Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: VW squishes the Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

pick up the Jan 2010 C&D, talks alot about the VW plans for Porsche. An entry level roadster below the Boxster with 4 cyl turbo power, the mid sized SUV, and VW wants the 911 to be a platform that receives extensive technological changes going forward.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
This is according to an announcement that was made at the LA Auto show. Wow, the Beetle will have limited editions made, then gone! Poof!
Yeah, I heard that... and am scratching my head.

Granted I don't know what the sales numbers are and profit margins of late on them... but based on what I'm seeing on the road, its a massively popular car, and rather iconic for the company. I'm wondering if this is really justified or if they want to pull it off the market to build some demand again and in 10 years or so release the New New Beetle.

But given that VW execs have made some incredibly stupid moves in the recent past: The Phaeton, the CC, a mini-van? (whatever that abomination is called.. Routon?) and have turned the the Golf not only into an ugly stepchild of its former uniquely VW looking self, but also passed that hideous design onto the (we cannot have it in the US) Scirocco.... one wonders if VW is intentionally trying to self-destruct. They sure are making a valid attempt at it. Are they tired of being the #1 car company in the world?

Well, I'm still holding my hopes up that a TDI-Electric Hybrid Golf will make it to the US at some point getting massively huge MPGs..... but if they continue to build fugly cars...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:59 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

New Beetle was one of the first cars with side airbags (FWTW) and one of the first cars with thoroughly modern crash structures in mind.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Yeah, I heard that... and am scratching my head.

Granted I don't know what the sales numbers are and profit margins of late on them... but based on what I'm seeing on the road, its a massively popular car, and rather iconic for the company. I'm wondering if this is really justified or if they want to pull it off the market to build some demand again and in 10 years or so release the New New Beetle.

But given that VW execs have made some incredibly stupid moves in the recent past: The Phaeton, the CC, a mini-van? (whatever that abomination is called.. Routon?) and have turned the the Golf not only into an ugly stepchild of its former uniquely VW looking self, but also passed that hideous design onto the (we cannot have it in the US) Scirocco.... one wonders if VW is intentionally trying to self-destruct. They sure are making a valid attempt at it. Are they tired of being the #1 car company in the world?

Well, I'm still holding my hopes up that a TDI-Electric Hybrid Golf will make it to the US at some point getting massively huge MPGs..... but if they continue to build fugly cars...
Actually VW is one of the few companies that continues to make lots of money. True, the Phaeton did not do well in the US but I saw a fair number of them when I was living in Germany. Great value, when you consider the twin turbo version with a different styling is sold at double the price ( Bentley) I am not into the CC but that car is an interim model to get the market used to the idea of a more up market vehicle as they get ready to introduce the larger US produced vehicle in a few years. The minivan is something I would never consider... a Chrysler van with an ugraded suspenion and interior at a highr price. It is still a Chrysler. That was not a bad move at all. They had to invest very little to get that vehicle to market. The Transporter is one I would prefer but not that attractive for most Americans buying minivans. The Beetle had a very good run for a retro car. The Golf is simply one of the most commercially important and successful cars ever produced. In Europe, that car is prefered but people settle for an Opel, Renault, Fiat or Ford as they are generally cheaper. Sales are consistently in the 500,000 to 1,000,000 per year range. Actually I find it amazing to produce them in Germany ( high cost ) and sell them in the US ( weak currency) for less than $20,000.

Sorry folks, but it was Porsche that got itself into huge trouble trying to take over VW. My biggest regret is that I did not buy VW stock 10 years ago. Oh well....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Actually I find it amazing to produce them in Germany ( high cost ) and sell them in the US ( weak currency) for less than $20,000.
Most US market VWs are made in Mexico.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
New Beetle was one of the first cars with side airbags (FWTW) and one of the first cars with thoroughly modern crash structures in mind.
That's a big reason why I bought one for my daughter oh........ and she thinks its cute.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Jettas and Beetles are made in Mexico. Golfs were brought in from Brasil in the past but the Golfs sold today are from Northern Germany. The engines ( 5 cyl) are made in Mexico, I believe
Old 12-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It all depends on which models you get, in what year, to determine where they are made. Frequently, the more high volume, middle of the market cars come from Mexico for the US market. The more specialty models, like the Golf GTI came from Germany. My 85 Jetta came from Germany, my 94 Golf and 02 New Beetle from Mexico.

