Sponsored by:

OT: VW squishes the Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 AM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy OT: VW squishes the Beetle

This is according to an announcement that was made at the LA Auto show. Wow, the Beetle will have limited editions made, then gone! Poof!

Is the 911 next?
Old 12-05-2009, 09:26 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a word, no.

Porsche will, according to all I have read, become a pure sporting marque. The truck and the limo will disappear in time. There may be 'extensions' to the current line of roadsters and 2+2 coupes, most likely a new smaller sports car below the Boxter/Cayman.

For me the big question is how well the new VW ownership will be able to replace the current 911 and Boxter/Cayman when the time comes. It was not easy for Porsche to go from the 356 bathtub to the 911 or from air-cooled to water-cooled engines. (I remember the outrage when the 928 was released.) Imagine the howls from Porsche enthusiasts when the new VW-owned Porsche makes that sort of change to the current line(s.) It will be even more difficult to persuade the Porsche faithful to accept change when it will be seen as being imposed on Porsche from outside. And, of course, it is not certain that Porsche under VW ownership will have the sense and sensitivity to make the next Porsche a proper Porsche even if it is very different from those that have come before.

While we wait for the answers, we can enjoy our cars which will always be the last pur sang Porsches.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

When the 11 is gone, Porsche is finished.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I think the New Beetle had a very good run....perhaps the most successful retro car? I think the only other one doing well is the Mustang. Remember the T bird? Anyone who wanted one picked it up in the first production year. The Golf is simply more practical.

VW is one of the geatest auto producers of all time. Their product line is very impressive. They normally excel in each categry/class they are in and are very innovative. They also make a ton of money ( also, have you seen their stock price?) which is not bad for a company that has a lot of their production and design in a high cost unionized country. Porsche is agreat company that makes great cars but they are vulnerable. The market for sports cars is severely cyclical and a few more of those could kill the company. Porsche got into SUV market late in the game with a heavy model...not the trend. In the end the SUVs and the four door sedan won't save them. VW has a lot to offer Porsche. I still think the next big thing for the 911 is an aluminum body. VW has great experience with this in-house. I believe there will be fewer 911 models at higher prices in the future and the volume focus will be on the Boxster/Caymann and the new entry level car shared with VW. The Panamera is unviable unless it is built on a shared platform ( Phaeton/A8/Bentley). Finally, Porsche almost self destructed when it tried to take over VW. They could have gotten themselves into a real mess and then taken over by Tata or Fiat.

Finally, weren't the 993's the last of "the real Porsches"?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:36 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
... Finally, weren't the 993's the last of "the real Porsches"?
No.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No.
My point exactly! ...... I was just being sarcastic.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
And, of course, it is not certain that Porsche under VW ownership will have the sense and sensitivity to make the next Porsche a proper Porsche...

While we wait for the answers, we can enjoy our cars which will always be the last pur sang Porsches.
Oh, please.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no way
Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

VW squishes the beetle because that car sucks. What does that have to do with the 911?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It looks like a 911, sort of!
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by DRJMK
This is according to an announcement that was made at the LA Auto show. Wow, the Beetle will have limited editions made, then gone! Poof!

Is the 911 next?
I thought the news was only that the current model was being shut down. Then after factory retooling, the newer Beetle design (lower and sleeker) would start production.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The retro Beetle was off the Golf platform. Really had nothing to do with the rear engine simplicity of the original Beetle. Much like the 'new' Thunderbird, the retro look was a skin-deep marketing device that worked for a couple of years and then lost it's novelty. There were always much better, more practical hatches on the mkt, imo. Not a car I will miss... The 911 is, by contrast, an icon that actually draws in some ways off a long tradition. Plus -- unlike the the bug -- the 911 is awesome.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstams
I thought the news was only that the current model was being shut down. Then after factory retooling, the newer Beetle design (lower and sleeker) would start production.
that's interesting...I didn't read anything else other than the new Beetle was doomed. It's nice to see you, my friend!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:29 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by DRJMK
that's interesting...I didn't read anything else other than the new Beetle was doomed. It's nice to see you, my friend!
Back at ya. Hope you're having a good holiday season.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

why on earth would they want to replace the 997 ? the car is perfect. people love them.

Quick Reply: OT: VW squishes the Beetle