Settle an argument I'm having!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Wills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Settle an argument I'm having!

Hi Guys,

Despite swapping my e92 m3 for the porker I still post regulary on an M3 website here in the UK. I recently put up a you tube vid of the 997.2 C2S beating both the R8 and M3 (M5Board.com stuff)

Whilst it was no surprise to me they just can't understand the sound beating both cars got, this moved us on the the RWHP vs Crank Power debate. My guess is that the Porsche loses much less than the R8 or the M3 hence the crushing victory....

So the question is what RWHP does a standard 997.2 C2S produce from its 380bhp?

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll never understand the appeal of racing in a straight line. Sounds tremendously boring to me. Still... Here's a link to a dyno on Sharky's site comparing a stock 997.2 and one with their ECU reflash.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Wills
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me neither but it's all in aid of a bit of friendly banter.....

And thank you!
Old 11-30-2009, 07:24 PM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivetrain losses are around %15 I think, so many variables to account for.

Actually, a friend of mine rented out an 1/8 mile drag strip and we all brought our cars.

He had a RennTech tuned E55 that was supposed to have 600hp, but i beat him every time in my C2S.
I had my r-compund tires fitted and did not abuse the clutch too bad but he was mighty pissed that i kept besting him.

I think his car was not running right despite the big $$$ he dropped on the mods.

I have been road racing for over 15 years and this was my first trip to the dragstrip and probably my last. It was a cool way to spend the day but still, kind of boring even though i made about 12 passes.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Conventional wisdom is that the drivetrain losses for a rear wheel drive Porsche are around 15% to 17%, with the all wheel drive loss at 20%. It would be interesting to hear if anyone ever tested the same motor on both a chassis and engine dynamometer the same day.

Chassis dynoes exhibit widely varying power readings and poor repeatability for results. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% or more variability between machines and/or operators.

Quick Reply: Settle an argument I'm having!