Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Phone Roundup - Verizon

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009 | 06:00 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Default Smart Phone Roundup - Verizon

I'm looking at new Verizon phones. Not switching from Verizon, so no use going there.

Contenders:

Motorola Droid
HTC Eris
HTC Imagio

Anyone tried these and how do they work in 997.2 - do they work well - phone book sync, dialing, etc?

Thanks,
Old 12-03-2009 | 06:43 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

I have the Droid, switched from the wonderful I-Phone on crappy AT&T service (they can kiss my a$$).

While I don't have a Porsche at the moment (a work in progress), I can attest that the phone is very nice, and loads the entire phonebook into my BMW 7 everytime I get in the car (within 10 seconds). It is the best phone that Verizon has at the moment.
Old 12-03-2009 | 07:28 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Yeah, the Droid is it. Luckily, ATT improved a little in my neck of the wood, otherwise I would jump ship and be a droid.
Old 12-03-2009 | 07:55 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Seriously, I could not talk on my I-Phone (AT&T) for more than five minutes without dropping a call. Clients would tell me "just call me when you get where you're going..". From what I have heard, AT&T has sold so many I-Phones the network has become overwhelmed and can't acommodate the amount of traffic using it's switches and network. I would drop a dozen calls a day on AT&T. Now, maybe one every couple of days.
Old 12-03-2009 | 08:40 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I purchased the HTC Eris and tried it out. I am not ready to give up my BB Storm. I did not try in my Porsche so I cant say if it integrates or not. The phone itself is really good if you sign up for Google voice and use the google applications. My co-worker purchased a Moto-Droid and he loves it. It was a bit too bulky for me as I like them slim and sleek if possible. I think the DROID OS is a good one and they have updates available on a regular basis. I think it is definately worth a shot.
As far as the Imagio, I would pursue that as it is not DROID and MS 6.5 and having issues crashing constantly. My wife bought one and took it back the next day due to those issues.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2009 | 09:44 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

BlackBerry Storm here, works fine in my '09 Turbo Cab, and all other BT vehicles. Takes a bit of time to get to know it, but I run a really slick theme on it, and it works just fine for me.

The Storm II is out now, and is similar, with a few tweaks and added WiFi.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-04-2009 | 01:23 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I'm not much of a phone user, and they are doing a deal; buy one Droid or Eris and get another Eris free. My wife will probably get the Droid and I'll take an Eris - a step up from the old RAZR I have - maybe - I hope. I just can't see paying for one with as much as I use a phone - I hate phones really.
Old 12-04-2009 | 11:41 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Best phone in the world right now (imho)....

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...5a?cc=us&lc=en

Unless, for some practical reason you really need a full keyboard.

8.1 megapix camera in a phone, geezus. Latest bluetooth, WiFi, applications galore. I even have audible air on it so it travels from the bar to the street to the gym and serves all entertainment, workout and communication needs.

Do your research, buy the phone you like the best at the best price you can find and then drop in a simcard from your favorite service provider. Wins all around rather than being limited to the prices and offerings from network providers.
Old 12-04-2009 | 12:11 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Best phone in the world right now (imho)....

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/prod...5a?cc=us&lc=en

Unless, for some practical reason you really need a full keyboard.

8.1 megapix camera in a phone, geezus. Latest bluetooth, WiFi, applications galore. I even have audible air on it so it travels from the bar to the street to the gym and serves all entertainment, workout and communication needs.

Do your research, buy the phone you like the best at the best price you can find and then drop in a simcard from your favorite service provider. Wins all around rather than being limited to the prices and offerings from network providers.
Bummer - no Verizon. Where I travel, that's been the only carrier where people could most always "hear me now".
Old 12-04-2009 | 10:55 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Originally Posted by stevepow
Bummer - no Verizon. Where I travel, that's been the only carrier where people could most always "hear me now".
Geez, I had no idea - Verizon is CDMA? Sorry.

I am very, very sold on GSM from a number of perspectives - but here's another example - you can switch providers at a moments notice and swap simcards to use your phone anywhere you travel. Plus, you're not limited to the range of devices locked to a particular network provider.

No iPhone? How do these Verizon people live with themselves?
Old 12-06-2009 | 11:13 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by stevepow
I'm looking at new Verizon phones. Not switching from Verizon, so no use going there.

Contenders:

Motorola Droid
HTC Eris
HTC Imagio

Anyone tried these and how do they work in 997.2 - do they work well - phone book sync, dialing, etc?

Thanks,
Cannot comment on those particular phones, however, I did insist the salesman try out the bluetooth features in my 997.2 when I was upgrading to my current Env3 (given the bold lie about BT capabilities in the my old Samsung A930 spec sheet from verizon/samsung)... and it works great.

So I'm assuming.. that todays phones, when they say phonebook transfer profile and handsfree profile, that it will work. If its a smart phone its sure to have those features.

The phone book transfers fine... and does so each time the phones pair up. You do get a 'last numbers dialed' directory that could save you some searching in the phonebook. But if you have 'voice control' installed on the car, then that allows you to sometimes dial by voice... its the usual tricky bits, especially if two phonebook entries have similar sounding names.
Old 12-06-2009 | 11:14 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by purrybonker
Geez, I had no idea - Verizon is CDMA? Sorry.

I am very, very sold on GSM from a number of perspectives...
From Verizon, you CAN get world phones that are CDMA AND GSM... that is they are CDMA and do take a SIM for use overseas. So you can have both.. though I'm not sure if you can connect via GSM in the US.. though why would you want to given the big verizon cdma network.

Quick Reply: Smart Phone Roundup - Verizon