank and deposit the cashiers check. Then we went back to his house and did the title transfer.

Side note. When I first went to look at the car he was vacuuming the leaves off his lawn. I had a good feeling about the care the car had been given.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, all I have is my Mini now. Maybe I'll hang out at the Mini form from here on.

Well, once you get a cashier's check from your bank, you can always return it if you don't use it. I don't think banks charge a fee to cancel a cashier's check. I know mine doesn't (Chase - formerly WaMu).

Like I said he wanted to be ready to make the purchase in the event the car turned out to be as claimed. He saw that it was, and he was happy with glee as a kid in a candy store, and he handed me the check and we did the paperwork.

If the check bounces, you'll be hearing a real sob story from me.

But I doubt that it will. I'm a pretty good judge of character, and when I saw that he wasn't interested in being dishonest about the selling price just to save a few hundred dollars in sales tax, that pretty much confirmed my assessment of him. But . . . . stay tuned.

Quick Reply: FS: LATE MODEL '05 CS2 - 6410 MILES