Sponsored by:

Porsche Sport Driving School - listening to Rennlisters' advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
did the 2 day course last Dec. and the weather was great. Just did masters in Oct. and it rained pretty hard most of day 1. The second day was much better. They can get some snow down there but should be in the 40's.

As others have said it is a great course and the facility is awesome. Someone else mentioned about instructors not riding with you in the 2 day course. I also thought it would have helped to have had someone with you as opposed to just lead/follow. You do get someone with you at the masters class.

The first time I went I stayed at the Ross Bridge. A very nice hotel but chose not to stay there this time. Just did not want to deal with the 45 minute ride both ways. There is a brand new marriott courtyard (I think it's marriott) minutes from the track and where I stayed this time. Had a rental car so went to the dinner at the ross the 1st night but much preferred being closer to the track.
If you request someone to ride with you they will try and accomadate you as best they can.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

First good choice on going:

1. It can snow, prob unlikely tho.. The School is prof and will wk with you; ie you will get your $ worth.

2. Stay at RB first time as you will make some 'fast' friends, pun intended, and the the place is nice enough, and the beer is cold, and the comaraderie will be good. There will be people at the School you will hang with. The bus trip is a good ice breaker in that regard.

3. Be open and relaxed to the instruction; forget you know how to drive, do it their way, be a sponge, and you will progress exponentially..

4. Each part of the class is important. No one part is more important than the other. So be 'present' during each and don't worry about about of time on the track, etc. You are learning everywhere there. And, if you are really listening, its the same lesson in many different formats: Smooth inputs equals a balanced car equals fast times..

5. Mike (Buckwheat) makes a good point on DE before. I had a few in. Definitely helped to "get" what the Instructors were teaching. If you can slide times, I would try to have some 'track time' in just for feel/experience/perspective reasons .. Not necessary, tho.

6. If you cannot do DE beforehand, prior to the course buy Speed Secrets 1 and the Henry Watts 'Soloing' book and read same - not to teach yourself how to drive but to learn the language the School will use and to give the instruction a framework and context. Then, at the end of the DE season to follow, read both again.. It will all make sense, strangely enough

7. If you want the 'Full Monty', or value, do the Performance and the Masters back to back. That is what i did. To use an analogy: Its like with skiing; 4 days of concentrated instructed work will advance your skills more greatly then 2 here and then 2 there, IMHO. This will be especially true if you get back and DE soon after.. Best tip I can give if you can swing it.

8. Have fun and report back ..

GL & Best
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the 2 day course last Dec. and the weather was great. Just did masters in Oct. and it rained pretty hard most of day 1. The second day was much better. They can get some snow down there but should be in the 40's.

As others have said it is a great course and the facility is awesome. Someone else mentioned about instructors not riding with you in the 2 day course. I also thought it would have helped to have had someone with you as opposed to just lead/follow. You do get someone with you at the masters class.

The first time I went I stayed at the Ross Bridge. A very nice hotel but chose not to stay there this time. Just did not want to deal with the 45 minute ride both ways. There is a brand new marriott courtyard (I think it's marriott) minutes from the track and where I stayed this time. Had a rental car so went to the dinner at the ross the 1st night but much preferred being closer to the track.
Chris- that is very good color on accommodation choice. I'm sure it's easier on the wallet too.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Cowhorn;7112162]Come on. Who was timing you? I call BS.
/QUOTE]

It was just what the guy told me when I went to get out of the car. It was a cone course in a parking lot. The cars where - slk 350?, c6 vette, e46 m3, 350Z-those were the comparison cars PCNA brought to the launch for the Cayman S.

I was in the M3 either 3rd or 4th? out of the above 5--wasn't the first trip around the course. Manual - we weren't allowed to shift out of 2nd. I just went for it and nailed the stop box as instructed with a 100% ABS stop. The nose of my car was on the line. (my car is an smg m3)
I pulled in behind the other cars - with guys in my group and they said it was fast as hell with excitement. Instructor told me it was one of the fastest trips. That's all I got - no times or pictures just a compliment by a porsche professional driver (i didn't ask for it in writing. )

Nothing like what you guys do running at SPA and ****.

Padawan learner
Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cello -

I agree with the skiing analogy. I also agreed with another suggestion of doing the local DE events and then going for it.

WHO would go to the same thing 20 times? I know you can pay hurley $25k (customer turned his turbo into a full racecar / got hurley to give him his license.) I'm not sure what level??? but it's high I'm sure.

20 x $3k --- $60k on teaching --- wow... Guy must be screwing the hot bartender at the hotel or something.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Best value for the money is PCA DE. For the price of one PSDS you can get a whole season of DE. Yes, having a pro driver instructor is nice, but it's seat time that's going to give you the skill set, not one 2-day event. DE is $195 a day here in the Northeast, usually $350 for a 2-day.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just Sign-up and attend PSDS!!
You will not be disappointed!!!

One of the "BEST" tracks in NA.

Driving is about "seat time"... Do DE's, do AutoX, Attend PSDS.

