Sponsored by:

PASM

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up PASM

Tell me about PASM and what you like about it, and is there anything not to like about it?

I am configurizing a brand new Targa 4S on the Porsche website. PASM seems to be an option. I never really paid attention to what it is. I have PSM on my 1999 C4.

Thanks so much in advance for any comments about PASM.

I realize I could probably search and find stuff - but maybe some guys could sum it up for me?
Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

on the S models PASM is not an option....so you will get PASM no matter what.

On the 2009 cars PASM is very nice. I never really use the sport shock setting on the street but I do use it at the track.

If you are into the sporting nature of a Porsche I highly suggest the Sport version of PASM.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:37 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I am not sure if PASM is now an option or not for 2010, it was standard before for S-cars. If an option, I highly recommend it if you are more of a serious driver.

If it is, I highly recommend it, PASM cars are a bit lower, more comfortable than standard in non-sport mode, and much stiffer in sports mode, and it automatically adjusts the suspension while driving based on the rate of suspension movement.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
BuddyK
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys.

I did see PASM as a non-standard option in the design your own web thingy, but those things are often wrong. In any case - after I added all the options I wanted, the price was 50K more than I expected. They really ding you on the options it seems.

I think I'll have to just search for something off someone's lot, or stick to buying used like I always do.

But yeah, I definitely want the PASM for my next car so thanks again for the quick responses
Old 12-03-2009, 09:52 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BuddyK, where are you from?

In north america regular PASM is standard. Sport PASM is an option.

I love PASM in my car. The roads on my commute to work are less than stellar and in sport mode the car is pretty rough. However, when left in regular mode, it is VERY comfortable yet still sporty. It's one of my favorite options!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexb76
I am not sure if PASM is now an option or not for 2010, it was standard before for S-cars. If an option, I highly recommend it if you are more of a serious driver.
According to the 2010 order guide, PASM is standard on all S models.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM
purrybonker
Pro

And BONUS - flip on the PASM when rolling over a series of speed humps/bumps, what a difference!

I've trimmed 0.55 off my Fat Burger drive-thru time.

Seriously - PASM does handle these very well. At the Canada/US border south of me the approach to US Customs has a series of speed bumps that run for a about quarter mile or so.

It can be fun to pass an empty pickup truck bouncing like crazy or a more softly shocked car bottoming out trying to keep up. Now that's performance excellence - rocking through the speed bumps.

Just remember to slow down well in advance of the border station - I've heard a rumour that those guys carry guns.

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
ross74
Instructor

Hi,

I wouldn't even think about ordering any Carrera without PASM.
Most people only talk about the obvious feature of the PASM button acting as a "sport button" making the suspension harder/sportier. But the PASM does much more than that. It is an electronically (active) controlled suspension system which alters the behaviour of the suspension continuously making the car more comfortable overall on rough surfaces (as the car detects the vertical and lateral wheel motion and instantly adapts the suspension to a softer setting) and flatter when you re going for it. Thats independent of the fact you get two settings to chose from.

Plus resale value of a PASM car will be better...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffa
BuddyK, where are you from?

In north america regular PASM is standard. Sport PASM is an option.

I love PASM in my car. The roads on my commute to work are less than stellar and in sport mode the car is pretty rough. However, when left in regular mode, it is VERY comfortable yet still sporty. It's one of my favorite options!
only 2010 on, not on the 09' models.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:07 AM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
only 2010 on, not on the 09' models.
I've checked order guides for both '09 & '10 models. PASM is standard on all S models and option code 030 i.e. Sport PASM is an option for both years.

Last edited by CarGuy21; 12-04-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having the PASM gives you the best of two worlds. As a daily driver and as a sport/track drive.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

PASM was an option on the 09 base models and standard on the 09 S models. I'd suspect its still the same.

PASM is a good option to have, get it even if you order a base. The reason is in normal PASM mode, the suspension is a bit more compliant to bumps than the stock non-PASM traditional suspension on the base cars. If you drive where roads are bad (ie most of the United States of America)... having that extra compliance will have your spine thanking you in years to come.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

PASM comes on S's. sport PASM is 950$ additional and lowers another 10mm and add's "limited slip diff" so if u see PASM as option on S its the sport PASM
Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM
mstams
Racer

Pretty sure Sport PASM is not available on the Targas since they're really built off the Cabriolets. SPASM is a Coupe option.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a new C4S Launch Coupe with PDK, Sport Chrono, and Pasm Sport Suspension. A great combination of options that make it an all around fantastic car. Check the particulars, nomenclature etc...but this set-up is the way to go, especially if you're choosing PDK which alone is a trip! " IT"S ALIVE!! "

Quick Reply: PASM