997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i wish Porsche wasn't so excited about alcantera and paddle shifters... all due respect, maybe add more of your thoughts on the $40k, water-cooled, mini t-rex roaring under the rear spoiler, after commenting about any such squeaks.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boolala
How does someone reconcile with the cognitive dissonance of describing their car as "flawless" and, in the same breath, admitting a "slight creak in the right front dash?"

Oh, almost flawless..satisfied?

I guess I don't blame the creak on the cars build quality but the stiffness of the suspension and have to realize something is going to have to give. Bad TPS sensor thats a mulligan I do get your point though..
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM
pacovinoly
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This morning I took my 06 Cab S (46K miles) to get an annoying rattle somewhere behind the instrument console fixed. The dealer just called and said they found it and it's not just a simple rattle, but a crack in the frame. WTH? They're calling Porsche to see if they will cover it under warranty as this is usually not covered. Has anyone ever heard of this? I bought the car used from the dealer and it is Porsche certified. Not sure what to think but will wait to see what Porsche says.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by pacovinoly
This morning I took my 06 Cab S (46K miles) to get an annoying rattle somewhere behind the instrument console fixed. The dealer just called and said they found it and it's not just a simple rattle, but a crack in the frame. WTH? They're calling Porsche to see if they will cover it under warranty as this is usually not covered. Has anyone ever heard of this? I bought the car used from the dealer and it is Porsche certified. Not sure what to think but will wait to see what Porsche says.
Since these cars are of a monocoque design and construction which has no frame I have no idea what your dealer is talking about.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:13 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Since these cars are of a monocoque design and construction which has no frame I have no idea what your dealer is talking about.
Amen... that explanation sounds like total BS.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

The best cars of that type? Well, we drove Acura sedans while in business and never had a complaint in (quick arithmetic) roughly 250,000 miles. And we have a low threshold of complaint for expensive cars. Then we retired and I bought Cindy an NSX to celebrate. The equivalent of a Targa top, but still I'd have to say that was the most solid car we ever owned. The suspension was somewhat more compliant than this 911S with PASM, but that has to be the case with a topless model unless you weld the doors and do some other fancy stuff for racing. Conversely, top-off cars are notorious for squeaks with the top on because the chassis stiffness is inadequate. That was never the case with the NSX. No dreaded cowl shake, and nary a rattle. No I tell a lie: one rattle heard every few months when a small high frequency bump was hit at parking speed, like a driveway exit. That was finally traced to the LoJack unit having been mounted under the dash with an antenna or some other part vibrating sympathetically to a shock of just the right frequency. Nothing from the manufacturer ever made a sound in the 145,000 miles we put on it. (Well, not to speak of the engine, which made some very lovely sounds indeed. It is another exotic after all. No improper sounds for a sports car.

I'd like to think this 911 will stay as solid as that NSX did. It seems to be doing quite well at 12,000 miles and so far I wouldn't rate it any lower. Better, if you take into account the stiffer suspension, which offers more reason for the odd bit here and there to rattle.
At the risk of hijacking this thread... my 08 997S replaced a 1998 Acura NSX-T. I didn't put as many miles as you did on your NSX but my experience mirrors yours. Absolutely fantastic automobile. It's nothing short of a god damned shame that the company that made the NSX and S2000 (two very, very good REAL sports cars) never really updated either car to speak of and have apparently let all passion die in their company.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear that.

I seldom hear of a crack body-frame in 911... If the crack is caused by some manufacturing defects, I believe Porsche will stand up for it especially the car is CPOed.

On the other hand, afterall the car is four years young with 46k miles. God knows what the previous owner did with the car or if it had any previous accidents (if it was a single car accident and the owner had it repaired without reporting it...) However, even so, the car is CPOed (always a good thing), so if I were you I would fight for replacing the car with another CPO one, or other fair arrangment to make you happy.

Best luck, please keep us posted how it turns out.

Regards,
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quattro Libre
Hi there,

I was wondering if people could give some impressions of 997 build quality. Do you find the car has a lot of rattles/squeaks or does it feel pretty solid? And for those who have cars with higher miles, has it developed more rattles to the point of annoyance?

And out of sheer curiousity, what is the most "solid" vehicle you have ever owned?
We have fifteen thousand miles and no rattles from the vehicle yet. Our roads are pretty rough though and periodically I think the first rattle has appeared, only to find it is something lying loose in the glove compartment or my canes on the back seat. I have noticed that when Cindy is not in the passenger seat, one stretch of freeway is irregular enough to start a rattle that I traced to the passenger seat flexing in harmony with the road disturbance. Not precisely a rattle, just a noise that the flexing causes. I suspect the seat back is rising up off the hard point or the latch and then falling back as it flexes. I'll just put a piece of rawhide at the contact points I suppose.

The most solid vehicle we've owned -- as opposed to a sedan stuffed with... well, stuffing to dampen such things -- would be the Acura NSX. Hand built and it showed it. Everything tight after 145,000 miles.

This 997 may well match that solidity, but I'll wait 50,000 miles or so to decide.

Gary
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP should find the National Geographic "Ultimate Factories" episode on the Porsche 911.

Porsche's are built like nothing else.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM
REBor8
Advanced

My '09 C2S is at 30k miles in just 9 months with two extensive golf-flyfishing tours of America. Cold, hot, wet, humid and dry weather. Interstates, back roads, dirt roads. Death Valley to Pikes Peak. I drive it like I stole it (97 zone1 bumps and counting). As tight and squeak/rattle-free as new. Build quality is better than anything I have driven. They just keep getting better and better.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

mY 05 C2S is rattle free. It along with a 1997 BMW 540 sport are the best two cars i have ever owned. Top quality top to bottom all around. My 2006 X5 is very close behind them.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:23 PM
pacovinoly
Track Day

Originally Posted by pacovinoly
Just got a call back from the dealer. It turns out it's not as bad as I thought. It seems it's a weld between two metal pieces in the body. He referred to it as a spot weld that needs repairing. He made it sound like it was not a big deal and Porsche agreed to cover it under warranty as a "good will". In any case, sounds like it's better than I had thought. I'll get the car on Friday and hopefully the rattle will be gone. Thanks for all the great advice yesterday.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
OP should find the National Geographic "Ultimate Factories" episode on the Porsche 911.

Porsche's are built like nothing else.
Except for maybe your avatar!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Just got a call back from the dealer. It turns out it's not as bad as I thought. It seems it's a weld between two metal pieces in the body. He referred to it as a spot weld that needs repairing. He made it sound like it was not a big deal and Porsche agreed to cover it under warranty as a "good will". In any case, sounds like it's better than I had thought. I'll get the car on Friday and hopefully the rattle will be gone. Thanks for all the great advice yesterday.
Cheers! Good to hear.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM
Jeff PE
Advanced

My 09 (3900 miles) is rattle- and problem-free to date. Build quality seems to match my wife's 07 Lexus and exceeds that of my prior Porsches and Audis.

Quick Reply: 997 Build Quality