It's all good!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I would agree that DE's are an inexpensive way to get track time, that said attending the PSDS will give you the basics from professionals ( not only professional as to their driving skills but also their instructional skills) to make you a safer driver at local DE's and more skilled so as to get the most out of the DE. I have been twice and am going back. Neither my son (age 40) or my son in law has a sports car at this time ( raising kids will do that to you) but I am sending them both to the school next week to improve their basic driving skills .... of course they will get my "P" cars someday, but not soon.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:13 AM
go-C4S-injune
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
First good choice on going:

1. It can snow, prob unlikely tho.. The School is prof and will wk with you; ie you will get your $ worth.

2. Stay at RB first time as you will make some 'fast' friends, pun intended, and the the place is nice enough, and the beer is cold, and the comaraderie will be good. There will be people at the School you will hang with. The bus trip is a good ice breaker in that regard.

3. Be open and relaxed to the instruction; forget you know how to drive, do it their way, be a sponge, and you will progress exponentially..

4. Each part of the class is important. No one part is more important than the other. So be 'present' during each and don't worry about about of time on the track, etc. You are learning everywhere there. And, if you are really listening, its the same lesson in many different formats: Smooth inputs equals a balanced car equals fast times..

5. Mike (Buckwheat) makes a good point on DE before. I had a few in. Definitely helped to "get" what the Instructors were teaching. If you can slide times, I would try to have some 'track time' in just for feel/experience/perspective reasons .. Not necessary, tho.

6. If you cannot do DE beforehand, prior to the course buy Speed Secrets 1 and the Henry Watts 'Soloing' book and read same - not to teach yourself how to drive but to learn the language the School will use and to give the instruction a framework and context. Then, at the end of the DE season to follow, read both again.. It will all make sense, strangely enough

7. If you want the 'Full Monty', or value, do the Performance and the Masters back to back. That is what i did. To use an analogy: Its like with skiing; 4 days of concentrated instructed work will advance your skills more greatly then 2 here and then 2 there, IMHO. This will be especially true if you get back and DE soon after.. Best tip I can give if you can swing it.

8. Have fun and report back ..

GL & Best
Cello- thank you for sharing your thots -- extremely helpful. If my control tower gives me the greenlight, I will def have to plan on precision and masters back-to-back. It may cost me a bit (nothing a bribe of jewelry can't solve) but just thinking about it makes me happy and happiness is what it's about right? Cheers.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Best value for the money is PCA DE. For the price of one PSDS you can get a whole season of DE. Yes, having a pro driver instructor is nice, but it's seat time that's going to give you the skill set, not one 2-day event. DE is $195 a day here in the Northeast, usually $350 for a 2-day.
But what if you develop bad habits with all that seat time? It's not how much you practice. It's what you do when you practice. The instruction at PSDS is second to none.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Listen to this man. He is wise and an excellent driver. He was on the winning autocross team at the Master's course in October!

How've you been, Chris? I am still looking at 360's (can't do a 430 right now). Going back to Birmingham anytime soon?

Jim (fellow Team Martini autocross champ)
Old 12-03-2009, 01:35 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
Listen to this man. He is wise and an excellent driver. He was on the winning autocross team at the Master's course in October!

How've you been, Chris? I am still looking at 360's (can't do a 430 right now). Going back to Birmingham anytime soon?

Jim (fellow Team Martini autocross champ)
Hey Jim, I had no idea this was you!! I think it's fair to say our team was pretty much stacked LOL. some real good drivers.

No plans right now but i'm sure i'll go do the masters again. you?

I'm still itching for an F430 but if I do it now, it will most likely mean giving up my 997TT for it. I may wait a bit longer so I can get the Fcar and keep the turbo as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I too did the "back to back" Performance and Masters classes at PSDS. Cello and I were in the same sessions. I'd been reluctant to do the two in a row, thought some practice time between them would be a benefit. But I was talked into doing the two together and I'm delighted I did.

I'm a total novice on the track, although I've been driving for 40+ years. I learned more, and enjoyed it more, than I would have thought possible. (Even though my g/f did Masters with me and kicked my @$$ in the process. The instructors really got a kick out of that.)

PSDS is amazing. If there's any way you can go - GO. And if you can do Performance and Masters back-to-back, do it. You won't regret it.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant
Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Even though my g/f did Masters with me and kicked my @$$ in the process.
Heh. Sounds like my life. Equi's way faster than I am. I figure that even though it may be a little bit embarrassing, it's still a zillion times better than having a girlfriend who stays home and doesn't like the track. I feel sorry for those guys whose wives and girlfriends won't even drive a manual.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I too did the "back to back" Performance and Masters classes at PSDS. Cello and I were in the same sessions. I'd been reluctant to do the two in a row, thought some practice time between them would be a benefit. But I was talked into doing the two together and I'm delighted I did.

I'm a total novice on the track, although I've been driving for 40+ years. I learned more, and enjoyed it more, than I would have thought possible. (Even though my g/f did Masters with me and kicked my @$$ in the process. The instructors really got a kick out of that.)

PSDS is amazing. If there's any way you can go - GO. And if you can do Performance and Masters back-to-back, do it. You won't regret it.

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 Audi S4 Avant
Listen to DMoore as well as he and his "GF-Ringer" were the Masters AutoX champs and D was the Perf AutoX champ before 'Sabine' drove

Dwight - nice stable there too! Got to love the S4 Avants (true "wolfs-in-sheep's-clothing" cars). I still have the twin turbo version and cannot part with it - so much fun on public roads. I find that I drive that thing more than the other cars for some reason...

Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School - listening to Rennlisters' advice