I'm not saying the VW is not still making money, but if they want to become another american car company that is indistinguishable from the rest of the formulaicly rounded, wind-tunnel vanilla styled sedans.. they are doing the right thing.

I am puzzled about the Phaeton in Germany... the same rule there applies as here... moreso there... VAG already has a brand to sell upmarket sedans in, its called Audi. The problem is they are confusing the market on what their brands are all about.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Minok
It all depends on which models you get, in what year, to determine where they are made. Frequently, the more high volume, middle of the market cars come from Mexico for the US market. The more specialty models, like the Golf GTI came from Germany. My 85 Jetta came from Germany, my 94 Golf and 02 New Beetle from Mexico.

I'm not saying the VW is not still making money, but if they want to become another american car company that is indistinguishable from the rest of the formulaicly rounded, wind-tunnel vanilla styled sedans.. they are doing the right thing.

I am puzzled about the Phaeton in Germany... the same rule there applies as here... moreso there... VAG already has a brand to sell upmarket sedans in, its called Audi. The problem is they are confusing the market on what their brands are all about.
Several years ago VW's strategy was to position VW against Mercedes for more conservative models in the mid to premium market. VW also positioned Audi againt BMW for sport/premium market. Their strategy has worked ( think globally). In fact Mercedes saw this move and started to move into the Golf and similar segment with the A and B class cars. VW is now planning to build a car in the US that is larger than the current Passat but not not as high-end (cheaper). We will see if the US buyers go for it.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

You may want o check out the window stickers on the Rabbit/Golfs in the showrooms these days. I think the only models sold today made in Mexico are the Jetta and New Beetle. For the US market , the Sportwagen, Golf and Passat are all made in Germany. The Toureg in Bratislava, and not sure about the Tiquan ( Eastern Europe also?). The Touran is, of course, a Dodge.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Considering that VW sells 10X more Jettas than Golfs in the US, I belive my point was made accurately.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Considering that VW sells 10X more Jettas than Golfs in the US, I belive my point was made accurately.
That's a very narrow description ... how many VWs ( all VWs) are made in Mexico then compared to Germany, Brasil, US and Eastern Europe? In fact.... show us the numbers..... you may be right!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Jeezus...do a Google search for 'US VW sales', and you will find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa...oup_of_America

VW survives in the US because of Mexican made Jettas, period. Now is my point proven?
Old 12-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Jeezus...do a Google search for 'US VW sales', and you will find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswa...oup_of_America

VW survives in the US because of Mexican made Jettas, period. Now is my point proven?
I hope you know how to count and add. For the 2008 statistics given on that site 52 % of the cars were NOT from Mexico. That is all models except the New Beetle and Jetta......JEEZ........ You seem to need to prove something but......to answer your question....NO
Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I need to prove something? Go re-read the thread, and look at the Wiki chart more carefully. You found it "amazing" that VW could produce cars in Germany and sell them here so inexpensively. I said most US VWs are made in Mexico, and you felt compelled to challenge that statement twice. Did I do comprehensive research before an eight word internet forum reply? No, I didn't, and I was off by ~2% on my estimation that "most" (IF the definition is taken literally, and IF you assume the Wiki chart of Jan-May sales represents the current year; note that Jetta sales are trending upwards as a percentage of overall VW sales) of US market cars are Mexican made. However, the point of my original post, which I didn't think needed to be explained, but apparently does, is that VW does not rely on profit from German models in the US market, so it isn't "amazing" that the German models are sold so inexpensively.

Quick Reply: OT: VW squishes the Beetle